How many guns this year?

Me said:
What I really want to buy is a quality AK, and a quality AR15. But my job sucks, and I wince every time I look at my paycheck.

That same pawnshop has some cheap pump shotguns simply labeled "Winchester 12 gauge". I'm terrified that one might be a Winchester Model 12 and that I will need to buy it for $200.

Another pawnshop has some $150-175 revolvers. High Standard and H&R. If the .22 situation weren't still stupid, I'd probably have purchased them by now.

That pawnshop also has a ton of old semiautomatic shotguns- Auto 5's, Remington 11's, 11-48's, etc. I can't read the tags, or else I might have gotten a couple by now.

Oh yeah, and I have a project Remington 870 that I will get back into action. It's a police surplus 70's Wingmaster with a magnum ejector, incandescent Surefire fore end, MMC ghost ring rear sight, and no barrel.

I did get the AK. I ended up buying ammo, mags, and drums instead of an AR.

An AR is still on the list, but with recent political events, it's not as much of a priority. And now I'm thinking I might also want an underfolder AK.

I probably should have bought that shotgun (looks like it probably was a Model 12) and the High Standard revolver.

I did buy an unplanned Makarov and a VP9. I'm glad I got the Makarov and it was so cheap it doesn't matter, but with this years Black Friday sales and upcoming CZ P10, I'm not sure the VP9 was a wise decision.

I've also found myself interested in a .357 mag revolver. I really like the looks of the Security Six.

I still need to get the 870 going. MMC is out of business, so I don't know about finding a shotgun barrel with a front sight the correct height. I could buy a barrel with an XS sight and see how if it needs a shorter or taller blade. Or, I could remove the ghost ring rear sight and go with something else. I was also thinking about sending it to Vang Comp, but I don't know. I 'm not in any particular rush to get it going, so it might sit for another year or two.

None this year, obviously, with my age being what it is. Major resolution next year's to find the short term savings when I hopefully eventually find employ to get a bolt .308 of some kind to start the collection. Luckily I'm a January kid, so the year can be spent considering my options pretty much from the get-go.

I'm looking at the tally for this year and hanging my head a little in shame with it coming to 31.
Not all for myself as some were gifts for family and a friend.

I'm betting that both ammunition and firearm manufacturers would agree with me when I say that I think I know what the true legacy of the current POTUS really is.
;)

I'm getting a little long in the tooth so I've been in the process of 'thinning the heard' for the past couple of years.

I've sold three rifles and one revolver this year and I gifted a nice 12 ga. Winchester Mdl. 12 shotgun to a deserving fella.......so five went away.

I did purchase one revolver this year, it's a used 4" blue S & W mdl. 10-11 heavy barrel .38 Special that I believe was one of the Australian buy back police revolvers.....it's got it's fair share of holster wear but it's tight and shoots extremely well.

Last edited:
None I'm broke but did pu 2-REM 30-06 SPS and 1-REM SPS Varmint 308 all with Leupold scopes.I have 2 boys 19 n 22 yro that hunt they will buy there own from now on.

Jesus came to save not judge.

I just fell victim to my first purchase of the new year. Put a NIB Beretta M9 on layaway, just couldn't pass it up but it was an eventual must have for my military collection anyway, the $467 price tag just sped it up a bit...:D

Man, some of the sales are so great. So great that I keep waiting for the next sales to come out to see if it gets even better.

I figure on building an upper that's not 5.56 or 300aac.

I want one of those ruger Blackhawk convertibles with the.357 & 9mm cylinders. I told my wife I need a sidearm for elk camp. You know, bears, wolves, evil humans, etc. ;). So far she hasn't vehemently objected, so it might happen if I can save some cash.

As the member who started the "More Guns or More Ammo" thread that advocated keeping gun purchases to a minimum and spending on ammo and training instead, I have to say that I am going to buy 1 gun this year. This week, in fact.

It will be a S&W Model 63 in .22LR. The reason? It is my New Year's resolution to introduce as many of my friends as I can to gun safety and gun handling. Almost all of them never fired a gun before and my G19 might be too difficult or scary for them (especially the lady friends).

My .22LR training rifle and the new .22LR revolver should get them started with minimum effort.

My answer last year would have been, "None, I'm done." How many did I buy? I ain't sayin'. How many will I buy in 2017? None, I'm done.

None:( We will be spending a lot of time helping our daughter with three small children while our son in law is on deployment. A lot of travel, a lot of weekends 300 miles from home. That coupled with pressing needs around the house, such as the flood of water we had under our house a week ago and subsequent need to divert water flow away from house and the costs associated, I suspect firearms purchases and even reloading purchases will be curtailed.

On the other hand, I will be adding to my inventory of equipment, I am getting an old backhoe from my brother in law. I will need it to do the french drain work around the house.

But there is always 2018 to look forward to.

David

I haven't bought anything yet, but my current wish list that I will be acquiring before hunting season is a Ruger American in 7mm-08 or a lever gun in .357. I'm thinking a Rossi, but will get a Henry if the budget allows.

I'll not repeat my gluttonous behavior of last year, but I have got two Ruger revolvers on order. One of the GP100 in .44 Special and one of the 8 shot .357 Magnum Redhawk.
I think after those two I may go ahead and delve into the 80% realm and leave it at that for this year unless something comes along that I just can not refuse.

Bought in 2016: Taurus 85 and Ruger LC9s ... traded in my Ruger 22.

Wanted in 2017 ... Lever action (Henry) in a 38/357 or 17hmr

In 2016 - three, a carbine, a SD shotgun and a Sig.
In 2017 - possibly two, a CC 9mm and a Sig 9mm

Edit: for 2017, one in jail and one to go...

Last edited:
Back