How big is your "arsenal?

My arsenal is large enough to fit all the firearms of my arsenal and my magazine is large enough to hold all my ammunition as well as a few magazines.

Thanks for the links . . .

Salmoneye: Thanks for the links. I see the survey sample is almost 4000. There are about 250 million adults in the USA so the sample size is 0.00016 percent. Is that enough to get a picture of reality? I guess I'd also like to know the demographics of those who responded to the survey. We'll learn more when they publish the report.

Life is good.
Prof Young

The second article in Salmoneye's post states "one in three children—currently live in homes with firearms." Statements like that are much too vague to assess risk to children without a detailed explanation. For example, the risk for five children living in a home with one firearm is probably different from the risk of one child living in a home with five firearms. And, of course, the type of firearms in a home are very significant with respect to the risk of harm to children. My initial reaction is simply that the author (not Salmoneye) is not yet qualified to perform such research and/or is not qualified to formulate logical, fact-based conclusions from such research. Or the author chose to simplify his research and ignore variables that obviously affect the risk he was "researching."

Last edited:
"one in three children—currently live in homes with firearms."

That's depressing, really, because they used to say half the households in America had a gun. We've certainly gone downhill.

My children grew up in a house with firearms
I grew up in a house with firearms
My Mother grew up in a house with firearms
My Father grew up in a house with firearms
My Grandfather grew up in a house with firearms.

Sorry, but that's as far back as I can determine, though I expect my more distant ancestors also had guns in their homes.

I'll check on my granddaughter, her mother used to have a gun, but it may have gone in her divorce. If she doesn't have one, I'll have to get her one. ;)

If you raise your children properly, guns in the house, even unsecured and loaded are not a risk. If you don't, or you allow all the little house apes in the neighborhood free run of your home, then they can be.

As for "arsenal size", I have no desire to engage in a ..."arsenal" measuring contest on the internet. I will say, however that there's a good chance mine is bigger than yours! :D

I was a young boy when I was taught to shoot. I’ll keep adding ammunition to the arsenal, but I’m done purchasing firearms. My house is small and I have other interests. I’ve discovered recently that gun buying isn’t the most expensive hobby you can have, lol.

After the Fort Hood shooting back in 2009, the Corps Commander wanted to know how many service members owned firearms on the installation. The garrison command mistakenly sent the Excel spreadsheet to all the senior commanders to answer that question...I was shocked to see that while my personal arsenal was respectable, there were several on-post with larger inventories. I counted easily 70-80K (yes, 30,000-40,000) firearms on that massive spreadsheet. Even more interesting is that only accounted for those living on base which was less than 50% of the population.

I have around 50-60 handguns and 50-60 long-guns and I'm considered average from several I know. You won't find many that want to advertise what they own and it's often advisable to avoid that advertisement. I hated the fact that military installations forced registration of what you owned. In fact, Fort Gordon, GA, mandated that you register any firearms you owned and wanted to use on their post range...even if you lived off-post. All that does is provide some disgruntled MP a nice list of what you own and your address. As firearm restrictions increase, so will theft...it's best to keep your inventory on the down-low.

ROCK6

I counted easily 70-80K (yes, 30,000-40,000) firearms on that massive spreadsheet.

Are you saying 30-40k people had 70-80k firearms amongst them? 70-80k does not equal 30,000-40,000 otherwise. Anyway I can’t figure out what you meant to convey there.

One Mossberg 500 shotgun, one broken Glock 17 pistol, two Springfield Armory M1911A1 .45 ACP pistols, one S&W 629 revolver, one Ruger Mk II .22 pistol, one Ruger 10/22 .22 carbine. Ready for most anything here in VT

I decided awhile ago to reduce what I have, in part because I know that my wife, when she becomes a widow, will dread having to deal with anything to do with firearms more than anything else so the fewer that are around the easier it will be for her (or one of my daughters). But I wanted to keep enough to meet my needs. I won't say I am there yet, but I could see getting down to as few as 7 guns. I need six handguns: two for concealed carry, two for target shooting (22LR), and two for strategically placed home defense needs. By having two in each category, even if one has to go to the shop for a repair I am still covered. The seventh gun is a Mossberg 500. I don't hunt, or shoot skeet or trap, and in fact the 12 gauge hardly gets touched. But I keep it ready as a "just in case all hell breaks loose" home and community defense gun. If I absolutely had to, I guess I could really get down to two. My Glock 17 for home defense, my Ruger LC9s for concealed carry. Each of these could back up the other if repairs were ever needed.

At this point in my life I think I have 9 rifles counting a 22 RF and a 22 Mag, 4 shotgun's and about 7 handgun's. Don't shoot them all anymore but won't get rid of them either. Never been a collector of them and have gone through quite a few.

Back