Have you ever regretted trading or selling an old gun?

Yep, my first gun a few years back was a Ruger GP-100; beautiful .357 Mag, SS, 4" brl. Decided to sell it after accumulating 25+ guns. Now looking to replace it. Wish I never sold it.......should have listened to Cheapshooters advice :(

Let's see if I can get through this list without tearing up..

Mid 60's Colt Officer Model Match Target in 38
Mid 60's Colt Officer Model Match Target in 22LR
1930's S&W 38/44 Heavy Duty
Early 60's Wather PPK in 32 acp
WW2 GI issue Remington Rand 45 acp

All but the Walther were gifts from my father..Yeah, he hasn't forgiven me either. Never will

Of the few firearms that I have let go the only one that I did not regret was the No.4 Enfield I gave a friend as a gift.
I don't as a rule sell, barter, trade or otherwise relinquish ownership firearms once I own them though there have been a few so there have been few to regret.
Of the ones I did let go I regret most getting rid of an Auto Ordinance 1911 that an old family friend who was a very good old school gunsmith turned into a very reliable and accurate handgun.

Last edited:
At the time I traded or sold these guns, I had few regrets. A sizable portion of them were purchased simply to eventually sell or trade on something I wanted more. But years later, I regret selling many of the Colts, especially Diamondbacks and Pythons, and some of the Smiths, to make $25 here and there. Times change.

My objective was to eventually only be spending "profits" rather than new money. That didn't work out so well because I often wanted something more expensive and I was impatient. Many of these guns never even made it home and were re-sold the same day as I picked them up.

Back in the 1970's, I sold my S&W 39 to finance the purchase of an HK-41. I like the 41 but really miss the 39. I am looking for one still.

Drue

Yep, I had to sell a J. P. Sauer and Sohns drilling,,,

Mom and Dad gave me a German made drilling for my 14th Christmas,,,
They were antique dealers and practically stole it.

Double-barreled 20 gauge with a 9.3x57 rifle underneath,,,
It had a rear rifle sight that popped up when you cocked the rifle,,,
The trigger guard and the butt plate were made of some type of horn,,,
There was a small silver (plate?) trapdoor behind the pistol grip for 4 rifle rounds.

20 years later My wife and I both lost our jobs within a week of each other,,,
We toughed it out as long as we could but that drilling made several house payments.

Almost all of my firearms were sold that year,,,
The only two I managed to keep were my 8mm Lebel revolver,,,
And the 8mm K-98 rifle my Uncle Bantie brought back from WW-II.

Looking back on it now,,,
I should have sold the wife's horses.

Aarond

Hello 22-rimfire,,,

Have you ever wondered what happened or where that drilling is now?
Someone here may in fact own it now.

Naw, I never gave it a second thought,,,
I just sold it, walked away, and made the house payment.

Many years later when I told my pop I had sold it,,,
He just said the old "a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do" line.

If I ever got in that situation again,,,
I would keep my model 18 and my model 15,,,
As much as I like owning my collection of good firearms,,,
I would sell them in a heartbeat if it meant keeping a roof over my head.

Dang you,,, ;)
Now I'm wondering.

Aarond

I traded in (reproductions) 2 44 cal. 1851 brass framed sheriffs model Navy Colts with(fake) ivory grips, and holsters and belts, 2 44 cal. 1858 Remingtons with holsters and belt, and 2 36 cal. 1858 Remingtons (never fired), and some cash for my 1917 DWM P-08 Luger.
I wish I had just paid the cash, cause I sure miss those pistols!
Never again!

Back