Have I ruined my Mosin-Nagant?

I like that one guy's idea of lacquer thinner in the barrel, just make sure you oil the crap out of it once you're done.

You may have damaged the rifling depending on how hard you went to town with the cleaning rod but it's unlikely.

Ok, here ya go. To remove this type of obstruction, go to your hobby store and get a hardwood dowel longer than your barrel. If you cant find one longer, then two will do because you are going to cut them up anyway.

Cut them up into approx 6" lengths. Make one of them about 9" in length. Drop the 6"ers down the bore untill you have a few inches protruding from the end. Make sure the rifle is held against a solid surface (butt against the concrete floor etc.) Rap the dowel smartly with a hammer and drive the obstruction down. Once you are close to the muzzle, remove the 9" dowel and add a 6" dowel the reinsert the 9". It will give you about 3" to strike on. Repeat these steps untill the obstruction has been removed. I use a piece of steel flatstock between the hammer and dowel to keep from mushrooming out the tip of the dowel.

This is the method I use to "slug" a barrel and it works quite well. If this method does not work, then you are difinately looking at a trip to the smith.

load it up and fire it! it will shoot the obstruction through :D

just kidding dont do that, you will get hurt.

I wouldnt worry too much about damaging it, I have seen all sorts of stuff get stuck in barrels with no damage. I even saw a guy get the recoil spring guide rod of his M249 stuck in the barrel! 4 hours of pounding later it came free, the barrel was fine. Any of the above methods will solve the problem, and hey, at lest you are learning this lesson with an inexpensive weapon.

welcome to the shooting world!

Just put a live round in the chamber and let 'er rip!

No don't do that.

a 5/16" dowel rod (brass, if you can afford it, hardwood if you can't) about 3 or 4" longer than the barrel. Slide it down to the obstruction from the muzzle end and hammer the obstruction out. A good deadblow hammer would probably be best for this, but a heavy plastic tipped hammer should work, as well. A regular carpenter's hammer or ball-pein will damage the end of your dowel much more quickly than one of the softer ones, but if that's all you have, go for it.
It's doubtful that the stuck patch/jag has damaged your bore.

Depending on your rifle, a 5/16 might be slightly too large to slip down the bore. Try it.. if you have to force it, go with a 1/4" dowel instead. You want to use the largest possible dowel, that will still slide down the bore without having to be forced.

This is how I got a broken jag and patch out of the barrel of my RPK once. I wasn't so thick headed to bang another jag into the mess but I bet a good hardwood dowel and a hammer will solve your problem.

"Some things are more important than a $90.00 gun". It is written: If you are faithful in little things...You will be faithful in large ones".
If someone who has posted that money is tight in his life, has so little disregard not to LEARN what the proper method of bore cleaning after using corosive ammo, to not have proper cleaning materials at hand (Older GI bore cleaner, proper cleaning rods and brass jags, and patches, BEFORE he ever fired that weapon, and then to leave it to stand for days with bore contaminated with corrosive salts..He would probably have the same attitude towards a $900.00 or a $9,000.00 gun.

pretty harsh, there, Tool... :rolleyes:

He came here for suggestions, not browbeating.

As far as I can tell, no one has ever stated that what he shot WAS corrosive ammo. Several have surmised that, but I haven't seen any confirmation from the OP. :confused:

This forum is a good place to learn. Sounds as if that's what he's trying to do.

To the OP,

You need to edit your location in your settings. There are several helpful members on this forum. If you have your location visible one may see they live in the same city or region. They may be able offer a helping hand.

Another idea is to do is to go talk to a local gunsmith. He maybe helpful and help remove it for no charge. There are several gunsmiths that are in it for the money, but their are some that are good hearted guys and that maybe willing to help you out.

hornetguy...Your right.. I have no right to judge or point fingers..I have done some pretty doozies myself. Now then..Lets take a look what could have been done different. When the patch started to clear bore, & entered chamber/leade..he must have felt presssure give somewhat..thats when he backed up rod. At the first sign of sticking he sould have STOPPED. Up-ended gun & soaked patch with solvent from breech. Let soak upside down for a while & PUSHED patch thru breech. What probably happened was that patch expanded when cleared bore & entered chamber..then by pulling..it created a wad of cloth around jag that no way was going to go back thru that bore!
In hindsite..cleaning should have been done from breech & out muzzle.
Last summer I followed directions and managed to get an expensive brand of bore-snake lodged in a Winchester-Lee .236 Straight-pull sporter..these guns arn't easy to remove bolt..so I figured the snake would save time..I was sweating bullets..and bent brass puller rod double before I got it out!
I did run plenty of solvent down bore to aid pulling. I don't know what I would have done if it had broke off in there...plastic covered steel cable & swivels..you would never drill it out. And this was an expensive and rare gun.
Last time I will ever use something like that. Hope everything works out alright with Wintrymix.
He might try brake cleaner..remove stock though..plug up breech with empty case & modeling clay..that stuff eats rubber gloves alive..I am sure it would disolve or at least soften plastic jag. If brass part is somehow jammed X wise in there..plug bore & pour in some Sweets..that stuff eats brass.

