How fast did your collection grow?

When you have to write them down on a list to remember them all, then you need one more, and so on.

I just refer to it as N+1. No matter how many you have, you always want/need one more

Never tell your significant other exactly how many you have, YRMV.

My gun buying started when I was 16 after owning a 22 rifle that my Dad bought me (paid for most of it, I paid for some) at Age 14. 16 at the end of the summer after getting my first job and I bought a "deer rifle". Loved to hunt small game, but I shifted to using 22's mostly when I got into college and really never bought a shotgun for myself until years later. Shotguns never really were my thing and continue not to hold much appeal to me.

The more regular gun buying started after college and age 21.... bought stuff with a specific purpose in mine.... which meant I bought had around 10 firearms by the time I was 30. Things took off going to gun shows. Still enjoy them, but the internet auctions have changed the playing field to where it isn't as much fun going to regular gun shows any more for me. Oh, I still get that anticipation as I wander up to the door, pay my admission and begin to wander the tables. But it is not the same. I mostly buy at gun shops now and the rate of purchase has decreased significantly as I have just about everything I want other than the expensive collector grade stuff.

New stuff still gets my attention... like the LCR in 327 has my attention and the 3" LCR in 38spl does as well. Just not shooting as much since the Obama shortage on both guns and ammunition. I have not really gotten back into a regular shooting mode as things lost some appeal to me. Factory ammo is too expensive and never really got into reloading even though I have the stuff to do it (press, dies, scales, powder, primers, bullets etc). Part of that is that honestly prefer to shoot 22's with the occasional centerfire.

Never got into blasting away with centerfire rifles of any kind although I own them.

Just won a new Walther PPS 9mm off of gunbroker! So excited for it to arrive. So July to October I've bought my first three handguns. Well, two handguns and a derringer. If I can play my cards right I might have another for Christmas! We'll see.

So many more that I want.... Haha

I just started this year. January 1st, ZERO. Then I overcame my fear. Now 4 handguns, 2 rifles. My husband recently shot one of his friend's 9mm and really liked it, so I have to find out what it was and maybe get one for him for Christmas. And I want a trap gun. And that means spending time in the LGS, so who knows what else will catch my eye...

Fear was cheaper, but not nearly as much fun.:D

Last edited:
collecting concepts

I'm well into double digits in rifles and pistols, collecting classic guns by famous makers in standard calibers (22, 38/357, 9m, 40sw, 45acp and lc, 44m, 223, 270, 308), e.g.

Colt -- SSA, 1911
Browning - BHP
Remington - 700
Smith & Wesson - 15, 27, 29, 36
Winchester - 1873, 1892, 1894, 62
Beretta
HK - USP
Sig - 226

Plus some Rugers - can't seem to break 'em.

Shotguns? Browning, Remington, Beretta, Guerini, Kreighoff + Conn. Shotgun (for side-by-sides).

a Collector likes to brag

When I was 18 years I had 4 with mostly from my dad. Now I have over 330 and still growing when I find something I like. I am 63 years old.

For many years I was more about gathering then collecting. But in the past ten years (more or less) I've become focused on revolvers. In the past five years I've become focused on Colt and S&W 38 Special double action revolvers (fixed and target sight models). I average about two pieces a year and I'm out of trading fodder so I'm now buying.

Last edited:
All you want and need is NOT a collector...

Again, I used that word loosely when I started this thread. I did not mean in a sense of professionally collecting firearms, rather just your own personal group that have been aquired.

My collection started when I was 12 or 13 with a rifle and shotgun for hunting. On my 21st birthday, I bought myself my first handgun, a Glock 19, then after college when pay checks started getting bigger so did my gun collection :)

How long? It took awhile, but like a virus, it eventually spread and took off. I had a pretty major outbreak over the past year, and I think I'm good now for awhile, barring an unexpected "can't miss". Really :D

My "collection" began with the trade of a model airplane for a Winchester 1890 in 1951 and has not stopped growing no matter what I do to control it. Even after untold sales, trades and gifts through the years I still manage to have a couple hundred scattered about. When I determine how to retard the growth maybe I will be able to get the upper hand on my " collection".

Is this fast?

Not sure if this was a fast accumulation or not but here is where I was this time last year...

I started In December of 2012 after a break in in August...
These guys came from my grandfather...
*1960 Remington 550-1 .22 S/L/LR
*1950-51 Mossberg 151K .22 LR
I have purchased the rest...
KelTec Sub2000 .40 S&W (Beretta 96 platform)
Beretta 90-two .40 S&W
Beretta 90-two .40 S&W (duracoat simulated inox)
Beretta PX4 Storm Compact .40 S&W
Beretta CX4 Storm .40 S&W (PX4 platform)
Benelli MR1 .223 (made after Beretta gave up on the RX4 platform)
Ruger LCP .308ACP (simulated orange carbon fiber slide)
Sig Sauer SP2022 .40 S&W (Two-tone w/CPL laser)
Walther P22Q .22 LR (simulated Lime green carbon fiber frame)

Wife's:
Sig Sauer Mosquito .22LR (Raspberry)
Kel-Tec Sub2000 Glock platform .40 S&W

If all works out I will be purchasing a Kel-tec KSG in the near future...

I just purchased my first handgun for this year. Looking forwards to receiving my S&W model 10! Hopefully I'll be able to continue with one every other month or two. I want a 1911 next for sure.

I started to buy firearms the last october, I already have 2 glocks (19 and 26) and an SBR project. At the moment I'm limited by a shortage of firearms that I'm interested in.

20 years ago

When I wrote my final alimony check and for the prior 8.5 years had gotten used to not having that particular amount every month.
That's when the gun safe started filling up. I joined the "Gun of the Month " club. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I had to wait two months to get something real nice !!!!

Back