How does it feel?

I have surprised myself as I have gotten older.

At one time I put “feel” at perhaps the very top in terms of handgun selection criteria.

But now I find that has changed. I once loved single stacks compared to the double stack “glock like” pistols.

Not anymore. I am finding, for example, I shoot a G26 much better than my Shield9.

My 1911s and wheelies with hogue type grips might be the exception.

I think this may in part be due to aging fingers and also the ability to rack certain slides easier.

So there are certain guns that I now shoot better that don’t “feel” as comfortable as their smaller siblings.

I really enjoy the feel of a thin 1911 with a straight MSH, especially shooting 9mm.

I searched long and had trying to find a revolver that fit me that well, and finally found an SP101 with a 4" barrel. Definitely on of my favorites all the way from .38 wadcutters up to full house 357 (although not too many of those at a time).

I'll play. My 1911's with beavertails and straight mainspring housings. My Browning HP with beavertail and Navidrex grips and my new Sig P250's with medium grip modules. All feel great.

My FNX 40 was love at first handle. All of the controls are exactly where I want them to be.

My heritage rough rider gets an honorable mention, I love that little thing.

For me it's

Sig P226
Beretta 948 (i'm not sure why this one feels so good to hold but it does)

On the other side I've always really wanted a Beretta 92 but every time I pick one up I end up putting it back down because it just doesn't feel right.

Best feeling semi are the S&W M39-2's, either with Pachmyar professional grips or the stock wood panels.

my 1911'a are equipped with the FLAT mainspring housing, so I know that the grip safety is operating.
BHP is almost like the M39's.

Revolvers are using the Pachmyar GRIPPER's. as they are longer in fore /aft direaction and thinner is the width.

It's all personal taste , as to whay you like and gives a comfortable grip for handling recoil.

I really like a SW Model 10 with a four-inch "pencil" barrel (tweaking the SW revolver junkies a bit) with the traditional stock that does not cover the backstrap. It fits my hand well and balances really well.

I also love my 1911s but different manufacturers have slightly different dimensions. Grips and trigger also affect the way they feel. My favoiret is my Nighthawk Falcon with custom medium trigger, thin grips and a couple of other options that don't affect feel. It's the one on top.

I haven't handled a hand gun yet that my hand doesn't like, but Im partial to my Rugers, Mark III, Black Hawk and Police Six, followed by my Beretta's Nano and jet fire 925.

Back