How many of you sleep with a loaded gun ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hook686

http://www.aolnews.com/crime/articl.../19615576?icid=main|main|dl1|sec3_lnk2|167627

A 69 year old woman sleeps with a handgun under her pillow. It seems to have saved her from serious injury. I have decided that a loaded gu near my bed is an unsafe practice, as I have been noted to pick up the gun in my sleep.

Do you sleep with a loaded gun ? Will it really save you time to grab it before you are fully awake and alert. Would it be better to have the loaded gun close by, but require you to wake up, get up and consciously retrieve the weapon before it could be used ?

Yep. I work out of town alot and always keep my .357 next to the bed in the hotel. My wife keeps her .22 on one side of the bed and a MAK 90 behind the door:D

Wife jokes aside …:D. I don’t care for a pistol in the bed. I do, however have a holster modified to hang on the side of the bed, still under the covers, with a loaded pistol in it… also a few other firearms in the room.

My carry weapon sleeps on the nightstand next to me. Shotgun is under the bed. Would never sleep with it under the pillow, safety hazard and I think the deployment time of finding out where exactly the pistol is in the mess of sheets and pillows would not be good.

I guess it's different for everyone. I have it close by and ready to go but with a few hurdles so I have to wake up fully. Having guns in my bed is bad for everyone in my neighborhood and probably the gun too. Who knows how I would treat that gun given the crazy stuff I do in my sleep. I might disassemble it and put the spring in backwards, or leave parts out. I may think it's a hammer and start hanging a picture with it. It might hog the covers and then I'd get angry and who knows what would happen after that.:D

lol, usually more than 1. i have 2 carry guns that i rotate and 1 bedroom gun. they are either on or in the dresser every night.

I have been told that the reason many people like night sights is that they enjoy the comforting glow on the night stand beside the bed.

pax

I don't keep a gun by me when I sleep. 99% of the time, I wake up alert enough that it would be safe, but that other 1% of the time I wake up from a wild REM-state dream, and don't know where I am or *what* I am for a few seconds. So I leave the gun in the office, where I have to get to it and open a door.

If we had a nighttime invader, I'd probably go for the shotgun anyway; it's almost as close and a lot more effective.

I have been told that the reason many people like night sights is that they enjoy the comforting glow on the night stand beside the bed.

It's not the only reason I like them but one of the reasons.

I have a loaded pistol on my night stand. I'm not very groggy when I wake and I wake quickly to unusual noises.

At home, I sleep with my handgun & my wife's shotgun in a quick-access safe near the bed. When I'm on a hike, I sleep with the guns just outside the door of the tent. I do this because, on occasion, I will have a very vivid dream and say weird things to my wife like "look! There's a cartoon crawling through the window!" ...and I'd rather just talk about the dream than shoot at it.

Right side bed rail my 1911 and LED fit perfect. So its not in the bed but I barely have to move to get it, its within arms reach.

Mine sits on my dresser, which is right next to the bed, but about 1.5 feet above the mattress...enough so its very close by, but not where I would ever accidentaly do something with it while sleeping...
Up on that dresser are a Glock 23 loaded with 14 rounds of 40 cal hollowpoints, a Smith and Wesson 686 357 magnum with 7 rounds of 125 graiin 357 hollowpoints, and a lcp loaded with 7 rounds of crappy 380, just in case:D

Will it really save you time to grab it before you are fully awake and alert.

There's no yes or no answer to the question.

It has saved many people, the accurate number for which is unknown. Not all are saved while in bed, just as some aren't saved no matter where they happen to be armed.

Glock 23 is above the bed on the headboard. It is in condition 3 (magazine inserted, no round in chamber)... that's the way I do it, I know some or maybe even most keep one in the chamber, but I don't.

I am with Hoskins on condition 3, but I keep mine across the room in the desk. I tend to wake pretty alert, Ive had jobs where it was necessary, and I havent been know to do funny things in my sleep. I'd keep it in the nightstand if I had one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back