Have you personally fired a gun in a car or room without ear protection?

And especially remember what it was like when you see and hear the actors speaking in normal tones of voice with normal hearing immediately after the shooting stops.
After my experience, I was mostly deaf for several minutes--maybe 10-15 and then had very bad tinnitus for the rest of the night.

The officer I mentioned in my earlier post was standing around in the room where the shooting occurred talking with the other officers who had also been present in the room during the shooting. A new officer arrived on the scene and entered the room. The new officer's first question: "Why don't you guys turn off that smoke detector?!" There was a smoke detector which had gone off from the discharge smoke of the shots and was still blaring. Those present in the room when the shots went off were so impaired that they couldn't hear the alarm.

I'm betting this guy could tell you a thing or two about it; in the news feeds yesterday. At about 3-1/2 minutes in, this officer draws, while driving in pursuit, and engages through the windshield.

We could probably have a whole other thread about how reckless this was; only once or twice does he use a support hand.. and how many bystanders could he have hit?! Towards the end, you can clearly see a guy that was on the sidewalk who was in the line of fire, ducking, trying to hide. On the other hand.. the officer had already been equally engaged by the bad guy.. I'm on the fence really. IMO, he wasn't making a confident shot, and should have pitted him first.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/homicides/video-shows-violent-police-pursuit-near-downtown-las-vegas/

My hearing is not good to start with nor is / was the hearing of anyone involved as most of us have worked in shops of some kind or another for MANY years.

One day a group of friends and I were shooting from my office window. It gives us elevation, shelter, and in the rural area where I live is not big deal.

One of us, likely me though I don't recall, failed to get the barrel of a .357 magnum out the window. This is a smallish room (10X10 or so) and the doors were closed. It was LOUD and all of us noticed some ringing for several hours after. I would hate to think how much worse it would have been had the window not been open or the barrel not been pointed in that direction.

About the age of 9. I got a hold of my fathers 1953 Marlin336 sc model 30-30 and three cartridges.
Put my Fathers 7.10 X 15 snow tires up against a poured cement basement wall and covered those tires with old heavy living room carpet triple folded.

Took aim. About 20 ft away.
Shot once the bullet ricocheted off the cement wall and backwards about a foot or less from my belly and punched a hole in the water heater tank behind me a bit to my left.

Under duress questing; Coming up with a excuse was a bad avenue to proceed down. As I was expected to take responsibility for my {dumb foolish behaviour} Oops.

Back in those days parents didn't spare the rod so to spoil their child i.e. very often observed these days. Quite the opposite.
A dose of Physical punishment I received for my >disturbing behaviour.

Like many on here, growing up on the farm, not only did we not wear any ear protection around loud machinery, but not when firing weapons either, not shooting targets and not hunting. Looking back, obviously I wish I had, as I have hearing loss now. At least in the military when on the firing line we did wear ear plugs... but not during war games shooting blanks.

Never fired a weapon inside a building without protection, nor have I been inside a building and that happened that I can remember.

I remember the ringing in my ears for about a week afterwards. Now it's constant. Tinnitus and Also HF hearing loss. Old artillerymen are notorious for being deaf. DUH!
It is cumulative. The cochlear cells get their little filaments fractured IIRC and they don't grow back. Being hard of hearing can have it's advantages. You can ignore some people that need to be ignored but I would rather be able to hear Bambi or that pesky Rufous-sided Towhee rustling in the leaves than the constant high pitched whine... Growing old ain't for sissies!
What did you say?

Twice. 9mm in our bedroom and .30-6 in the attic. Not fun! What did I learn from those experiences? Clear all firearms after I finish hunting and target shooting.

I heard from another shooter at our outdoor range: That shooting a 357 mag round from a pistol in a room, will cause one's ears to bleed. That's why I load my bedroom gun (M-19 S&W Snubby) with 38 Specials; with backup amplified hearing protection readily available if need be.

Years ago, I fired a .38 special revolver out the window of a vehicle in the woods. It was freaking loud! I didn't do that again.

I heard from another shooter at our outdoor range: That shooting a 357 mag round from a pistol in a room, will cause one's ears to bleed.
My ears didn't bleed, but it was very, very loud. I was deaf for several minutes.

I’ve fired rifles out of a vehicle, but not with the muzzle inside.

The worst thing that I’ve ever done is fire a rifle across the bed of a pickup and the sound was directed at me it seems. Bounced off of the flat glass and bed I guessed.
I’ve fired inside of buildings but I only remember doing it with ppe on.

I fired my GP 100 6 inch barrel at a dead tree from about 10 feet. After pulling the trigger it went pop, hiss then pain for an instant then a background hiss for the rest of the day. I will never do that again. It is not the recommended way to treat your ears .

Last edited:
Left my ear protection on my head off my ears between reloads. Lined up and fired one round. .45 acp. Outdoors. Damn! Stunning loud. Lesson learned. I’m glad it wasn’t indoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back