Hog Hunting with .45

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean these domestic hogs have tusks

Well, that is what I call a surprise. I thought they only had that kind down in Arkansas. Are you sure about that? Tusks huh, how big do they grow? The tusk's I mean. Are they relative to the size of the boar? So I should skirt the big ones and only pick on the little one's? Do they hang out together or are they solo type animals?:o

Thanks Capt I needed that. Now we know why I will be having a back up to take care of this naive California Son.
I am planning on wearing some snake guards hopefully they will help if they get to close.

The magazine is a high capacity, Glock 17L 9mm, all the more reason to carry it. At 20 yds I hope to be putting it in his ear.
Thanks for the advice.

Harley

Sorry I can't answer your questions Harley. I've never hunted boar myself, which is why I haven't chimed in before this. No knowledge to contribute. If memory serves though (this happened around '75), he was hunting European Wild Boar that have escaped and were getting established in TN and NC then. I could be WAY off base here, if so, someone please enlighten me. The only thing I remember for sure was that horrendous wound. Sort of left a lasting impression, ya know ;) .

Harley, I am glad you picked up the gauntlet. My opinion is .45. Whatever you shoot best. Good Luck. Can't wait for the results.

I'm in AR.
Tusks, yeah some do for sure. Our barefoot & pregnant wimmin' just use a broom when they into the wash on the line. Toss a bucket at 'em and hams, sausages and chops for supper. :D

Reading this thread with much interest. Always wanted to try this Hawg hunting, never have.

Folks tell me they use 250 - 255 hard cast .45 ACP ammo running 1000 + fps. The biggest trick is the stalk, tree climbing skills, and letting the back up fella with 45-70 do his thing if need. Oh...good tennis shoes seem to be popular...

Like I said some day I hope to try this type of hunting. Yeah most likely be toting a 1911, or something starting with a "4".

Kinda partial to 12 bore and slugs anyway...seems like a good starting pc of lead for me if and when I do get to go...

Good Luck and have fun!

Rich, this is such a great deal - Thank You Sir!

Use Enough Broom

Steve

The magazine is a high capacity, Glock 17L 9mm, all the more reason to carry it.
Speaking as someone who admittedly blew a stalk on some hogs that Rich and Ashley put me on while trying to get close enough to employ my Blackhawk .44 (on the far end of the herd, and spooked the near end), I would like to express my hope that your intent is not to use the "fill the air with lead" method. I doubt that you meant it that way, but only mean that quick followups are nice if the beast should charge. For, while I don't personally believe that nine milimeters are appropriate hog medicine, I know that any hog might succumb to a hail of gunfire from a high-cap magazine, just as African poachers take down rhino and elephant with AK's.

I agree with Art Eatman that there are hogs, and then again, there are Hogs. And while a 200+ lb hog may be a little bit too much mustard for a .45 acp to handle, a nice tender shoat of 50 to 80 lbs may be just the thing for it. But, as Rich and I have noted over discussions past, the problem sometimes is identifying size. I once pulled a stunt with an underbore caliber on a good-sized hog, because I thought that it was a much smaller beast than what I managed to kill. I thought that I was tagging a smallish 100lb swine, but when my buddy and I dragged it back, we found that I had popped a 200 lb one. While the "behind the ear" trick worked on her, I wouldn't have necessarily bet on it if I had realized her size; I simply misjudged. As good as we may think that we are in judging distances, it's easy to be off. And when you (as I) think that you're making a 50 yard shot offhand at a hog that happens to be over 80 yards away, you're bound to blow the size estimation.
Best plan is to carry a gun that will handle the larger hogs as well as the smaller ones you may be hunting. (Though I'm looking for the biggest ones I can find-- I haven't found any problem with the meat from the larger ones.)

The question is: if you carry a minor or intermediate pistol caliber, are you self-disciplined enough to pass up shots on monster beasts (even when you're out of their danger zone), and are you sure of your ability to judge which swine are of the appropriate size/weight/toughness for your questionable caliber? :confused:

Yes sir good adice Long Path.

As stated in another post on the same subject not to rush, get the best shot and go for it. This is where my bow hunting skill will help.

Extra bullets if he comes at me. If he takes off on a dead run in a northerly direction well if I feel I got a good shot into him, noise and puff of dust near area I aimed at, I sit back and give him a few minutes and then the big stalk is on. Blood trail and all that. Binocs help.
That is why I will have my short barreled 12 gauge with slugs,00, and #4s. I am ready gentlemen.

Or Johnny pulls out his smoke poll and dispatches this insulent piggy. Then we go again.

That is the difference with not enough gun and too much. Shot placement is the key.

Thanks for the heads up I appreciate it.
I will have a pitch fork (no Broom) if he gets to close, three gun bearers and my camera man will throw themselve's in front for distraction and I can shoot again <(*-)

We are in this together right???

Harley

Well, regrets for being stuck in Jawgia until the weekend of this great and glorious hunt! I'll have to go out the next week and do something about the excess number of quail running around my pasture. :) Console myself.

Art

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back