Home Defense: Rifle vs Shotgun vs Handgun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. I keep a rifle near the back door. If I have to go outside, a rifle is much more useful. I live on a farm and something always needs shooting. I also keep a shotgun upstairs. A staircase defended with a shotgun is nearly impossible to assault successfully without losing a few people. I also keep handguns in several places for times that I'm sure that sound was nothing but I have to go check anyway.

I use a pistol.

Maybe I'm the only person here who doesn't wander the
insides of their home with a loaded rifle constantly at hand.

Last edited:
TXAZ, I think kydex is probably the way to go. Leather, even horsehide, would soon be just a little damp with sweat under the weight of this beauty I'm afraid.

A handgun is the most maneuverable, but most difficult to hit with. Lowest stopping power too. However, it's easy to have one on your person at all times.

The spread of the shotgun is irrelevant inside a house. The rule of thumb is that buckshot spreads about an inch per yard of travel, although this can vary a lot depending on shotgun, choke, and load. Regardless, it's not going to spread much more than a hand's-breadth inside a house.

The main benefits of a shotgun are high stopping power and low price. This is at the expense of low capacity and difficulty in obtaining proficiency. High recoil can make it hard to learn, although reduced recoil loads are available. A pump shotgun also allows the possibility of short stroking under duress.

Carbines potentially offer size, weight, capacity, precision, recoil, and arguably reliability advantages over a shotgun.

Pistol caliber carbines would seem to be a very reasonable option, except there aren't many of them and they tend to be fairly unpopular.

Home burglaries also happen when we're not at home, so make sure your rifle/shotgun is secured so it's not used against you when you return home. Handgun for me.

Wyosmith has it exactly right.

A rifle is easiest to hit with, hits with the most authority, and with just a little attention to ammo selection, less of a liability from a miss or over-penetration. (A common misconception that I see at least one poster in this thread believes. Reduced penetration in building materials from AR-15- power carbines, when compared to pistol-caliber subguns, is just one of several reasons most LE special response teams have gone to AR-15s or similar platforms.)

Additionally, modern intermediate power carbines are much easier to train up with than shotguns or handguns, and much easier to fire quick follow-up shots with acceptable accuracy.

Now, if a TFL member does most of their shooting with a shotgun, then a shotgun is probably the best HD choice for them, just because of training. If a shooter only has a shotgun, it can work fine, despite not being optimal.

Ultimately, the biggest difference is not between a carbine or rifle and some other gun. The big difference is between having a firearm and not having one. Train with what you have, make good plans (calls, contact info, fire extinguishers, insurance, lighting, transportation, water, food), and be happy.

If you have the time and free funds to get a good modern carbine, AR-15 carbines are at an all-time low price when adjusted for inflation. Paying your utility bill is probably more important, but now is a good time to buy one, if you can.

John Shirley

Last edited:
As an example, here is a PSA 16" AR-15 upper and a lower kit, delivered to your door for $350. The buyer just needs a stripped lower receiver and about an hour assembly time to have their own modern carbine, for maybe $500 investment.

Adjusted for inflation, that would only be $304 in 1994 money.

Last edited:
I'll ask the OP again (and this is a big hint):

I'll ask the OP, what is your shooting experience with the three platforms and which do you think you handle the best?

Buying guns without having experience with them in the proposed use or training with them is just hot air and a silly practice. Yeah, let's discuss stopping power some more.

The utility of each platform is well known as are their handicaps in the home scenario.

Considering​ some of the replies, it's clear that not everyone understands the limitations of each.

The modern carbine is the easiest of the three to train to an acceptable level of proficiency.

Well, known to some.

I've dragged my old body through handgun, shotgun and carbine classes. I've shot them in matches. So I've (I hope) a reasoned opinion on what is my go to.

That is my handgun. The long arms are for hunkering down in the safe room.

I've had friends tell me that they will use their handgun to fight to their shotgun. I said that this predisposes that they will miss their opponents as they spray and pray. Their opponents will miss them as they scuttle around the house (at a rather elderly speed).

Oh, well. BTW, I'm not looking for bad guys unless it is truly necessary to get to a family member. I recall in class where we were in a bed room and heard a break in. What to do? The preferred solution was to hunker down, warn the bad guys we were armed and call the law.

Now, some newbies said: This is my house, I'm not letting them steal my collection of Elvis Plates and Beanie Babies. Blah, Blah.

So they left the bedroom and all were killed or knocked on their rear ends. Oops. They were armed with a shotgun (not real ammo, obviously).

