Home invasions on the rise...what to do ??

Here it is 4:40 Sat. afternoon. I'm reading about home invasions and two guys knock on the door...and I don't have my gun on me. I always have my gun right with me, but, I'd been to visit a friend, home after surgery, and didn't put it on when I got home.At least I could see these guys (window view of porch) before going to the door. Any way...they left...I went to get my pistol. Just shows how easy it is to get caught with your guard down.
I have to say if I'd seen 5 or 6 guys dressed in black I'd been going for a weapon quickly!
Mark.

I have to say if I'd seen 5 or 6 guys dressed in black I'd been going for a weapon quickly!
Mark.

Wouldnt it be great if those guyses happened to be ATF or something and asked to come in? I would be scared.

Anyways...

I think you are all much too lax on your security. Not only do I have my G19 on my person AT ALL TIMES other then showering (and even then it is only seconds from me), I keep a rifle in my room ready to go. Whenever I go out to get something from my car I carry my AK. When I answer doors I always have my glock out of holster and in hand, standing to the SIDE of the door. Never know who is going to shoot you from the peep-hole. People who are allowed to visit me have been told a password for when I ask who it is. I change this weekly.

I always leave a small ball of masking tape under the edge of my door when I leave. If the door is opened the ball will catch on the front mat. This is a clue to entry through the front door when coming home. All the windows are locked (looking for a good way to bolster these).

When sleeping my glock is in holster on my bed which I can grab in seconds. Motion lights cover all areas around my house. I keep my ak leaning against the bed in case I need more firepower.

Outside the house I keep my pistol concealed, but will take it out when entering public restrooms in stores and hold it hidden in a pocket. Never know what could happen, you might see a theif ripping packaging of something he is stealing. He might then panic and try to attack me, something I would be ready for. Not to mention lots of people get attacked in restrooms for their wallets since there are no cameras.

My tip to everyone is carry a gun always, the one time you limit your access to it is the one time that it may have saved your life.

Rolling on the floor all cammied up---ROFL!!!!
Thats me! I'm in the service.

That makes me think of not chevy chase but of that guy 'Spartakus' from that kid show...um....Lazy town. The Frenchie fool that doesnt walk but flips and rolls and jumps all over the place. I wish someone would eat bananas in that show. I still am crying just thinking of doing this and making that keystone cop sound: HUP! HUP! HUP! HUP! BAH HA HA HA HA HA!!!! <SNIFF> wait, I forgot my black foil hat with the saran wrap face shield. There. I am now ready for war! I have seen thieves opening packages and I just stand there looking all important like and they just look away like I am not there and leave the stuff behind but come back moments later and I follow them. Of course they find the thing gone and me asking them if they are gonna buy it or what? They leave. Yeah, I didn't see you hiding there behind that toilet paper roll bud carefully undoing the packing and box. Ya figger thats the least important thing. Its like they don't notice they are making a bunch of noise anyways.

Maybe we should have our manservants ambush us when we walk thru the door, just for practice, like Peter Sellers and Cato in the "Pink Panther" movies.

If only I could find some Level 3A jammies. You guys do wear armor all the time, right? Never know when you might need it.

Maybe you should do a little research on the things that have happened to the people in a house that was targeted for a home invasion. There's nothing even slightly humorous about a real home invasion.

I don't understand why people who don't want to prepare for catastrophe think that ridiculing those who do prepare is an effective technique. Are you trying to change my mind by making fun of me? Or are you just trying to distract yourself from the possible consequences of your lack of preparation by making jokes.

I don't understand why people who don't want to prepare for catastrophe think that ridiculing those who do prepare is an effective technique. Are you trying to change my mind by making fun of me? Or are you just trying to distract yourself from the possible consequences of your lack of preparation by making jokes.

By virtue of being here every one of us has prepared in some way or another. Where we differ is in how effective we think preparations will be against overwhelming odds, and how much time and effort (and money) we will spend on preparing for events that are statistically unlikely to happen.
The image of the couple war-gaming at night in their living room in full camo is too funny for words. And anyone who takes that seriously has been spending too much time on the high road.

Where we differ is in how effective we think preparations will be against overwhelming odds, and how much time and effort (and money) we will spend on preparing for events that are statistically unlikely to happen.
I don't prepare because I think my preparations will be hugely effective--I prepare because I can't tolerate the possible consequences of not preparing. I don't plan to resist because I feel sure of winning but because I can't afford to give up without trying.

The second part of your statement is not really debatable--everybody decides what they are willing to prepare for and what they aren't. No problem there. And these events ARE very unlikely. However, carrying a firearm or even owning a self-defense firearm is also preparing for an unlikely event.

More to the point, not wanting to (or not being willing to) prepare doesn't give one carte blanche to ridicule those who do.
The image of the couple war-gaming at night in their living room in full camo is too funny for words. And anyone who takes that seriously has been spending too much time on the high road.
The issue isn't whether it's funny or not, the issue is whether it's meant to be funny, or meant as ridicule. Funny is great, ridicule isn't--which gets me back to my former post.

The second part of your statement is not really debatable--everybody decides what they are willing to prepare for and what they aren't. No problem there. And these events ARE very unlikely. However, carrying a firearm or even owning a self-defense firearm is also preparing for an unlikely event.

Carrying a spare tire is also preparing for an unlikely event. But we all do it. But not too many of us carry a spare carbuerator or fuel injector system. Where do you draw the line between preparing and over-doing it? I dont know. The answer wil vary for different people. But there is definitely a point where it goes beyong preparing and into farce. And most of us know it when we see it.

