Have you personally fired a gun in a car or room without ear protection?

Did about half of my trap and skeet shooting without any protection and lost about half of my hearing, most of the damage done to the high end and voice range.

As for indoors, I have shot bb and pellet guns as well as a .22 with Aguila Super Colibris (phutt). Did it once with a .357 and OWOWOWOWOWOWOW! :(

I’ve done it once, a .22 pistol.

Been present for three others: 9mm pistol, 44 mag pistol, and 300 Win Mag rifle.

All were accidental, all were loud, but ears stopped ringing after a few minutes. Cant say if it did any noticeable permanent damage, I’ve been shooting since I was 2 (37 years now), and too much of it was without hearing protection, or was with too little hearing protection.

Comedian Bill Burr did a skit describing the first time he fired a revolver outdoors, no hearing protection; he said he saw a brilliant flash, but heard nothing except a loud hum, which didn't go away for a day.
He went on to say that if he had to use a gun for home protection at night, the first thing that would happen is that he'd lose all night vision, the second thing would be that he would be deaf - and that if he missed he couldn't see or hear the intruder. That's why he said his choice would be a .22...

Probably around 1982 or 1983, 14 or 15 years old I was bailing hay for a neighbor and we stopped for lunch. Riding back to the field in his Jeep pickup we spotted a woodchuck in the bean field so from around 200 yards he turned the truck on the gravel road, put the barrel of the 30-06 that was hanging in the back window out the vent window and spun that woodchuck into its afterlife. My ears are still ringing.

Without adequate hearing protection I don't recommend shooting in any enclosed space unless your life depends upon it.

My 357 in a semi-enclosed space is really painful. And I cranked off a round from my 223 while under a low ceiling carport. Both times caused pain and hearing loss for a time.

And when Springsteen did his Born in the USA tour, we were in the first couple of rows in the Summit in Houston. It was great and loud. I had a Buick company car back then, and it had a dashboard clock that ticked. After the concert I could not hear the tick for 4 or 5 days.

There must be a lot of young people here. I don't think I ever used hearing protection until I was in my twenties. Well, that's not totally true. I went shooting with a friend and his dad, and they gave me cotton balls to use while shooting a 30.06 and 6mm. The impression I had was that I needed protection because high-powered rifles were especially loud! I don't think cotton does much good.

I learned from ignorant people, so I was ignorant.

When I was a teenager, I shot my house with a .38 Special. I was in a hallway. I cut a piece of wallpaper from an inconspicuous place and glued it over the hole! No one ever found out.

Several times, a .22 lr. It's not unpleasant unless it's a handgun with stingers or other super velocity.

I've had tinnitus since I was twenty or so. It has remained the same tone since that time, I have checked it with a piano.

It was very interesting when I forgot my muffs and fired my .380 outside. I realized that I had no protection, but finished out the magazine. It was my defense rounds.

Every time that shot fired, the tone changed, and for a long time, I was hearing something new and exciting.

It was greatly akin to this clip from monsters inc.

https://youtu.be/h-u6y8jl43M?t=28

I used to shoot a .22 at signs from the driver's seat of my car while my cousin steered.

I believe the statute of limitations has passed.

Ambushed in my office , 4 shots fired at my head from about 6 feet away.
Only the first shot seemed loud . No bursting of ear drums , no felt ear pain . Years of hunting and age had already taken a little hearing , the shots fired took a little more from my right ear ...that ear was facing the gunman's muzzle .
But it really isn't a big deal . I've experienced a few other things that are a lot worse....
Kidney stones , bullet wounds , Staph infections , detached retinas and venomous snake bite ...those things are much worse than a gunshot in an enclosed place.
Gary

Once by accident. I was in a small indoor range and thought I had ear pro. I was the only person in the range, other than the RSO, so it was really quiet. I fired one round on my shortie AR. It was horrible. It kind of reminds me of that journalist who said he got PTSD from firing an AR. It makes me think they punked him by giving him an AR without hearing protection.

Yeah, shotgun, too. IMO, they are over-rated for home protection.
A pistol's more maneuverable, and you'll get your hearing back
quicker, too.

9mm Makarov accidental discharge when I was drunk and playing around with it. Shocked at how quiet it was. I even remember snapping my fingers next to my ears and the snaps didn’t seem dull or like my hearing was suffering one bit. Sounded at most like a small firecracker.

I had to er - 'dispatch' a neighbor's cat once.

It got into the fan and belts on my wife's Astro Van and it lost most of it's left hind foot, it's tail and had serious mutilation of it's ears.

It hid - yowling really loudly - under my low-boy fifth wheel trailer and I crawled under it to get a good bead on the cat --->and hopefully a single shot to kill it as quickly as possible.

As the trigger started moving, I had that brief thought that this was gonna be L O U D!

It was very loud. My head rang for days.

The neighbor was OK with it since there was no choice for the poor thing. It was a very pretty white, very fluffy cat. <sniff>

I shot a .22LR in my bedroom one night. It was late, I had been up for over 36 hours, and cleaned the gun, put the magazine in it, racked the slide and pulled the trigger. It was louder than I thought possible, but no worse than this guy yelling in the car everytime,and I mean every single time, I put my car in park. A lot of lungpower and that giant head made for a lot of noise..
129819151739306341.jpg

If you fire a short barrel .357 in a dark room , you'd better hit your target with the first round cuz your gonna be blind and deaf for awhile afterward.

Back