So, to the OP - how are you in dealing with malfunctions and reloads on all three platforms? Shotgun jams are fun under stress.

+1.

From the sounds of it, some people have a huge amount of room in their house and for those long shot's maybe a 30-378 with a 6-24x Leupold? Carbines will not handle like a handgun! Shotguns and rifle's won't either. You do not need a gun that will put all it's shot's into a tiny group but rather if you can hit a watermelon at 7yds, your good to go. If I was to use a shotgun, I'd use a pump 20ga. I'd have the barrel cut to as short as I legally could and the stock cut off and the pistol grip. This like any gun you might use in your own home is point ad shoot. But even cut to small portion's, it's still not as handy as a handgun. But it is also faster than a reg shotgun or a rifle. And unless your living room is the size of a football field, super accutate ain't gonna cut it, point and shoot!

One last thing, if you do have a weapon around for defense in your home, learn to use it very well. And, don't make the mistake of feeling invinsible just because you have a guy, you are not.

For what it is worth, I did not serve in the military or in law enforcement. I am not a competition shooter, but I practice fairly regularly. This is only what I would do due to my circumstances.

For practicality, it has to be the handgun first for me. I have a quick access safe next to the bed. I have 2 kids so I would have to get to them and a rifle or shotgun would be difficult to use one handed. Once I got them to the "safe room", I would lock the door and grab the shotgun. I would then cover the door with the shotgun. While I certainly won't argue the effectiveness of a shotgun or rifle compared to a handgun, I don't feel it is practical to try and secure my long guns where I have quick enough access to them and still keep them secured away from my kids.

I can't help but think the people who recommend a rifle (.270?) have a bigger house than I have.

In a 12 x 14 room if I am standing 2 feet from a wall (minimum because nobody wants to be limited in movement) and have a 36" long gun, that means the intruder has 7' - 9' to be moving around in, 5'-7' if they are also off the wall. That would put the barrel of my gun closer to their ability to grab/deflect than I would like, especially if there is more than one to cover. I might consider a shorter, rifle such as a small lever, but really think a pistol would be a better option in my home.

Those discussing the benefits on a 25 - 50 yd distance must have Really big homes.

The militaries of those "other countries" are also not arming their troops to secure homes. They are armed to secure areas. When they do have to work in tight quarters they work in teams and cover each other based on training with the bet all-around weapons they have.

But that's my opinion.

This from an ex-mil SF guy that I know...

That wasn't always the case, and some agencies, departments, teams, units, whatever else run a better program than others, but it's 2017. We've been shooting bad dudes in their living rooms every day for 16 straight years. Somewhere along the line we polished what we knew and "it'll happen" is no longer an acceptable answer.

What is interesting to me, is that everyone of these types that I ask/discuss this topic with who have been in these CQB, house clearing operations want the Rifle/Carbine over the SG or pistol. The experience and lessons learned they have passed on to me has changed the way I do several things.

The average person can not have experienced everything so taking the relevant parts from those who have different experiences in order to construct a better overall picture is beneficial.

That would put the barrel of my gun closer to their ability to grab/deflect than I would like, especially if there is more than one to cover. I might consider a shorter, rifle such as a small lever, but really think a pistol would be a better option in my home.

I think you might find that difference isn't as big as you think. This link shows Clint Smith comparing a 1911 to an 18" shotgun:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_APnhoIYeD0

Another good rifle vs. pistol comparison:
http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/rifle-vs-pistol-faster/

Of course, the important part is training and familiarity with what you choose to use. I've watched a man with a break-action single shot Greener converted to 12ga clean a plate rack faster than guys with tricked-out 12ga semi-autos because he knew how to run his weapon (they started out unloaded ;))

Last edited:
Thank you for the link Mr Roberts. I had not seen this type of comparison before and it does make some sense, although my only shotgun has a longer barrel. Maybe it would be worth me investigating a defense type shot gun or a shorter barrel for mine.

I see that the OP still hasn't come back to discuss the issue or discuss his experience with the guns in question and how that interacts with the posts in this thread.

Better do that OP, or this is shutting down.

I have nearly 40 years of military/LE experience and training, I also shoot competitively. I have been trained extensively to fight with AR's, shotguns and pistols.

I live in a rural area on a major highway and have horses. My bump in the night can be anything from a meth tweeker pulling off the highway to a wolf after the horses.

My primary HD guns are my EDC Glock 31C and an AR pistol in 300 BLK loaded with 110 grn V max's. I run the AR pistol similar to a carbine using a cheek weld. Doing clearing drills I found I can navigate very well.

Attachments

• 300.jpg
    300.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 28
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back