Home Defense: Rifle vs Shotgun vs Handgun

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are lots of good responses above. Generally speaking, a handgun is what you use to fight your way to a rifle or shotgun.

While the pistol is clearly inferior to a long gun in the vast majority of situations, it still has its place in your home defense plan.

When speed is important, I can ready a handgun very quickly. If I have more time, I'm definitely going for a shotgun or rifle.

handguns are for situations that you have to fire a shot in 10 seconds or less from the threat becoming recognized.

It seems to me that is the situation for most home and personal defensive situations. My home is modest enough in size that every threat is pretty immediate. I at least want the option of shooting within a few seconds, even if I opt to hold fire after arming myself.

I thus choose a handgun for HD purposes. It will almost always be my primary carry gun, which is either on me or in the drawer of my bedside table.

Wyosmith:

I have over the years enjoyed your post, and agreed with most of them..

Yes no army issues pistols to infantry soldiers as primary weapons. But we are talking apples and oranges here.

I was a grunt (Infantry) in SE Asia, I agree as a personal weapon nothing beats a rifle. There we're times where a handgun came in handy. We had to be armed everywhere we went. It's a heck of a lot easier to drag a M1911a1 through a chow line then it was a M-60.

I also made a career in LE. I had a shotgun in the car, and a rifle (bolt gun, counter sniper duties).

In them days, before we got dogs, we did our own building searches and clearing, often alone. It didn't take me long at all to learn that the shotgun was in the way. Anything in range of my shotgun, was in range of my service revolver. You always have something in the other hand, flashlight, mirror, door knob.............something. Long guns were in the way.

I'm old now, too old for the infantry and LE. I do believe in being armed always but I just cant see me setting on my couch watching TV or reading with a rifle or shotgun in my lap. But I always have my revolver in my pocket. I'm not a rich man, I don't have a huge house, the longest unobstructed distance in my house if about 25 ft.

The day I need a rifle or shotgun to shoot 25 ft, is the day I give up shooting altogether.

It takes me about 1/2 sec to draw and shoot my revolver because if I hear a "bump in the night" my hand goes in my pocket.

Pushing 70, it takes me longer then that to get off my butt, much longer to hunt up a long gun.

To each his own, as much as I like rifle shooting, I'll stick to my revolver for self defense. I'll not be slugging through the jungles or mountains any more. I'll leave my rifles to hunting and target shooting. Same with the shotguns.

As stated from post #1 of this thread, there are numerous factors in this decision. It should go without saying that you need to know how to use any firearm but some are arguably more appropriate than others.

Due to the maneuverability factor, a pump shotgun is no longer my first choice. A very short AR (or similar) has it beat in capacity, range, precision and probably even practical reliability as well. An AR this short is technically a "pistol" or more realistically an SBR. Downside? Usually more expensive.

My second choice would be a simple to operate high capacity pistol. I believe retention would be somewhat better with a short barreled pistol (over rifle) when properly handled. Rifle or pistol need proven expanding ammo which take into account the particulars of the setting.

Shotgun wins on purchase price mostly, and intrinsically limited range IF that is a plus. Oh, and that mythical "sound which makes an intruder's bowels turn to water".

a handgun is far more wieldy, less likely to be taken from me and easier to manage with one hand. I have a shotgun as a secondary weapon but a rife would be very last in my book for defending the interior of my home.

"...rifles are better at 99.9% of all fighting..." Yep. Except that the guy in his underwear (or not), in the middle of the night, investigating a 'bump', isn't military and isn't going into combat.
The answer is use what you can shoot best. And what will not send its projectile through walls and for miles. That is a shotgun with No. 2 or so bird shot or BB's. The shotgun(doesn't have to be a pump gun) is way more intimidating than any rifle or hand gun.
"...the red line..." That can be measured in your home. Longest distance needed.

MosinNOUGHT said:
This has been a dilemma for quite some time and I just wanted another point of view on this. Supposedly, handguns are more maneuverable, shotguns spread and are easier to hit with, but rifles seem to hit harder and are accurate. What are you're preferences?

I think, in practical terms, that my preference for home defense is a handgun. For me, anyway, it is the quickest to reach and put into action. A handgun is easier to maneuver around with, less likely to be grabbed from you by the bad guy and can be handled/fired one handed fairly easily.

The answer is use what you can shoot best. And what will not send its projectile through walls and for miles.

To me it comes down to using what you will have on you. Most of us readily grab a pistol when going to check a noise. Taking a shotgun or rifle... probably not so much.

Sure if I KNOW a threat with a rifle or shotgun is going to be waiting I want a rifle or shotgun. But if I know this I should really not be investigating. More likely its a raccoon or possum passing by (at least at my house).

If it's a home defence situation and you don't shoot but have the drop on the crook, there is nothing more intimidating than looking down the barrel of a 12 gauge. It seems to get their attention better and they tend to obey better.

It all depends on where you live and who else is in the home.
You should put together several plans on who goes where and who does what. If you have young ones in the home it is best to get to them rather than trying to move them when they are half asleep. Someone needs to call in to emergency dispatch on a home invasion. Everyone who can be, should be armed and in a safe place with a door. Use your intercom to tell the intruder what you want them to know if you don't have an intercom then stay quiet - don't give up your position by yelling. If they enter the room you can be certain they are not there to bring gifts, yell for them to drop everything and not to move. If they move in a threatening manner shoot them. Let the emergency folks know that one bad guy is down and being held at gun point. Make sure the emergency folks identify any officers as they show up. Follow the advice of the cops but tell them you are willing to cooperate but you are too upset right now and you will be at the station in the morning with your lawyer to answer questions and file a report. Call your lawyer and let him know that you need his guidance.

