Has there EVER been a documented case..

Status
Not open for further replies.
"but is it possible to load the first one in the chamber with a spitzer and treat it as a single shot with backup ?"

Yes.

Countless magazine articles in Outdoor Life, American Rifleman, etc., have said to do just that if you must hunt with a spitzer bullet.

The best solution as far as I'm concerned?

Get a Savage Model 99.

It should be ok to have one spire point in the chamber, and one in the tube, but ONLY one in the tube, and don't loose count.

The rifle I referenced, being at a CAS (Cowboy Action Shooting) match, was a levergun. Whether .30-30 or not, the same principles apply.
Really, NG, if you're not going to believe then there's no point in further discussion with you.

You don't reload anyway, so why do you HAVE to have anything in writing?
The ammomakers do what they do because they understand the risks, based on past disasters, and they're not going to put out a 3000 FPS spitzer bullet in a .30-30 cartridge for you.

If you can't accept that, then get used to an unhappy life.
Denis

if its practically impossible to chain react an explosion why is everyone afraid to up the loads ?

Indulge me for a moment. What is it that you're trying to accomplish? I can't see where you're going with this...and you don't reload either so I'm baffled.

Maybe no "documented" cases can be found since at least most people learned over 100 years ago not to do it.

Stupid people though never learn from theirs or others mistakes...:rolleyes:

T.

I attempted to make my Winchester 94 classic a two shooter with 173 gr. match bullets. I intended to load one in the magazine tube and one in the chamber. At least on the Classic, Winchester was ahead of me. Winchester rounded the magazine spring pluner that forced the cartridge to line up crooked preventing the cartridge from entering the magazine tube. By the way, the spitzer bullets worked fine single loaded.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

Listen carefully.. all I would like to see is the 30/30 loaded to be the best it can be. If many of you believe that was accomplished 100 years ago fine.. That's your business and right to do so. It baffles me that whether or not I reload is even an issue. I'm asking a very legitimate question that well meaning people are giving directions for everyone to take like cough medicine. Open your mouth and swallow it. Never mind if it works. We've always used this. No discussion. Whether this has occurred and with what frequency should be a major concern to all lever owners. And judging from the responses and number of views this has generated people are interested. And they deserve the facts as well hearsay.

Since there are a lot of you that are very opinionated that the sky will fall if a different shaped projectile is used with powders different than you use well..ok. Be happy and maybe in another hundred years things will be exactly the way they are now. And you will continue to be happy. In that same hundred years the gun technology will be exactly the same as it is today... but I doubt it.

Isn't it strange that no one came up with any authoritative proof there was a single instance of this happening ? No lawsuits, no anti gun lobbyists shoving the evidence down the gun industry's throat. With countless millions of rounds fired thru this weapon its actually hard to believe it hasn't happened. More than once. And even harder to believe no one has found that out one instance that it has.

Well ng, If you want to blow your left hand off the go for it. Load spire point bullets and fill the tube to it's capacity. Disregard everybody on this thread who warned you not to, just make sure you don't take anybody with you. Go out in the field alone. Why did you post? What is your point?? You don't have one!

The reason your reloading (or lack thereof) is a factor is that it significantly changes the discussion parameters. Instead of the onus being on the rest of us to convince you not to try it, the onus is actually on you to convince factory manufacturers to change their .30-30 designs.

NG,
The only "strange" part here is your refusal to listen to what people are saying.

The bit about you not reloading is that if you don't, the question is academic as far as you're concerned.
If you're not going to load your own, you have no absolute compelling need to get "something authoritative" in writing.
The ammomakers know what they're doing, they're not about to produce a risky round with a potentially sue-able pointed bullet at higher-than-standard velocities in the range you want for the .30-30.

They may not be publishing century-old catastrophic incidents daily in places you can find, or calling you at home to explain personally, but there was, as people have mentioned, a sufficient history of those in the early days of tubular mags to teach them caution and responsibility.

The current .30-30 commercial loads are caution, what you're talking about would be irresponsibility at THEIR level.

