Has Cabelas lost their minds?

I'd much rather shop in a plain old building with decent prices, and not some clothing boutique full of stuffed animals and aquariums. When our local Cabelas opened a few years ago they were always putting various reloading components on sale, not anymore and I barely stop in more than a couple times a year if I happen to be in the neighborhood. I mean seriously, how many different kinds of camo clothing does a person need?

Has cabelas lost their minds?

I live on the west coast of Washington state. The closest Cabelas is about 60 miles east of me. The only other retailer that stocks handloading components is The Dennis Co. about 5 miles away. Gunshops between me and Seattle aren't stocked with reloading stuff. The total sadness in this story is generic to our country. I paid Cabelas $36.oo a yea ago for 1k block of large pistol primers. This is now a penny more; next year it will be more. Individuals, like me can look for deals but the ultimate scenario is we are at the mercy of the big suppliers who will always set the base prices. Any independent outfit that sets up shop in my part of the world would have to turn more sales than the entire population of western Washington to make a fiscal profit. Considering that I shoot .45 Colt, adding things up: 5 cents/primer + 5 cents/charge of Titegroup + 13 cents/bullet = $11.50 per box of 50. Against $40.00/box this is winning.

Last time I visited Cabelas the reloading component shelves were bare. It's only a matter of time before Cabela Pro drops reloading stuff completely. Their prices are WAY inflated. I shop my small LGS's, screw big corporate greed.

I always laugh when I see these primer threads . Now I get it if you're loading 9mm or something real common and cheap for factory stuff . Then it "may" matter but I load match rifle ammo and save anywhere from $.50 to $1.50 per round I load . It's just not a deal breaker for me if I only save $.48 to $1.48 per round instead of the former because primers cost more . They are only a few penny's per round regardless of the price and have virtually no impact on the cost of my reloaded rounds . I mean $100 for 1k would be stupid expensive but I'd still be saving a lot of money per round compared to factory ammo .

Last edited:
although not the best/lowest prices in the world, my local gun shows usually have a couple dealers solely dedicated to selling just powder/primers. Their marginally higher prices are still way cheaper than I would spend with hazardous shipping costs. Unless of course I were buying in volume.

Would have to drive 30 miles just to buy primers of a brand i don't use. Am buying 5000-10,000 at a time on line, which lasts a while. The difference between $50/1000 and $30/1000 adds up real quick when it hits ya at one time.

I still have primers from the early to mid 90s left from when my wife and I sold a gun shop business. Looking at 5,000 count boxes of CCI BR primers I had marked at $75. :)

Granted about 25 years ago but I am seeing CCI BR primers now at upwards of $60 per 1K.

Ron

Sounds about right. I remember buying slips of 5,000 at well under $100 on Commercial Row at Camp Perry back then.

As near as I can tell, in normal storage primers never go bad, so stockpiling can be a reasonable thing when you spot a good price. The only downside might be future bans on lead styphnate primers being used at all. Also, technological advances might make them obsolete. But they'll always light up powder just fine.

Taking a stroll through the camo.

Taking a stroll through the camo: The local Cabella's has an extensive reloading section next to the Gun Library. All that stuff is in the back of the store when people have to walk through acres over price clothes. Around here they do or did buy guns. If you local Cabella's is like ours here I suggest your checking this out. Cabella's paid for their sins with me.

Last edited:
I was at the Fort Worth Cabellas just last week blowing an hour window-shopping and went through the reload and archery areas. Bags of 100 cleaned range brass for $32 - WTH?!? - package of 3 crossbow bolts for $65..... good grief.... how much are they charging to breathe the air?!? I left empty handed. I'll go elsewhere.

My guess is now that BP acquired Cabelas's they figure they have an industry monopoly so let's jack all the prices about 15% to absorb the acquisition cost. Typical big corporate 5 year plan. It won't work. Cabela Pro will end up in the loss column right along side Dick's if they are not careful...

The restoration of the veteran’s discount would be a big deal to me. I had pretty much stopped dropping in, as I felt insulted that they removed a veteran’s discount. Don’t offer one...that’s your right...but don’t offer it then take it away. That pretty much smacks of “you are not valued”. I’ve been taking my business to Gander Outdoors...much farther drive, but they have really good sales and discounts, and ...I get a Good Sam club discount.
5% military discount? That much, huh? They should offer 10% on their overpriced items. If Home Depot and Lowe's can offer a 10% military discount, why can't Cabela's.

My guess is now that BP acquired Cabelas's they figure they have an industry monopoly so let's jack all the prices about 15% to absorb the acquisition cost. Typical big corporate 5 year plan. It won't work. Cabela Pro will end up in the loss column right along side Dick's if they are not careful...

Bass Pro inherited over $1,000,000,000 in debt from Cabela's and that has to be made up somewhere.

Talk about old. I dug to the back of my cabinet and found a brick of large pistol primers and the tag on it for a sale price was $15.

...I dug to the back of my cabinet and found a brick of large pistol primers and the tag on it for a sale price was $15...
LOL! I just finished up a 1K box of Winchester LPP that I'd bought in 1998 that was marked at $12.95.

I must've gotten them at a gunshow. I don't remember them ever being that low. These days, I buy them at Scheels for $29.99 per K.

I get my primers at the Tulsa gun show.
There is a guy there that sells armscor primers at 100.00 per 5k.

Never had a problem with Armscor primers

I buy 25k to 30k at a time

Back