Has Cabelas lost their minds?

Cabela's in Dundee, MI hasn't changed too much in the last 6 months. They did run out of primers for a couple months but last Sunday they had a full shelf of Federal primers at normal prices. They usually keep a good supply and selection of powder and the reloading section in general is very good. They have a huge selection of bullets, brass, dies, and accessories. They stock RCBS, Hornady, and Lee Presses, Kits and equipment as well as Frankford Arsenal, and Lyman. They often have sales with good prices for instance right now Nosler Partitions for 25.99. I have purchased a lot of items but mostly when they are on sale.
My 2 year old grandson loves the place so I go there often.

white eagle said:
I don't wonder at all. Their big business is camping gear, fishing equipment, and clothing.

All they need is baseball bats and golf clubs and they will become the new Dick's.:rolleyes:

I recently bought 5000 primers from Brownells. They had free haz mat and free shipping.
It was one of their one day deals. 5000 primers, 1 lb Titegroup and 1 lb of Power Pistol, total to my door was 216.00. Watch for their one day free shipping and haz mat.

While big business can be frustrating, places like Cabs and BPS are what I refer to as "if all else fails try them" in supplies for reloading. Bullets...Online can be much more rewarding if your patient. Factor in shipping and suddenly the prices are closer then you think. I like those stores because you can touchy feely on items your on the fence about at a moments notice. That said I have purchased the S&B primers both Large and small cause the price was pretty good for 1k brick and they are very reliable performers.
Big business will always try and make big profits.

I order projectiles from everglades.. just ordered 2k 62 grain .224 ss109 for 195.00 and no shipping
Bass Pro...now Cabelas has lost my business.

It's a shame to Cabelas used to have some decent prices... now they are going the way of Bass Pro business model of over pricing everything

I had been looking for an 1886 lever action in 45/70 made by Pedersoli. On an out of town trip I stopped to walk around and rest and do some looking at a Cabelas. I saw in their gun library that they had an 1886 lever rifle and was labeled Pedersoli. Under closer inspection found out it was a Uberti. The cabala employee tried to convince me that Pedersoli was manufactured by Uberti. Now it was a beautiful rifle but the actions on Uberti's are not as smooth as Pedersoli's. I left the store and told employee and manager to get their facts straight...doubt that they will.

Last edited:
Personally, I wouldn't buy Win primers at Cabelas even if they were $18 for 1000. Junk primers IMO. When you check online prices, Cabelas is less compared to Bass Pro. Varget is $32.99 at Cabelas but $39.99 at Basspro. Cabelas price isn't that different from other retail stores in my area. But Basspro's price is just ridiculous.

Personally, I wouldn't buy Win primers at Cabelas even if they were $18 for 1000. Junk primers IMO.

Does Winchester make special primers for Cabela's to sell? :confused:
In the past, when Cabela's mailed me a $20 off coupon for purchases of $100 or more, I took advantage of it to stock up on W209 primers. Otherwise, I buy them by the sleeve from a vendor at the National Shooting Complex in San Antonio, TX. in order to get a bulk discount.

Personally, I wouldn't buy Win primers at Cabelas even if they were $18 for 1000. Junk primers IMO.

Really? I'd love to find them @ $28 a thousand like they used to be iffin I could. After tens and tens of thousands of rounds ignited with Winchester primers, I've yet to have even one Winchester primer fail. What was/is your issue with them?

As for prices, it seems locally that the price of powder and projectiles has crept up along with primers. A year ago, most places around here had primers for $3.95 for a sleeve of 100 and $35.00 a thousand. Now a sleeve is $4.50 and a case is $40.00. Most all of the powders I use have gone up about $2-$4 a pound. Unique used to $19.99, now it's $21.99. W231 used to be $21.99, now it's $23.99. H110 used to be $21.99, now its $24.99. IMR4227 used to be $25.99, now it's $29.99. Seems like a bigger jump than what they took during the shortage. Gonna hope someone comes out with something generic.......

The local flyer has co Bass Pro and Cabella's on it now.

Havn't been by in a while to look at prices. Mostly its been primers. Their powder selection was sort of ok, but only 1 lb jugs and some rare 8 lb IMR4350.

The had the ZMAX bullets but those are gone.

I just get them on line at as good or better prices.

after equipment, set up, and components, its only after about 75 million rounds that you break even from just buying the ammo. LOL

Let's see, the tittle of this group is RELOADING!

Maybe you wandered into the wrong section?

OP did not say a single thing about wanting an opinion on getting into reloading. Hint?

Soon they will go the way of Sports Authority, when Sports Authority stopped selling guns, and ammo, they went steadily down hill, until they went out of business....

I recently bought 5000 primers from Brownells. They had free haz mat and free shipping.
It was one of their one day deals. 5000 primers, 1 lb Titegroup and 1 lb of Power Pistol, total to my door was 216.00. Watch for their one day free shipping and haz mat.

Free haz mat and shipping and you only bought 2# of powder? Maybe 2 8# jugs would make it worthwhile.

Brownell's will offer the deal again. I didn't need powder, I added it as an after thought. I prolly should have got another 5000 primers tho.

Look at Graf's and Son; they run $7.95 shipping specials now and again and carry Nobel's Vectan line which is getting great reviews, especially when you buy 10 or 20 1.1# jugs

Since thy don't exist commercially, you're right! But I can reload 3/4oz 12 gauge for ~$3.85/box, so less than $39/flat works for me.....

Back