Have I ruined my Mosin-Nagant?

Just a thought - I would be tempted to try using something like a screw extractor to thread into the "glob" and try to pull some or all of it out, rather than pushing it out. You might have to get a little creative in making such a thing. One thought is to get some steel (or brass) bar stock, sharpen the end and use a die to cut some threads into the end, or get a long extension to mount a small screw extractor - something like that.

Cotton can be dissolved with bleach.
I a very short time (couple of hours) 100% bleach will turn a cotton swab into rotted thread.

I'm currently letting the barrel rest after applying some kroil. I'll let this soak a few days and give it another go.

If this doesn't work, what do you folks think of removing the bullet from a cartridge, tying the rifle to a tire and remote firing it (just the primer and charge, no bullet) to push the obstruction free?

I've done some reading and found claims that barrel bulging or failure from firing a round with an obstructed barrel is caused by the bullet coming to an abrupt halt in the barrel and immediately transferring all it's energy to heat in one small area, causing the barrel to deform or fail.

With the bullet removed from the cartridge, the expanding gasses from the charge are all that's going down the barrel, and this is typically not sufficient to deform the barrel or cause it to fail.

Considering the material that's lodged in this rifle, I'm rather confident that this would dislodge the obstruction, or at the very least, disturb it enough to make hammering it through possible.

Opinions?

-Wintrymix

I have a lathe. I would get or turn a piece of brass to a diameter that slip fits in the bore, drill a 3/16" hole in it and cut it about an inch long- a drill bushing. Place the bushing on a long 3/16" drill bit, use duct tape to hold the bushing from crawling back up the shank of the drill bit. Drill a hole through the obstruction. Use a battery powered drill and drill slowly. The obstruction should then drive out easily.

An 18" bit should reach the obstruction.

http://drillbitwarehouse.com/index....&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=600001

500-600 degrees +/- is no problem for a propane torch, and that temp will not cause any damage to the barrel.

If it were my gun, I'd do as I suggested back in post #10 and put some heat to the barrel. With another body applying the heat to the barrel right at the location of the jag, punch away at it with the dowel. I would think that as soon as the plastic reaches the temperature where it will soften, it should give way. Don't stop, quickly push the mess outta the barrel before the plastic has a chance to cool and "reset".

I don't see how a gunsmith can do anything that an amateur can't...what type of specialized "tool" will get the obstruction out?

Last edited:
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T DO THAT! Even without the bullet you have a chance of doing some pretty good damage to the rifle and yourself. (OP's idea) Because if there is nowhere for those gases to go, depending on how hard all of that is lodged, it will try and find a way out...

meatgrinder42 is right, don't shoot it with the bullet removed. You have gas pressures to be concerned about.

I'd try the torch suggestion and try to burn it out. Tapping it again will only compact it more.

Please dont try to fire anything in that barrel. It could hurt you or even worse.

I think the cotton swab was cut to large. I think if the plastic jag was to large you would of not got it into the barrel. I would try what was said in post #62. I have never tried 100% bleach before on cotton but it is worth a try. I feel once the patch is out the rest will come out with little force.

Back