Have you ever regretted trading or selling an old gun?

I used to own a Smith and Wesson model 19 in 4" and a model 10 in 4" with heavy barrel. I traded them for more modern handguns and wish I never did. Nowadays, replacing these revolvers is just too expensive.

Now, I think twice before trading any of the guns in my collection. Have anyone in this forum been in this same dilemma?

I think it's safe to say that you're not alone. If I'm thinking about selling, I take it out of the safe for a couple weeks and secure it elsewhere. When I can't stand it anymore and realize the hole it leaves, I put it back and never think of selling again.

Much of the time...

Colt Detective Special
S&W Model 10
Colt Trooper
Couple Enfields
My first 10/22

Don't miss:

Star PD
Beretta Minx (replaced with .25 Jetfire)
Beretta Model 84 .380

While not the only perpetrators of this crime I find many young folk that are always in search of the latest and greatest wiz bang gun. I know I was guilty of this. As I got older I started to understand the true intracisies of guns and not be so worried about all the current BS. I can't count the number of post where shooters talk about getting back into and enjoying revolvers after years of being away. Guns are more than tools to scare away the boogie man.

sold my stainless Ruger Super Blackhawk 44mag...and i kick myself in the pants every time i think about it.....ouch....ouch....ouch

Smith and Wesson 629 3" round butt. I had no need so I sold it to a buddy but every time he brings it to the range I wish I had it back.

My 1990 Ruger 10/22. I enjoyed shooting it when I did but it sat for awhile and I was young and scrounging up money so I sold it. I likely won't get rid of another unless it turns out to be a lemon.

my biggest regret ever, is trading a "prewar" Marlin 30-30 for a 19 channel CB radio... :o I'm embarrassed just admitting I did that as a newbie...

Many times, many, many times...unfortunately sometimes when you have bills, you have to bite the bullet so to speak. Hopefully some day I can afford those guns I've sold again.

Laura

Seemed like the best thing to do at the time, all were new when I got 'em...1970s Remington 16 ga. Wingmaster, Remington 552 Speedmaster, Remington Special Purpose 12 ga. (not so much), 1982 Ruger Red Label 20 ga., 1976 Marlin 336, 1990s Smith & Wesson 63, and late model Ruger Bearcat.

Mid to early '90s, I had Browning BDA 380 I would carry. It has been a while so I don't remember why now I did get rid of it. At least I remedied it by getting another one recently.

Another one would be a S&W Mod 19 my grandfather bought me when I first got into law enforcement. I eventually traded it for another duty weapon, but that weapon just couldn't take the place of the keepsake value of the 19.

Pre-lock S&W model 60 in .357 with a 3" barrel. Could still get another 3" pretty easily but not many pre-locks were made in that configuration.

Back