How many shots is enough

Seriously?

When defending your life or that of your family should there be a set limit how many shots you can have. NYC's 7 shot limit is a slap in the face to the people who live there and the Bill Of Rights.

When defending your life or that of your family should there be a set limit how many shots you can have. NYC's 7 shot limit is a slap in the face to the people who live there and the Bill Of Rights.

It's a state law and the question as presented has precisely -ZERO- to do with that law or any legal limits of any kind.

If it is single mugger day who flees at the gun - 0 rounds.

If the Black Swan drops you into a Mumbai or Navy Yard - then you might want some more.

Practically - a semi and one extra mag should cover enough of the incident intensity distribution but you never know.

As pointed out, many gun folk think the mean is what always happens.

Capacity

I'm no expert in firearms or combat arts. But do have (worthless) opinions. Seems to me in perceived life and death confrontations, the Police have been known to fire an incredible number of rounds. Sometime with very few hits. Not all Policemen are horrible marksman. So I suspect something else enters the equation. Perhaps it's Adrenalin stress and fear, leading to firing quickly and point shooting. I doubt most of us would do any better if our lives were on the line. I've killed about 40 deer and have gotten pretty keyed up in that non life threatening situation. It's all supposition until the balloon goes up. I personally prefer higher capacity to lower capacity. That's why I do not carry a 1911. I carry a 16 round .40 caliber.

I recall a teacher of mine, who happened to be a Captain of Detectives, talking about how many rounds do you fire..."As many as it takes to stop the threat." Arm yourself with something you're prepared to shoot with and do so accurately.

Laura

Having a gun is the most important thing.
92% of defensive gun uses end without a single shot fired. A large majority of the other 8% use 3 shots or less.

If you're going to carry a derringer 100% of the time, that's a good gun. If you're going to carry a 6 shot revolver, even better. If you're going to carry a "baby" Glock with a small magazine, it'll get the job done. But I see no reason not to keep a 33 round happy stick in your car too :D

But I say the 5 shot snubby you carry 100% of the time is better than the full size double stack 9mm you carry 80% of the time. So it's a personal balance. Some people will carry the full size every day, and more power to them.

I must think that the answer is 7+1 and 8 on standby, since that is the personal norm.

Rapid deployment and marksmanship would be huge factors in answering the primary question of what is needed to stop an attack. I suspect some of the CHL holders I know would be under gunned with a couple of 33 round magazines or even an M61 Vulcan. Do they really expect to hit a "target" when they shoot a pistol once or twice a year on good years when Jupiter aligns with Mars? I digress.

There are some times, when work sends me into less desirable environs, that normal carry is swapped out to 9mm XDm with 19+1 and a backup magazine.

I thought about this after reading the thread. I think you never know. You never know what situation you might find yourself in. I think as many as you can carry is what you should have. 2 scenarios -
1. Suppose you are a woman and walking alone at night going to your car in the public garage and say 6 men surround you with bad intentions - how many cartridges you think you would need?
suppose you only had a revolver with 6 cartridges, would you say that would be enough for the lady?
2. let us take the example of the Indian girl who boarded the 'rape bus' with her boyfriend at night and the bus had what? 5 or 6 bad guys who attacked her and her boyfriend. Forget the cartridges, she did not even had a gun.
Now how many cartridges would you say she might have needed to stop the attackers, supposing she had a gun?
I think you never know and you should have as many as you can carry. But it also depends on how good you can shoot, shoot good under stress.
that is my humble opinion.

Honestly in those two scenarios if the attackers are dead set on pressing on after the first shot it isn't going to matter much how many shots the lady has. Short of Bruce Willis there aren't many folks out there with the skills to take down 6 attackers.

Usually 6+1 and a reload of 7. Sometimes more. Truth is that you can't predict what evil lurks around the corner. I think mindset is more important for self defense than the magazine capacity of a CCW. If I can get away using the gray matter between my ears and my running shoes...I'll take that option first.

Statistically, isn't the average gunfight something like 1.7 rounds?

Well, OK, but statistically, you won't ever need to shoot......

So if you find yourself needing to defend with a firearm, you need to accept that "statistics" now hate you and are working against you. Do not rely on them, for they are fickle and will turn and bite without warning.

If I can get away using the gray matter between my ears and my running shoes....

My gray matter has been forced to accept that my ability to run in fact ran away years ago. So I have to use my gray matter to formulate a different Plan A. And for the original question, I will sometimes carry only a 5-shooter and a reload, but that has to be in .44 Special. Mostly it is 8 + 1 of 9mm plus reload, or 5 +1 of .45 ACP plus reload (or will be again when my XD(s) gets the safety recall upgrade on it).

Bart Noir

Suppose you are a woman and walking alone at night going to your car in the public garage and say 6 men surround you with bad intentions - how many cartridges you think you would need?

As mentioned above, this very much depends on the reactions of those attackers.

If the lady opens up with a semi-auto, they have no idea if it contains 7 shots or 17. And that is without reloading. After BG 1 is hit and screams, and BG 2 is hit and goes down silently, with maybe several close misses in between, will all the rest stick around to get shot at? I don't think so.

But it is really up to them. A Jamaican ninja assassination squad will finish the attack no matter how many dreadlocked foreheads get shot through and through. So there can be some very bad results even for the very well-armed citizen.

Bart Noir
Who remembers Ayoob's phrase: "A gun without a reload is only a temporary gun."

In my job I wear 9 month in the year only shirt and pants, so I can't carry a bigger gun than a derringer, because I can't and I won't carry it open. I don't know what kind of jobs the most of you have, that they can carry a full size pistol like a glock 17 , but for me is the derringer the only way to carry a powerfull gun, sure could I carry .22 like a astra cub or a beretta 950 but that guns have no stopping power.

Who remembers Ayoob's phrase: "A gun without a reload is only a temporary gun."

Yea, but then all guns are temporary guns. Sooner or later you will be out of BBs.

A good knife, on the other hand, never needs reloading (but it may need re-sharpening!)

Deaf

I shoot very well. I carry a Glock, depending on season it is a fullsize 40 or a compact 40. I carry 2 reloads most of the time and 1 reload in the heat of summer. Then I add a Bug and one reload.

How many rounds are enough? whatever it takes. I am not limiting myself by using statistics based on gunfights that the good guys lost. Statistics mean nothing to the individual, what happens when you are the ONE?

There is no magic number. Train realistically, shoot a lot of practice rounds and train some more. You have to have that kick in automatically orbit won't matter. And even then you can end up dead.

And now we know that Deaf is a descendant of one James Bowie.:D

But there are places in USA where carrying a defensive knife is less legal than carrying a defensive handgun.

Bart Noir

Hi Blacktimberwolf. Nice to have another international forum member, especially one from a land of fine handguns. I'm the happy owner of a few used German police guns and would not mind another, that being a used German-made SIG P228. Not much chance of finding one, I know.

I am taking no chances with losing my job so don't carry to work, not even to leave the gun in the parked car in the company "car park". The rest of the time, well, you know the answer to that.

Bart Noir

Back