Have you ever regretted trading or selling an old gun?

In reality, only one real regret,,,

A few years ago I accidentally won an auction on Gunbroker.

Accidentally meaning,,,
Out of boredom I placed a low bid on a 3" S&W model 36 LadySmith.

I won the auction for $325,,,
All told I only had $375 in the gun,,,
The gun was absolutely pristine and well worth the price.

mina.jpg

I shot it a few times and it was very nice,,,
I let a lady friend of mine shoot it and she fell in love,,,
So after a bit of begging on her part I sold her the gun for $425.

I has sellers remorse that very day,,,
I was so much more accurate with it than my 36 snubbie.

The only thing that made me feel good about the sale,,,
Is the fact that my friend loves the little gun and practices with it a lot.

I eventually replaced it with a shooter grade 3" square-butt model 36,,,

17098d1364935838-new-shoes-libby-130402-libbynewgrips.jpg

Not nearly as cosmetically nice as the LadySmith,,,
But it shoots well enough so I'm happy.

Aarond

regret

I sold a .41 ruger blackhawk 4 5/8" after having it for about 5 minutes for a fifty dollar profit. I thought I will keep the next one I find and have less money in it. It took me several years to find another one. I think they stoppped making them for awhile.

SA M1A

YES, the one I do really miss is my faithful companion of many years. I really did like it a lot, but let someone talk me out of it after years of great service. It was SPRINGFIELD ARMORY Cal .30 M1A SERIAL NUMBER 018143.
She was my favorite, had three stocks, extra mags, bayonet, the whole nine yards.... I really miss her. If her current owner ever see's this, and wants to get rid of her, I'd like to at least have the opportunity to try to get her back.

I'm late to the party. Since rifles area also being listed her, I'll include some of them:

1. pre-lock model 657, .41 mag

2. charter arms .44 spl bulldog and .22 LR pathfinder. These were early stratford manufacture, with unshrouded 3 inch barrels. The pathfinder had adjustable sights and was about the best "tackle box" gun ever made.

3. Sako .222 rem with douglas ultra-rifled barrel.

4. Remington nylon 66

5. Savage 99 with brass rotary magazine

6 winchester 101, 20 gauge, skeet and skeet

7. beretta 92. (A "92" and not a 92S. The 92 had a safety and could be carried cocked and locked.)

8. Ruger liberty 77 chambered for 7x57mm.

9. Browning T-bolt, original manufacture.

There are more, but I'm getting sick.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm a little different. There are a few I miss but no real regrets. It took me awhile to figure what type of firearm (manual of arms) that I like and I try to make a sound decision when selling a firearm.

I've some to the conclusion that Sigs and revolvers are what feels best to me and I'm the most comfortable shooting.

FWIW the only handguns I miss are the PT1911 (ran flawless) and my Five-seveN. I would like another 1911 one day (in 9mm) and if ammo ever comes back I may get another Five-seveN.

I don't miss the ones that didn't function properly, a Kel-tec P3AT, a Sig Mosquito.

I gave my SA 1911 to my father-in-law, then someone broke into his house and stole it (along with a few other things).

I do miss some of the others, and have learned my lesson -- figure out what you need first, research it, then buy it. Haven't regretted a purchase in a while following that method, and have had no reason to get rid of anything either.

there are a couple of Colt revolvers I miss, but only from a "have in my collection" standpoint. I guess the gun I miss the most was a S&W 3913 I sold many years ago. Great carry piece, fun to shoot. But the reason I miss it was the serial number - XXX1234. Always thought that was kinda cool.

yup

Traded a very nice pinned & recessed Smith M27 for a M29 that was not. Just had to have a .44 mag. And I ended up trading that particular M29 away. Both those Smiths were spooky accurate and I have not run up on anything their equal.

Regrets (from most regretted to lesser):

1. Taurus Model 66 6" stainless .357

2. Heritage Rough Rider Combo 6.5" .22LR/Mag (have since bought another)

3. Yugo M70 AK clone

No Regrets whatsoever:

- Taurus Model 94 4" .22LR

- Springfield XD9 Service

- Uberti Cattleman 4 3/4" in .45 Colt (love it, but my dad loves it even more, so it was definitely worth giving/selling it to him ... I'll get another one day).

I sold a full size S&W 1911 SC (the non-billboard model) that was SS and had some terrific cocobolo grips. I kick myself for selling it every time I remember it.

That said, I've sold probably another half dozen guns that I don't regret.

I turned loose of two 03 Springfields for about 3 times what I had in them and regret both very much now. One was a 1929 National Match and the other was ser. #6843.

During a period of penury, I had to sell the first Ballester-Molina I ever owned. It's the one and only handgun I've ever had to use in self-defense, and I should have sold a kidney instead of it.

My Taurus model 66 .357 6". It was my first gun, I traded it for what a Glock that I wanted and eventually sold. I can buy a Glock at any time but can't get my first handgun back.

Back