Henry rifles-any good or not ??

I like mine but don't like the plastic bands around the fore-end and barrel and the front sight.

I didn't like them on my Henry either............but it took 9 years before I replaced them.......so I guess it didn't really bother me all that bad, and they must have functioned ok.

My Henry has had 15,000 or so rounds through it in the 9 years I have owned it. Only problem I have had was a broken firing pin a couple months ago. Figured if I was going to order a firing pin, I would see about replacing the plastic pieces with the metal ones that come on the .22 mag versions I had seen. Sent an email to Henry to see about how I could order the new firing pin, firing pin spring, metal barrel band, and metal front sight. Had my email answered the next day, saying all the parts were shipped, and would be to me in a couple days............and free of charge.

Its been a great little rifle, and inspired my father to buy two as well, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one (but I wish the price was what I paid when I first bought mine 9 years ago).

A friend bought one in 22 Magnum a few years ago with the octagon barrel. I'm not sure of the actual model. The gun was gorgeous. The problem started when he took it out of the box. It wouldn't cycle properly. You'd have to work the lever to eject a shell, and then work it again to load the next one. Instead of it ejecting the shell then loading another as you pushed the lever up. He took it back to the gun shop he got it from and they sent it into Henry. He got it back in a reasonable amount of time, but ended up having problems with the gun shop which was no fault of Henry's. After getting it back it functioned perfectly, but he noticed the front site was also mounted off center on it. He is pretty disappointed with his, and is one of the ones that would tell you so. That said, the rifle is absolutely beautiful, and it does function well now that they worked on it.

I've also go a couple of other friends with Henry's including one that bought the same .22 magnum at the same time, and theirs all have worked perfectly, so I tend to think the above friend just got a lemon. After all, every company puts out a bad one now and then. If I was in the market for that type of gun, I would buy one if they offered a gun with the features I wanted in the price range I wanted. Overall they seem to be pretty good guns.

i have an older golden boy in 22lr. I have shot thousands of rounds through this rifle and and it has the scars to prove it. the brass plated reciever is chipped and scratched from falling down in rock piles hunting rock chucks and the wood has a few dents from the same incidents. It still functions flawlessly, wonder if i could get a new receiver cover. I would say as a handy fun rifle they are great and mine has always shot as accurate as i have ever wanted. i think they would be great rifles to learn to shoot on. I have heard people talk about the plastic parts and this and that but i know that my golden boy is all metal and is one of the most reliable guns i have.

I bought the base .22 lever gun,,,

And was very happy with it's performance,,,
I ended up selling it fairly quickly,,,
But it wasn't due to the gun,,,
It was due to my style.

I found out a lever gun wasn't practical for me,,,
I was wasting too much ammo having fun jacking the action. :o

Then I turned around and bought another Henry,,,
I purchased the Accubolt in .22 LR,,,
That's my style of rifle.

It was pricey though,,,
I could have got a CZ for the same money,,,
It's an incredibly accurate single-shot shooter though,,,
As inherently accurate as any of the CZ's owned by my friends.

Not as pretty as their wood stocked rifles,,,
But they can't make a tighter group.

Just my thoughts.

Aarond

It's the favorite of my three .22 rifles. I used to use it for cowboy lever-action silhouette competition, and it was plenty accurate. I've hit 6-inch steel plates out to 150 yards with it - without a scope.

My other .22 rifles are a CZ-452 and a S&W M&P 15-22, and I would give up both of them before surrendering my Henry.

Love mine and would never sell it. I know two other owners who feel the same. I don't shoot mine often, but I have a ball every time I do. the H001T (Frontier octagon barrel) is a sweet little rifle.

I think the Henry's would be a good choice of rifle for your grandkids. We have three here at the house, two standard H001's and a Golden Boy that I've had for 10 years now. I shoot the GB the most, but all of them are smooth as butter and perform exactly as they should. Some of the Henry's come with exceptionally figured walnut for such inexpensive rifles.

Best of luck in whatever you choose!

I, well my fiancé, has a henry in .22 L/LR/S. It is, i promise you around the 12,000 round mark. The action is still super smooth and despite a 10 foot drop it has kept its sights right where they were supposed to be. Its takes atleast a dozen squirrel and coon, great guns I believe. You wont be dissapointed

Picked up a new Henry Golden Boy .17HMR on closeout. Found out after shooting it the first time that the filler tube was not attached solidly to the bottom of the octagon barrel. Called Henry, they said send it back. Had it returned in just over a week in great shape.

It is an very accurate little gun. It also has an extremely smooth action. Nice to know an American company is producing some decent, affordable guns in this country.

I've got a Big Boy in .44mag. Great gun, with much better fit, feel and balance than my Marlin1894.

I really wish they would make it in .45-70. Now that would be a hoot to shoot.
With the feral hog population moving north into PA and NY and the black bear population growing even in places like NJ, there's going to be an opportunity for a big bore, non-magnum rifle like the .45-70. Right now Marlin owns the category but with their quality problems of late, Henry would be smart to jump in there.

After many Henry rifle purchases, I've had a good experience. From the plain base 22 to the higher cost octagon barrels and better sights, to the Golden Boy 22 Mag and the Big Boy 357 Mag and most recent- the 30-30.
I have to say "yes" if you ask if they are any good or not.

Not what they use to be.

Bought a Golden Boy in 22lr. Forend was loose, rear sight was crooked. would not feed 22 shorts. Sent it to Henry and it came back with the same problems plus the hammer was messed up. It was tearing up the last 22 short in the tube making the gun unsafe.
The second time I sent it in they told me the rifle was fine, and they fixed the problems the first time. I don't know much, but I know guns. I told them if they liked it so much, they can keep it. Still waiting for them to send me my money.
My gun shop, one of the largest in Charlotte tells me Henry has been plagued with issues since Super Storm Sandy, and they have been rushing guns out. They had sent many Henry's back because of quality control issues. Be warned.....

i'm a little weary of the quality, despite the numerous positives i've read about their guns. I'd like to buy my son the H001 Henry .22 and gift it to him when he's old enough (he's only 9 mo now), but i'd hate to buy one, chuck it in the safe and then discover it's a lemon 10 yrs from now. Either way, I think it would make a great starter .22. when I die I'll then pass my Winchester 9422 onto him :D

The Henry 22's are decent budget priced shooters. I compare them to a Ruger 10-22, in a lever action. The receiver is an cast allow receiver with a black coating. Just like the 10-22. They are reliable and accurate enough. They have some plastic parts and a lot of shortcuts, but should last a lifetime, just like a typical 10-22.

They are NOT a heirloom rifle that you will want to pass down for generations. If that is what someone wants they should spend a little more and buy the Marlin or Winchester. If you want a rifle to shoot and enjoy they are fine.

I've never owned or shot one of the centerfires, nor would I want to. I've handled a few. They seem to be better built, but have completely missed everything a lever action is supposed to be. I hear they shoot well, but are heavy, chunky and poorly balanced.

Back