If it's a home defence situation and you don't shoot but have the drop on the crook, there is nothing more intimidating than looking down the barrel of a 12 gauge. It seems to get their attention better and they tend to obey better

First hand experience, citation, or hypothetical?

Then, I'll ask you, Mark:

From his post:
There are currently about 218 Nations States within the UN. ALL of them have armies.
Guess how many of them issue handguns as standard issue arms to their infantry.

And my original response:

And that has what to do with HD?

Well Krag I would agree with you almost 100%........almost.
(I find in reading your posts that I nearly always do)
What counter points I would make in this subject are these:

As you say a handgun is far faster to get that 1st shot off with. I agree.

And as you say, if you are playing cops and robbers, and you are clearing a room the handgun is far easier to use. I agree!

But in the situation that you are standing your ground inside your own home, the phone and "9-11" is going to put the bad guy in the defensive position as soon as the cops show up, and in such situations I see little reason to clear the room. Let the cops do that.

I favor the ambush (as I am 100% sure you would too, knowing your military background) If you control the battle ground would you want to walk point if you could ambush?

Unless we sleep wearing the handgun we still have to pic it up.

So picking up a rifle or shot gun is going to take about the same amount of time as picking up a handgun. And there is no reason you can't do both, first the handgun, and if you need to fire before you pick up your shotgun or rifle, you can.

But even at 10 feet, if I could choose to shoot an enemy with a 45ACP or 357 mag, or my 270, I will use my 270. I have shot deer a few times jumping up within 10-15 feet and hit them every time. I have yet to miss one. I am sure I can do it with a man too.

In my case it would be an AK or an FAL not the 270.

Now I don't live in town and my closest neighbor is over 600 yards from me, and my next closest neighbor is over 1.5 miles from me so I have to say my situation is not common. I understand that and I am considering it.
I would not recommend someone go out and buy a full power 308 Military rifle for a "home-gun." There are probably better options.

But I would tell them I would choose a 308 auto over any handgun, even if they lived in town if those 2 guns were the only 2 to choose from.

With the correct ammo, the 308 is going to be a better option then a handgun (I believe) because the chances of a hit on target are far better with the rifle then a handgun so the number of rounds fired is likely to be far less. First from the aspect of practical accuracy, and next from the aspect of the severity of the wound inflicted.
With light HP bullet the penetration factor of "collateral damage" is not much different than many handgun rounds either. Especially if the rifle round hit the enemy which is about 10 times more likely then if he's shot at with a handgun. An expert handgunner will do much better, but I have not seen one yet that is better at it then he is with a rifle.

I have done drills with students many times to show this point. I'd bet you have too.

Place a small tire with a cardboard inside and hang it between 2 trees on a rope and let students fire at it with a rifle and any handgun they choose from a distance of 10 feet, 10 round per student. Swing the target hard and as fast as you can. Faster than a man can run. Let them fire from different angles too.

I am 100% sure you will see the same results I have seen.

This is a drill I have set up and used for about 30 years, and at no time in those 30 years has a group of students done as well with handguns let alone better. No group of civilians, no group of cops and no group of military personal, including USMC Force Recon and US Navy SEALS. One group of SEALS in 1985 came close to a tie, but even in that drill the rifles beat the handguns. And there is no question about the wounds produced by center rifle rifles in comparison to handguns. 357 mags, 41 mags and 44 mags are far better than most people think, but still as a class they don't beat rifle rounds. At best they can come close to matching them.

One member here asked what infantry issue of rifles has what to do with Home Deference. Not a bad question. I would answer "everything".

But a better question would be "what difference does it make if you are fighting from within a home you own or one you don't own"? The answer is "nothing". Combat is combat. A life and death fight is just that, and the battlefield is the battlefield. If a rifle can work against massed enemies in organized formations it is not less effective against single enemies who are not trained or organized.

The thing about Home Defense is that the one that lives in that home has advantages of knowledge. You can lock doors, call for help, set up an ambush and use concealment that the intruder doesn't know about. But the home owner has to have that mindset. The fighter is the weapon. The gun is the tool.

It's FAR less about the gun and far more about the tactics used, and how well they are used.

2or3 sniper teams armed with bolt actions against 100 enemy troops armed with full auto AKs seems like a very off-set fight, but if the snipers can set the place and choose the battlefield, and command the access and egress of the enemy, I could almost feel sorry for the 100.

The 100 will probably loose that fight. Because of the control of the engagement.

Fighting in your own home should be the same.

If you do that any gun is probably OK, just some may be easier to use and their rounds more effective.

Would you not agree?

They're easy to maneuver inside tight spaces, can tuck it up tight for retention, and it leaves a hand free if need be

Also, it's much easier to hide a pistol from the kids, and keep it handy where it needs to be when you need it to be there.

A handgun is vastly superior when you get 'jumped" and are in a situation at close range where you can't get to a rifle or shotgun. it's for the emergency that you can't see coming.

So like in a home invasion type situation?

How about the best of all worlds, introducing the TXAZ/Barrett Ultimate Home Defender:

Maximum rifle firepower, 12,000 ft lbs
Shorter than an AK-47
Able to shatter all eardrums and windows in a single shot

Barrett-Pistol_zpsa4yjgeel.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back