How damaging is McCain's not knowing how many houses he has?

Saab1911

I've been turning to MSNBC off and on to see if they were showing any Olympics,
and they've been going on and on and on about McCain not knowing how
many houses he has.

I personally don't think it's a big deal, and like a lot of you I think McCain
is re-casting himself as a more traditional Republican. But, at least he's
better than BO from Illinois (anti-gun capital of the universe).

I want to ask you how damaging McCain's not knowing how many houses he
has could be to his campaign?

Cheers,

Jae

dm1333 said:
IMHO, not damaging at all. It is a non issue, a distraction from the real issues facing the country.

I think so too, but the liberals are trying really hard to spin it. They're
really going out on a limb. Are the liberals and BO grabbing at straws?
If so, why? They're not behind by that much.

It's fairly bad. He's been trying (to some extent) to paint Obama as the elitist, and also claiming that the economy is just fine, when the guy is so loaded he can't even tell you how many houses he has. Makes him look out of touch in general, and it's especially bad considering the housing market at the moment.

In fairness to him (not that he needs much defense around here, obviously), once you get to a certain level of wealth this is not as simple question is it might seem. For instance, he owns two condos that are attached...is that one or two? Do you count the residence for his daughter, which is probably in his name? Do you count rental properties? I think the question asked how many "homes," not "houses," which makes it even more vague. Depending what you count, and how, the number can actually range anywhere from 4 to like 11 or 12.

At the same time, this doesn't help the perception it's going to cause among the majority of people who can barely afford one house, or who don't own one at all.

Also kind of sad is the fact that this proved that there was absolutely nothing which the McCain campaign would not try to tie his POW status into. It's turning into his version of Rudy's 9/11, where it's pretty much all they say to anything. The only thing that I think has saved it so far from becoming a running joke is that it's generally not McCain himself saying it.

Now, all of that sounds pretty anti-McCain, but I'll say that personally I think the entire thing should have been a non-issue, and the question itself was a loaded one to which there was no "right" answer. Much like Obama's middle name, it's the kind of silly crap that makes our whole process seem absurd sometimes. But if you're asking about the actual political consequences of it, I'd say he took a pretty decent hit today. And it looks like this is going to set off a flurry of back-and-forth negative campaigning as well, so we'll have to wait a bit to see who comes out on top.

In a reasonable society, shouldn't make any difference at all. The Obamaites, however, are panicking, as they're not doing as well in the polls as everyone predicted, so they're trying to make a big deal out of it. I'm sure McCain knows how many houses he owns; however, considering the number of condos that his wife owns for investment purposes, it's not surprising that he didn't have that number on the tip of his tongue.

Obama's an empty suit. Maybe folks will be smart enough to figure that out before the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November!

Alleykat said:
however, considering the number of condos that his wife owns for investment purposes, it's not surprising that he didn't have that number on the tip of his tongue.

That changes things. I didn't know that McCain's wife had investment
properties.

I personally think it's a bunch of bull, but the average Joe who's facing
foreclosure may see the issue in a different light.

I personally think it's a bunch of bull, but the average Joe who's facing
foreclosure may see the issue in a different light.

Which is exactly what the one ad from Obama that I've seen tries to do, and unfortunately I'd say it's pretty effective.

Trying to play your opponent off as the elitist is a dangerous game when you are, in fact, filthy stinking rich. Richer than your opponent is, in fact. This is the kind of thing that will make it blow up in his face, and I don't think the Rezko ad he's running will defray all the damage.

And appearing out of touch with the plight of everyday Americans is not a good thing when people are more concerned than usual about the economy. Especially when a big part of your campaign is the insistence that the economy is doing just fine, and it's all in our heads. Well yeah, when you have $40M or so of course it seems like any economic hardship people are whining about is no big deal.

Obama isn't exactly poor (no candidate for president is ever likely to be) but at least he's not telling poor people that everything spiffy and they should just get over it. Which is why at least some of his attacks on McCain for this will likely stick.

He probably owns no houses. His wife has a prenuptual contract, so she (or her trust) probably owns most of what they have. Without a lawyer and some time, these reporters won't be able to figure it out either. It could be that, due to salary differences, John McCain may own some fraction of one or more houses. I never saw home number or value being a big deal with the elitists like Kerry or Edwards.

It could be bad is he ignores O'Bama histrionics. He could easily counterattack by pointing out one of the reasons he has multiple houses is he is providing housing to relatives. Then contrast his aid of his relatives with O'Bama's relation they just found living in a shack.

Yeah, it would be a cheesy counter but such is the nature of our political discourse. If the candidates don't want to talk about important stuff (globalism, SS failure, medicare collapse, or the implosion of the world financial system) then they may a well snipe at each other with playground taunts.

Means nothing to me. If it was Obama vs. Satan I'd have to think about who got my vote. I'm voting as much (or more) against Obama as for McCain.

I'd sooner deal with a guy who owns several houses bought with money he earned than some guy who got his house in a sweetheart deal from an influence peddler/felon who now wants to raise my taxes and make it harder for me to buy bigger, nicer or more houses should I want to.

How bad?

I am voting for him this fall but that was probably not a good comment he made to the media as they will run with it like they always do. Look, he is married to a very, very rich woman (multi millionaire) and guess he is trying to look like the little guy out there scratching out a daily grind. Guess that is why he didn't want to tell them he owned 9 houses or whatever.
Hey, you can't hide from who you are. Obama's home was help financed by a felon in prision so what the hell......

This is the same "class warfare" thing that the Democrats trot out for every election. "Vote for me and I'll tax those rich people down to size!!!". It's really quite pathetic to see how jealous some Democrats are of wealthy people. It's even more pathetic when you consider that the Democrat leadership is as rich or more so than many of the Republicans. Look at John Kerry, or Ted Kennedy, or Nancy Pelosi, or John Edwards. They use this strictly to pander to "poor folks".

Obama wants to tax the bejeezus out of rich people to re-distribute it to all the poor folks. Meanwhile, he has a half-brother living in a hut in Kenya that he can't even send a few bucks a month to. I'd like to see someone make a "Save the Children" ad, but feature Obama's half-brother instead of a starving child. "For only 33 cents a day, he could have a warm meal and a clean place to sleep, but his hypocritical half-brother can't be bothered to shell out a few bucks to help!"

how many shares of stock does Obama own? How much money is in your 401k? It's not a big deal, but it will provide fuel for the demagogues.

The rich have been committing class warfare on poor and middle class Americans for a good while now. If there was an effective system to redistribute some wealth from the wealthiest 5% of Americans to everyone else I think it would be beneficial to the country as a whole. Its not like they won't still be immensely richer then everyone else, but the gap would be a little smaller.

JuanCarlos

Especially when a big part of your campaign is the insistence that the economy is doing just fine

I don't believe that Sen. McCain said that the economy is "doing just fine". I believe that he said it is fundamentally sound, which it is.

Back