Henry rifles-any good or not ??

The receiver is an cast allow receiver

The receiver cover is an alloy. The actual receiver under it is steel.

They have some plastic parts

The Golden Boy has no plastic parts and as I understand it the standard model has none now. The older ones had a plastic barrel band and front sight.

I have a Henry Frontier (octagon bbl) in 22wmr and I like it a lot. Smooth action, good accuracy and looks the part of a traditional lever action rifle. All I've done is mount a scope ans sling on it. Works perfectly for my purposes. I'd think that a youngster interested in shooting would be thrilled with a henry.

my fatherinlaw has the golden boy in 22lr, really fun to shoot, the only con i have is that the front blade is narrow, tough to snap shoot with it, takes a second for good site alignment

i just wonder and did hear a comment regarding the brass receivers that the large bore after numerous rounds cause the metal to crack? Seems to me though Henry would make sure that wasn't going happen during prototyping. Other than that they are just toooooooo perty to shoot!

Within the past three weeks I've worked with their new 1860, a .22 Mag Frontier levergun, and a .22 Survival semi-auto.

Not a glitch in the bunch.
Denis

Henry Rifles are very well made and very modestly priced for what you are getting. I own quite a few rifles. I have followed rifles for some sixty years. Henry's come in very well quality wise and are very reliable. I own a Winchester 9422 lever action made in 1973. Beautiful rifle. Winchester may NEVER make another .22 lever action. Henry is doing a great job and I also think may should consider a .22 WMR. The magnum round has come a very long way.

In .22 rimfire, get the Golden Boy.
Much better than the low-end basic blued model.

I chose the basic blued model because it is a pound and a half lighter and nearly $200 cheaper. It was the only lever action rifle I could find for under $300 new. I will buy another when I give mine to my grandson when he becomes an Eagle Scout.

In .22 rimfire, get the Golden Boy.
Much better than the low-end basic blued model.

Not sure I would say better, they just have different features, one isn't any higher quality than the other.

The Golden Boy has a brass lite receiver, which is basically the same material as the basic model just painted with a brass color instead of black. It also has a 2" longer and heavier octagon barrel if that's something you want.

The basic model is the same material receiver just painted black. It has a standard non-octagon barrel and is 2" shorter than the Golden Boy. The basic model also has a scope mount built into the top of the receiver unlike the Golden Boy.

You're referring to the receiver COVERS, not the actual receivers.

The base rifle has a grooved receiver cover for claw-type scope mounts.
The Golden Boy has a drilled & tapped receiver cover for that type of scope mount.

The Brass-Lite covers are not painted.
Denis

Last edited:
No, the rimfires are not brass (centerfires are), but those covers are NOT painted, never have been.
Denis

I truly believe that Henry's are some of the best lever actions you can get. They are super powerful (.357 or .44 mag versions), non offensive to the eye (not "evil" black rifle), are reliable and built like a brick outhouse. I learned on a Henry rifle in .357 that my Grandfather has. It is a brilliant gun. 10/10 would recommend.

Amazing how much dis-information is out there regarding Henry rifles. There are no plastic parts on any Henry, and for those who have earlier tiny caliber guns, Henry will send you free of charge metal bands and sights to replace those plastic parts. The tiny calibers use a heat treated steel for their receivers, and a brass alloy cover which is easily replaced if you have the need. The steel receivers and the brass receivers on the larger caliber rifles are all treated to exceed the pressures of their largest caliber offering, the 45-70; that means the receiver on say a 357 magnum would easily tolerate the pressure generated by a 45-70. Henry's are built tough, and IMHO, is the best lever action rifles you can buy that is 100% Made In the USA. Yes, the receivers are investment cast, and they make extensive use of MIM parts, which makes for precision fitting and uber tight tolerances. No amount of hand forging and fitting will give you the superior fit and finish found on a Henry. That said, Henry will take your gun back for an exchange or a refund if you are one of those sad few who are perpetually unhappy, no matter how much others may try to accommodate you.

I thought the 357 Magnum operated at a higher chamber pressure than the 45-70. 35,000 357, 28,000 45-70.

Back