Sooner or later somebody would stick the load you propose in great- grandpap's 1899 Model 94, blow up the mag or the action, and sue the bejabbers off the ammomaker foolish enough to release such a load on the commercial market.

Home reloaders can experiment all they want, they're more likely to be cautious and more likely to understand what's involved.

The absence of what you're looking for on ammo shelves should speak for itself.
Trust me: If there was a market (i.e. money to be made) for it and it had no overriding risks, you'd be seeing your 3000 FPS .30-30 spitzer loads at WalMarts from coast to coast.

Since there isn't & you don't, you should be able to figure this one out on your own.

Most people are capable of understanding and living with the inherent limitations of a given weapons design. The .30-30 is what it is, and Hornady has traditionally been willing to push the envelope, but even they will only go so far.
If you can't understand those limitations, to borrow a great line from the Princess Bride- get used to disappointment.

Or use another rifle with a different action & mag that CAN handle the ballistics you want to shoot.
Boltguns are nice for that, and if you have to have a .30-caliber levergun for hotter & longer-shooting rounds, you could even try the Browning BLR.

Otherwise, since you won't make your own ammo & the commercial makers won't produce what you want, some of us are just wondering why you HAVE to have written documentation on anything.

We've told you what & why, if you don't accept it do your own tracking.
Somebody at one of the ammo companies might be willing to take a few minutes to explain things to you, but you may be disappointed again if you expect them to write it all up for you.

You're probably not going to get much farther here than you already have, especially if you continue to argue about the answers you get.
Denis

I'm asking a very legitimate question that well meaning people are giving directions for everyone to take like cough medicine.

I don't believe that anyone is telling you not to try. Many of us have tried and for a variety of reasons, the experience was unsatisfactory. No one is telling you not to try it, we're simply cautioning against it.

Isn't it strange that no one came up with any authoritative proof there was a single instance of this happening ?
From my reading of just this single thread, we've got at least one incident of it happening with Buffalo Bore ammunition.

Since there are a lot of you that are very opinionated that the sky will fall if a different shaped projectile is used with powders different than you use well..ok.

Before we go any further, the standard disclaimer applies: CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. (or under currently published minimums) USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

Heck, I've done it. Try a 150 grain spitzer with 4 grains of Bullseye. It's a very quiet load, suitable for shooting possums off the back yard fence. Or, take a 32 caliber round ball, run it through a .308 sizer and use that same load. It's interesting the stuff you can do with the .30-30. For that matter, try that same 150 grain spitzer with a about 33 grains of Reloader 15.

It baffles me that whether or not I reload is even an issue.

You're not going to get to try any of the loads I talked about above unless you reload. I don't know of anyone who is currently making round-ball loads for the .30-30, nor making spitzer ammo for the .30-30. It's very easy to see why reloading is an issue. Without reloading, you don't get to do these things.

No one here is trying to give you a hard time, simply trying to pass on accumulated wisdom. We're not telling you this stuff to dampen your spirits, simply trying to let you know that we've been there, done that. Ballistic experimenting is a lot of fun and I bet we've already done what you're trying to do. Be careful, have fun, and keep good records.

When I was young and stupid my first lever rifle was a Marlin .35 Rem and I always bought the pointed bullets. I used it with those bullets and I'm still alive. I don't think it's a good thing to do though.

It does seem counter-intuitive doesn't it ? Yet you're here. Good to see you beat the odds ( whatever they are ? :) )

This is the 21st century. Internet, TV, instant access to info and the like.. Lawsuits would surely have been in the news.
What lawsuits? No one (except reloaders) have the chance to shoot pointed bullets in a tubular magazine rifle because the ammo-makers won't make pointed bullet ammo in calibers commonly associated with tubular magazine rifles.

If a reloader decided to ignore the cautions and created an incident, how would he be able to justify a lawsuit? Who would he sue?
Seems that MILLIONS of rounds have been fired thru 30/30's and many many rounds that guys experiment with that were hot and also not the flat nose rounds as well.
The huge majority of these rounds were not pointed, nor hard-cast flat nose rounds because the 30-30 has never been loaded with such rounds from the factories.

