How similar is a 357 HP to a 45 ACP?

From Snyper in post 16.

What has to be considered as more important is the relative percentage of one shot stops for a given cartridge in long term studies.

When viewed in that manner, the 40, 357, and 45 are fairly close in performance with the 357 being the better of the three

This has nothing to do with "lethality"

I mentioned earlier that the only source for One Shot Stop statistics is Marshall and Sanow and that those statistics are highly questionable. By their own figuring though the .357, 45 acp and 40 S&W were close enough in their self defense loadings that there was no real world difference.

To put it another way over 20 years ago two gun writers pulled together some questionable statistics to state that the .357 Magnum with some bullets in them of 125 grs. from Federal and Remington were a few percentage points better at OSS against humans than some other bullets in 45acp and 40 S&W. But that some bullets were better in 45acp and 40 S&W than some bullets in .357 Magnum. More people questioned their conclusions over the years than accepted them. But the myth that 125 gr. bullets from the .357 Mag were better than any other load for stopping people has stuck around.

If you're speaking of hunting ammo or varmit cleaning out guns than you can debate all ya want but there is no clear winner apart from what the shooter feels best with and in bullet selection. I know my preference. Decide what you're trying to do with the gun and pick what will best do that job.

tipoc

Last edited:
Less Capacity? Not so in every case....

The round is much bigger and will have less capacity in the same amount of space in any firearm (unless you have a .45 wheelgun, then bully for you!). Also, maybe I am one of the few who thinks so, but .357 is generally quite unpleasant to shoot and I much prefer a .45 ACP. I own both and love both, but if it comes to any sort of defense, I'll stick with the pistol because it is a much faster platform for me. Plus, magnums are loud!!!

Unless you are talking a Coonan .357...... (then Bully for you!), you can't get 7+ rounds of .357 in a gun the size and weight of a Government Model 1911......

I think you are talking 5 shot snubby- and well, if you want to carry a low capacity nuetered .357 that won't carry well in anything but pleated clown pants..... to each his own :D

I don't understand those who proclaim "there is no such thing as stopping power!" The truth is there is not enough data to prove anything one way or the other. I have enough sense to understand you are better off defending yourself with a 9mm than a 22LR. A lot of it seems to stem from those who like 9mm who are tired of hearing the 45 fans bashing the 9.

There is plenty of evidence to show that modern 9mm hollow points are very good SD bullets. There is plenty of evidence to say modern 45 hollow points are very good SD bullets. There is plenty of evidence to say that ball 45 is better than ball 9 at stopping power, but neither are great. There is NOT much evidence to say modern 9 hps are less effective than modern 45 hps. There IS evidence both ways and you just have to use your best judgment.

See the link for one of the references...
http://www.amazon.com/Street-Stoppers-Handgun-Stopping-Results/dp/0873648722

Oh wow, so much great information in this thread. The most informative so far is
The .45 bullet is too slow for serious combat. A bad guy can see it coming and avoid it by casually stepping out of the way.

The .357 bullet on the other hand, has such such high velocity that it actually travels back in time and hits the bad guy before you pull the trigger.

This is not quite true, the 357 does not quite achieve the time-travel velocity... it takes a 7mm RUM or a 300-378 weatherby to actually travel back in time...

But the 45 is clearly so slow that it often fails to even reach the enemy... if the enemy is 10 or more yards away, the bullet often just strikes the ground at his feet.

But 357 is flat shooting for hundreds of yards. I would go so far as to say if the US Army had chambered the M1 Garand in 357 instead of 30-06, we probably would have won the war in '44 instead of '45...

That is not to say 45 is a bad round. Oh no. Assuming it makes to the target, it always results in a pumpkin size hole being blown clean through. I would rather have a 45 than a 12 gage slug as bear defense, assuming the bear was close enough (see above about hitting the dirt).

Glad I found this thread, it obviously needed a dose of reality before it went completely off the rails...

Jim

HTML:
But 357 is flat shooting for hundreds of yards.

Yes Sir,
You have the correct information, but kind of only half-way. And now I'd like you to know the other half too.
My .357 fly's without dropping for hundreds of yards, but than it starts to rise. I admit first it's kind of slowly, but still travels far enough to reach the higher clouds.

Ps. I have a bridge for sale too, if my memory is correct, than it's the Brooklyn one.

As you can see, I still don't know how to Quote.

When considering the 357 mag for PD, Jim Cirillo touts the virtues of the semi wadcutter, leaving a larger wound channel, which, in the absence of a hit to the central nervous system or vital organs, aids in the BG bleeding out quicker thus hastening his losing consciousness. The other part is practicing shot placement, which is the other part of "stopping power".

Either will do depending with right shot placement and hollow point 357 will do it in a revolver with less rounds and a 45 in a auto with more rounds

Colt46 said:
The 125 grain hollowpoint police loading in .357 has lots of evidence to show it was the most reliable one shot stop defensive cartridge. The industry has changed so much since then I'm not sure that still stands.

One thing HASN'T changed----it's still VERY effective.

Back