"Nobody will invade my home and brutalize my family without a fight. You may choose to pray to your deity. I choose to fight. We may both die as a result. In this case I trust my gun more than my prayers. The Lord helps those who help themselves."

AMEN!!!

As English author H.L. Menken said in reference to World War II:
"There are several things worse than war; they all come with losing."

IMHO, there are several things worse than death, and they all come with throwing yourself on the "mercy" of a coldblooded thug and his buddies who have targeted you and/or your family.

Kill the b@st@rds first, plain and simple.

How many of us check to find the fire exits in a hotel after we have checked into our room and are dead tired from the trip?

FWIW, I once had a '67 Chevy pickup, and I did carry a spare carburetor, among other parts, and a few tools. I was glad I did. Swapping out a carburetor is a heck of a lot easier than installing a carb kit, or walking ten or twenty miles. In my Land Rover (SIIA) I carry two spare axles, a long and a short one among other parts. A axle swap is a 5 minute job. A walk usually takes longer.

Where do you draw the line between preparing and over-doing it? I dont know. The answer wil vary for different people. But there is definitely a point where it goes beyong preparing and into farce. And most of us know it when we see it.
Everyone draws the line in a different place. That's fine. What I'm objecting to is the attitude of "my line is right and your line is farcical and worthy of ridicule."

Ironic that on these boards we read about home invasions and other crimes and often bemoan the occupants' lack of preparation but can still find it logical to ridicule those who actually make an effort to prepare. It has always been and will always be so.

XB,

I always try to check fire exit plans, but I'll admit to not being 100% in that regard. ;)

What bothers me is that people seldom bother to realistically assess the level of threat they face and more importantly view the gun as some kind of talisman that bestows protection. Having a gun in your hand doesnt make a person "safe", any more than possession of a stethoscope makes them a doctor.

A review of the Uniform Crime Reports will also review a couple things:

Violent crime is at its lowest point since the early 70s

Stranger-on-stranger violent crime involving middle age males is incredibly rare.

Preparation is fine, paranoia is not, especially when it leads to actions which are tactically unsound and borderline reckless. One poster goes to his car, gun in hand, at 5:30 AM. Listen to scanner traffic at that time of day, the silence is deafening, the only people out are cops and papermen. Another complains about long response times, indicating that he lives in the country. I though people moved to the country to get away from crime - rural violence among strangers is infinitesimal. Over the past 5 years there have been maybe 6 home invasions in the rural county in which I live, all of them were solved, and in most the offender knew the victim or lived nearby.

Again preparation is fine, but like anything else it can be overdone. I am armed 24/7, but my gun stays in its rig unless I at least have a potential target. I also get my booster shots when needed, but I'm not gonna live life in a bubble suit cause I might get a germ.

Germs arent going to kill me Sendec (yet). Neither is a broken carbuerator. Thats why I dont worry about those untill the need arises. Maybe you shouldnt look at it based on chance or on probabillity of something happening. But rather on the CONSEQUENCES of something IF it does happen, however unlikely it may be.

We choose to carry a gun for those unlikely situations that put our lives in peril. Not preperations for something that is merely a slight inconvienience.

Germs arent going to kill me Sendec (yet). Neither is a broken carbuerator. Thats why I dont worry about those untill the need arises. Maybe you shouldnt look at it based on chance or on probabillity of something happening. But rather on the CONSEQUENCES of something IF it does happen, however unlikely it may be

Unfortunately people dont do that.
Most of the people in the gun world are far more likely to die of heart attacks, cancer and strokes than bullets. Yet they persist in smoking, eating unhealthful diets and being overweight. What are the consequences of a stroke? Pretty devastating. What is the likelihood of one occuring? Pretty high. But people would rather pound their manly chests and spout off about how they're gonna go down shooting and how they carry 16 different guns in various orifices and enough ammo to stand off the Crips. It's bullsh**.

So because the probability of death from poor habits is higher we should neglect to even prepare for less likely causes of death?

I'm not sure exactly how the two are related...

And I've got to ask, who are you trying to convince, what are you trying to convince them of, and why?

Clearly you have some problems with what other people are calling reasonable levels of preparation. So, why not post what YOU think is reasonable as opposed to simply labelling other positions as farcical or comedic?

I'm assuming that your involvement in this thread is Not based solely on the desire to denigrate other's opinions or ridicule other's comments. You're not going to prove me wrong, are you? ;)

I don't think it's unreasonable to take precautions. Yes, the likelihood of a home invasion happening to any of us is slim. That being said, it is still wise to be careful, diligent, and to maintain situational awareness.

Do I worry about cancer because I smoke and drink? Not really. I've accepted the risks and in my mind the benefits of a fine cigar and stout beer outweigh those risks. Why? Because I like to relax, and that is how I do it. I have every right to risk my own life.

There is a significant difference between lung/throat cancer and a home invasion. You can prepare for both, but ultimately you have control over how many beers you consume and no control at all if you are targeted for a home invasion.

Will I defend myself if it comes to that? You can take it to the bank. Why? Because no man has the right to endanger my family or destroy what I’ve worked for.

I don't smoke, don't drink, and I've lost about 100 pounds since last November. I suppose that means I get to discuss the topic.

Don Gwinn, a 450 lb guy with a 3 pack a day habit consuming a fifth of vodka daily can discuss the topic. It's a free country. But anything about preparing has a lot more validity coming from someone with his priorities right.

Back