It also isn't hard to understand why the few "experimenters" who have ignored the very common cautions against such practices and damaged a rifle and possibly themselves would have very little interest in heavily documenting the debacle they created by acting against good advice.
...all I would like to see is the 30/30 loaded to be the best it can be.
We all would--but most people would add the caveat--within the bounds of safety.

If you want pointed ammunition, Hornady LeverEvolution has a good reputation. It provides not only pointed bullets but also hotter loadings using the Hornady Light Magnum technology. There's a good argument to be made that it is the best the 30-30 can be within the bounds of safety.

If you want different pointed bullets than Hornady provides and if you can handload and have a tube-mag rifle that can tolerate higher pressures, then you can always load up what you like and restrict yourself to putting one in the tube and one in the chamber and you're good to go. Another way that you can get exactly what you want without any danger of a mag tube detonation.

There's no one trying to prevent the 30-30 from being the best it can be. But there are certainly folks who don't want to see people blowing up rifles and causing injury for lack of good advice.
Since there are a lot of you that are very opinionated that the sky will fall if a different shaped projectile is used with powders different than you use well..ok. Be happy and maybe in another hundred years things will be exactly the way they are now. And you will continue to be happy. In that same hundred years the gun technology will be exactly the same as it is today... but I doubt it.
That's pure BS. You've received several recommendations for a new development from Hornady--pointed bullet ammo that is safe in lever actions using new powder technology for added muzzle velocity. That is totally contrary to the picture that you're tryig to paint of the responses you've received.

You WANT it to be true that the responses here are just responses from people who don't embrace new technology, but nothing could be further from the truth. The negative responses are in the interest of safety--they are not motivated by a desire to keep things from changing or no one would be recommending the Hornady LeverEvolution ammo.
With countless millions of rounds fired thru this weapon...
With countless millions of rounds carefully designed to be safe in tube magazines and a very few rounds of ammo not so designed, it's expected that we wouldn't see a lot of incidents involving mag tube detonations. It's been common knowledge for a very long time that it's dangerous so people don't need to keep tasting the egg to be sure it's still rotten.

So no, it's not strange at all. It's PRECISELY what should be expected.
As far as the recoil and spring pressure there's no way a recoil and subsequent reaction will equal a firing pin in pinpoint pressure and the quick snap taken to set off the primer.
I provided a documented incident where recoil and the subsequent reaction was sufficient to set off rounds in the magazine. And that was with the edge of a flat lead bullet, not the point of a copper jacketed bullet.

So it certainly can be enough, even if it doesn't "equal the pinpoint pressure and quick snap" at least in some calibers.

Can it be in the 30-30? You'll have to do your own experiment, I guess. It's obvious that there's a market for pointed bullet 30-30 ammo or Hornady wouldn't be making it. If there was a safe way to make pointed bullet ammo without the soft flexible tips, it's pretty clear that someone would be selling it. The fact that they're not should tell you something.
Oh.. I forgot. just leave everything the way its been for over a hundred years. Get rid of the new tip.
Nobody but you is making statements like this. The Hornady ammunition is a relatively new, and revolutionary development and I don't think you've heard a single negative comment about it on this thread.

There's no one implying that we should stick with the way things were 100 years ago, just that changes need to be made with an eye to safety--just as Hornady did with their new ammunition.
This reference is even more vague than before since we don't know if its even a lever action...
So, what's the list of non-lever action rifles approved for use in CAS?

What you're doing is your best to discount any information that goes contrary to your initial premise. That's not how you find out the truth, that's how you keep from changing your mind.
Sorry guys.. I just need SOMETHING in writing from a qualified source.
There is no source that you will accept as qualified because you've already made up your mind that you're right. You've already said that you believe it's impossible. How could someone provide you with evidence of something that you already believe is impossible?
No offense intended for anyone but no one has provided anything to change my mind that these incidents occurred...
I seriously doubt that anyone will. No offense, but if you were really approaching this topic with an open mind you could have easily found the truth without any help by doing some research on your own.