Where do you live? Maybe there is someone on here semi-local who has the tools and knowledge required to help you out so you don't have to wait weeks to buy a stinkin' brass dowel.

If you live near me I'd be happy to meet with you and fix your problem. Heck, I'd even buy a dowel for us to use. It'd only be a few bucks and I'd be happy to help a guy in need out.

Thanks for all the continued advice guys. I managed to pick up a metal dowel this evening and will be giving it a go in a bit. The ammo I shot was Brown Bear I bought at Gander Mountain. A little internet research seems to indicate that it isn't corrosive. I've dismantled the rifle so that I don't damage the stock while trying to pound the obstruction through.

I've most certainly learned a good lesson with this. I'll be far more careful about how I clean my firearms up in the future. I'll keep you guys posted with how it goes tonight ;-)

-Wintrymix

Yeah, when cleaning you dont ever want to try and reverse motion while in the barrel. If you start at the muzzle, push it all the way through to the breach. Likewise, if you start at the breach, and you should have, push it all the way through to the muzzle.

I just looked up the brown bear on Gander's Website.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=415027#details_box_holder

Berdan Priming=Corrosive. They don't specifically say whether it is or is not corrosive, which I think is kind of crappy on Gander's part because they obviously know that it is. Saying Berdan Priming is "People who don't know what that means will buy it anyway. Many more people understand what corrosive means than what Berdan Primed means so we will just say that."

..I have done some pretty doozies myself.

me, too... I could probably write a book. When pulling a bronze brush through the bore, don't EVER try to reverse directions part-way through. :eek:

......don't ask me how I know....:o

I have read in several different places that the "newer" (whatever that is) berdan primers are not corrosive.
However, I have no quotable sources that confirm that. I also have no way of knowing what "newer" means. What are the dates that denote "newer"? :confused:
It would probably be a wise thing to treat all berdan primed ammo as at least probably corrosive, just to be safe. Cleaning a gun after shooting corrosive is just not that much more difficult. The only big thing is, do it ASAP after shooting.

Thanks for all the continued advice guys. I managed to pick up a metal dowel this evening and will be giving it a go in a bit.
metal as in steel? :eek:

That's not a good idea. Brass yes, steel or aluminum no.

When doing the shotgun brush and electric drill Mosin Nagant chamber scrub procedure, you can only turn the drill one way...or else the brush comes out of the base. It's not a big issue just a minor in convenience

Well, so far this project is a no go. I managed to get a dead blow hammer as well as the dowel. I duct taped a penny to the top of the dowel and then inserted it in the rifle at the breech and began pounding toward the muzzle. My dead blow is only 28oz, but thats all I was able to get. The penny duct taped to the top of the dowel works well to protect the face of my hammer, and after a few blows, the rod sunk into an indentation and basically made it like a giant nail head to hit.

The problem is, I've been hammering the hell out of the thing for a solid half hour and I've measered my progress at 1/8". And after pounding another 5-10 minutes, I had not progressed any further than that. Now if I pull on my dowel, it doesn't want to come back out either.

In between "pounding sessions", I've had the barrel laying in front of a hair dryer on high to heat it up. I've got it lined up so the dryer is pointed at approx. where the obstruction is.

I'm so damn frustrated with this. I'm ready to just scrap the barrel and keep the rest of the rifle as spare parts for an eventual replacement Mosin-Nagant.

:-(

-Wintrymix

EDIT- Update. I managed to pull the dowel out of the rifle, it wasn't stuck badly, but still have not managed to budge the obstruction at all. I'm half tempted to try pounding it from the other direction. The obstruction is actually closer to the breech end.

Last edited:
Yet another updated..
I give up. The barrel will either have to be tackled by a gunsmith or be scrapped. I have hammered literally as hard as I can off and on for 2 hours and the obstruction hasn't budged at all. I am utterly amazed that a couple pieces of plastic, a cloth patch, and a little threaded brass nut could be lodged in there so firmly that I can't *budge* it hammering as hard as I can. Blows my mind.

-Wintrymix

Back