How fast did your collection grow?

Owned three long guns and one revolver for about 40 to 50 years. Then I retired, took up trapshooting and target shooting as hobbies. 'Collection' has grown mostly in the last 15 years. Fortunately my spouse is very tolerant when she hears another has joined the 'family'.

There's always a long wish list. But mine grew at a slow steady rate of about 2 per year. Nothing wrong with knowing what the next gun will be well in advance though. : -)

For many years I only had a few as other interests gobbled up my time and money. Then I picked up a '03 Springfield that needed some help and my intrest shifted over to US military firearms.

Since then the collection has waxed and waned depending on whether I needed money for a big ticket item like a house. For the last five years it has enjoyed a steady increase. Then I moved to Nevada and I bought something like 17 guns in five months.

I have slowed down a bit lately though...

I was in my early 20's when the handgun bug bit me. I was out of college and working with enough money, but not lots of money. I started with a H&R 22 revolver and moved to a Colt 22 revolver in a couple years. I didn't know much about handguns then. Those were my only two handguns for about five years.

Things got more stable and I started going larger caliber and buying at a rate of about 3-4 firearms a year. As time progressed, when I got the bug again, I was generally averaging about one gun a month.

To this day, I still think center fire ammunition is expensive. I go out shooting, come home, and think to myself, I just shot away $50 or $100 worth of ammunition.... that pained my sense of proportion.

If you don't sell them, they pile up pretty quickly. Buy good stuff. Don't sell unless you have no use for the gun, don't like it, or have very hard financial choices to make.

LOL All of us are afflicted by the sickness! There is no cure!:eek:

If you "can stop at just one" . . . I have all the respect in the world for you. . . but hand-guns are a lot like potato chips . . . after the first one, you can't stop. :)
I've an addiction lol.

Mine started after the first time I separated from active duty. Nothing fancy, just a plain-Jane Beretta 92 FS like the M9 I had carried. Over the next several years I also picked up a Beretta 96 D Centurion, Stoeger 8040 Cougar, Ruger P95 DAO, and Ruger P95 DC.

Unfortunately, after a couple of very bad life events I had to get rid of them all. Fast forward a few years after getting things squared away and back on track, and I've gone hog wild the last couple of years!!!

Current (includes those on layaway awaiting their freedom):
• Gen 4 Glock 19
• (2) CZ 100 (Adj. & Fixed sight model)
• Sig P320C
• Sig P250C
• Beretta PX4 D
• Beretta PX4 SC (*Layaway)
• FNH FNS-9 (*Layaway)

Prior acquisitions (all 9mm unless noted):
• (2) Walther PPQ (9mm & .40 model)
• Walther P99 AS
• Walther P99C AS
• Walther P99 QA
• S&W SW99 QA
• S&W M&P Shield
• Ruger SR9C
• Beretta 8000 D Cougar
• Gen 3 Glock 19
• Gen 4 Glock 26
• Taurus PT-111 Millennium Pro
• Taurus PT-111 Millennium G2
• Taurus 24/7 G2 Compact
• Steyr C9-A1
• Steyr S9-A1
• HK P30 V2 LEM
• (2) HK P2000 V2 LEM
• HK P2000SK V2 LEM
• Grand Power P1 Mk7
• Sig P229 (*Unplanned, emergency sale)
• Sig P250 SC (*Also an unplanned sale)
• (2) CZ P-07 (Duty & 2014 Model)
• CZ P-01
• CZ 2075 D
• Tanfoglio Witness P (Small Frame)
• Sar K2P

[emoji12]

Last edited:
"Enough" is usually just a temporary lull in the storm. Yes, to finding something that you couldn't resist and its often something you really have no idea of the value.

i got my 10/22 when i was 11, was gifted a 22 pistol at 12, got my model 10 at 15, and that was it for a while. turned 18 this year and within a week i had already brought home a mosin and my 12 gauge. hoping to add a few more in the coming months

Firearms are IMO a very good investment in that if the World (strike that--I mean when) sees a general socio-economic collapse paper money will be used to light your fires and or wipe your ....:eek: So as I see it one is left with commodities bartering (guns, precious metals, food/water etc.) insted of commerce based on "paper currency).

I'm a middle-age guy and outside of my College years I have been consistently collecting firearms to the point that I have a "decent" array of pieces within my "collection." I just finished my fiscal gun collection appraisal via the "Blue Book of Guns" and each year I am amazed by how well firearms either uphold there respective values or in many cases increase...Of course, it's all relative to be sure in that my "collection" may look like an 'arsenal' to some and not too much to others.

I will say this, if married keep her happy because that cherished firearms collection you take so much pride in may be allocated out by some Liberal/leftist Justice with either your ex getting half and or Court mandating liquidation of said collection and division of proceeds...Sorry for the veering off topic tangent but if I can educate one guy I've done my work for the day...

While it's hard to predict a collapse of the monetary system, you can sure count on the Fed printing more money. Monetary inflation is why we pay two bucks for the soda your dad spent a quarter on. (You know, the same one your grandpa spent a nickel on.) It's why stuffing your mattress full of bills is a terrible way to save in the long term. It's also why some people choose to invest in scarce, durable, and valued commodities like gold or silver. Guns qualify but there are a heck of a lot of other complicating factors.

Factors like civic upheaval or gun bans are rare and extremely hard to predict. Your guns will always be valuable but will rarely be a good investment vehicle.

Firearms are a good investment even when things are good. They are at least a hedge against inflation.
They are more enjoyable than precious metals, and more useful.
Their value isn't dependent on the fed, or the markets, or debt,...
If you keep a gun in good condition, it's used value isn't much different than it's new value (as long as it's a desirable firearm and you didn't pay too much for it.)

Started with a little LCP for concealed carry back in 2011. Added a S&W SD9VE in 2012. I now have 8 handguns in total, a rifle and a shotgun... It just happens, lol. I don't have the LCP anymore, moved on to a Sig P238.

I'm new to this forum. I came back to guns just a little over 6 months ago. My first purchase was a Desert Eagle 1911. I'm up to 4 guns now. I just acquired a Llama Minimax which I bought just for interest sake.
I must remind myself to set my sights on good quality handguns.

Back