I've always been nervous about tubular magazines on centerfire rifles. It's putting a lot of faith that every little primer in every round will take repeated battering and not go off.

Some people I've seen have loaded and unloaded their Winchesters or Marlins so many times the rounds look like they were in a war. Some bullets get pushed back part-way into cases from being in the magazine when the rifle was fired several times. Several guys have bragged that they've used the same box of ammo for 20 years!

My centerfire rifles are all stacked-magazine bolt actions...just because they work for me and I feel safer using them.

The only real issue I've seen personally with pointy bullets is the tendancy for them to jam in the magazine tube,
or in the process of going from the tube to the chamber...

Especially when you've got half-a-mag empty...(shoot & move) chasing a group of wild hog...
plug a pair, then go running thru the brush, zap another, then go to reload and an ammo jam brings you to a screeching Halt...
for no other reason than the dang pointy tip gone past the carrier end...and they all went wonky inside the tube...

Didn't go BOOM, but it took an hour to figure out, clear, and resolve...
that alone put me off pointy ammo in a tube mag...it was Enough!!

Thanks for the last two logical responses. They make sense and I would have hate to have one get stuck in the tube when I needed it.

Jonksa.. you appear to be as thick headed as I am. I'm looking at that one publicized 30/30 incident that you nor anyone else ( so far ) can provide. And I still am searching for it as well. And if it has occurred there should be a way to resolve it without limiting the potential of the caliber. And unlike some that have posted that I should go blow my hand off well.. that doesn't deserve a response.. I have never suggested that anyone do anything they weren't comfortable with. It would take a complete boob to think that I or anyone else would taunt someone to do something proven unsafe. There will ( and has been progress ) as alluded to by the Leverevolution bullets. They don't conform with the standard bullets but are gaining acceptance. If feeding is a problem, and I have no doubt that it might be, that too will be addressed either by a bullet design change or a tube change/spring/etc or something else that a guy smarter than I can presently think of.. But the original question remains unanswered..

And it will remain so for you, as John pointed out.
It's pointless anyway, since it'd make no difference for you whatever.
You don't make your own ammunition & no company will make the load you want, so your continued arguments & rejections of answers to your question are a waste of time whether you get your "one publicized .30-30 incident" or not.

If you do get a "publicized incident", how would that benefit your life?
If you don't get a "publicized incident", how would that benefit your life?

Either way, you end up in the same place: no 3000 FPS .30-30 spitzer load to shoot in your gun.

Denis

I don't recall specifying the " load I want " please look thru the posts and you will see I posted none. I referenced a reloader making around a 3,000 fps 100 grain load that's all. No saying I wanted a 150, 170 etc etc 3,000 fps load. All I said was I wanted the 30/30 to be loaded the best it can be. Why do you guys throw in stuff that wasn't said ? I think what really gets a lot of guys is that you can't ( and I always preface it with " so far " ) haven't been able to come up with one. And for some with such a know it all attitude that must really frost your gonads. This does NOT apply to those who have given their areas of expertise to the best of their knowledge and submitted logical and thought provoking commentary. You decide who you are.

Apparently the 30/30 wasn't being loaded the best it can be because Leverevolution and Hornady changed all that. And it is a step forward. And there have been positive posts I acknowledged. The feeding issue with pointed bullets for example. Didn't think about it but certainly a valid concern.

If I find a publicized event it will confirm the concerns for over a hundred years were correct. And that's what I was curious about since the first post. I've put up with a couple of smart ass comments because I thought it was worth a give and take discussion on this. It's digressed into a " have to prove me wrong " at any cost. Remember the original post. Remember I never suggested an unsafe load. Remember all I said was I wanted the 30/30 to be the best it can be. How in the H E double LL can that statement cause this much consternation ? In fact, to those who seem to have lost sight, please go back to the beginning and reread the original post. I fully expected MANY or at the very least SOMONE to say yep... Read a news article, mag article, court case etc etc. and here it is. I'm astonished I haven't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back