Handgun target thread. How well do you shoot?

I can generally hit the ground with my hat, if the wind isn't blowing too hard.

For some reason as I've gotten older, I've noticed that sights have gotten fuzzier. I've been meaning to write to a couple of manufacturers to see what's the deal. There is no excuse for such poor quality control.

But then, I don't "train." I don't "practice." I just go shooting. I also don't generally save my targets because I don't want any evidence around.

But I've got a few. Trust me. They're rare.

Ruger 22/45, BSA red dot sight, seven yards. About 40-40 rounds or so. I forget which.

Hi-Point, 9mm. About 60 rounds.

I would save a few more, but generally they look like buckshot patterns.

Try this

I am liking this one.

NCM_0911-L.jpg

A true 34' My son shot the right target.
NCM_1021-L.jpg

My snubbu that usually is in an ankle holster. Twenty Five Yards.
NCM_0729-L.jpg

Colt lightweight officers ACP
NCM_0927-L.jpg

This wasnt done by me....so maybe its irrelevant but at least it shows what its capable of lol. This is the target sent back with the gun when i sent it in to ruger.

3" Ruger SP101
7 yards
its claimed 1" but i measured and its not even 1" from OD to OD, center to center is more like .4"-.5"

Attachments

• SPtgt.jpg
    SPtgt.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 21
This wasnt done by me....

So, show us one done by you.

The target that they sent back with the gun notes that it was shot at 7 yards off a rest and is an example of what it can do accuracy wise.

tipoc

" Target"

Accuracy and speed are exclusive of each other. You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight (Not my words.). Target was the name of the thread. The answer lies within the the gun and control of the shooter. There was no question about speed in the opener. My handguns (hunting and target) all shoot a single ragged hole at 50' from a rest. Many times I can put 8 of 10 in the black at 50' on a standard B-2 slow fire target. Not the best by any means but hold my own in the leagues I have shot in.

Accuracy and speed are exclusive of each other.

I'm not so sure about that one. I think "accuracy" is related to and determined by the task, or challenge. What is useful and accurate in defensive shooting or a "combat" oriented shooting match is not the same as in bullseye or IMSA shooting and vice versa.

tipoc

It's important to not confuse "accuracy" and "marksmanship". The latter is the more general term and refers simply to seeing what you need to see, hitting what you need to hit, and, importantly, when you need to hit it. Sounds obvious, but tough to do.

Speed and marksmanship certainly aren't mutually exclusive. Run and gun games are based on the best balance of speed and accuracy. Good shooters might see a shot that's a bit outside the center scoring area, but they'll take the shot because taking it now is better for their score than taking a better one a hair later. The important thing here is that they saw the shot, took it, and the shot hit where they intended. That's as valid an example of marksmanship as the bullseye shooter seeing the x-ring and hitting it.

Where we get into trouble is "combat accuracy" at bullseye speed. There's nothing wrong with the former - so long as it's done at combat speed.

tipoc said:
So, show us one done by you.

The target that they sent back with the gun notes that it was shot at 7 yards off a rest and is an example of what it can do accuracy wise.

I would, unfortunately I've never been one to take pictures of my targets...I really need to start though!

Probably the best I've done, I have a Beretta U22 Neos and a 96A1, and with both at ~15 yards I've kept 100 rds of ammo all within a 6" black circle.

Rumor has it that for defensive needs, a lot of holes in the same place doesn't accomplish much more than the first one.

I've found it exceptionally difficult to put all my holes in the same spot under any circumstances. I certainly don't expect to while I'm moving, which it's likely I'll do in a defensive encounter. It's never crossed my mind to expect to shoot so tight a group while moving. When the target I'm shooting at is also moving the difficulty is more than doubled. So in defensive shooting or combat matches putting all the bullets in one hole, or a two to three inch hole at 10 yards is not an issue. The expectation that a fella could reliably do that is non-existent.

I've heard this more often as a criticism of a person shooting at stationary targets. It's a criticism of the shooting sports other than those that are combat oriented. A dis of the pleasures of plinking.

tipoc

My most important shots for every range trip is the magazine of my primary carry gun, which is the first thing dumped downrange each time. It is the entire mag fired as fast as possible while maintaining a good sight picture. It gauges how much more practice I need with that weapon to remain current, and the picture below is what I strive for. I've actually bested that several times, especially since changing grips, but no longer bring my targets home. Basically, the more that appear outside the X at 7 yards, the more carry ammo I fire, til I'm satisfied I'm back up to snuff. Naturally, time off the range is the biggest factor.

rotatecarry.jpg

For national security reasons I'm not allowed to post pictures of my targets. Nor am I allowed to let others watch when I'm shooting. :)

Rumor has it that for defensive needs, a lot of holes in the same place doesn't accomplish much more than the first one.

I find this almost amusing, and excuse to not shoot well, in a defensive shooting having the bullets land where you want is going to be more effective than "I'm gonna spray and hope something connects with an important part"

Don`t have a target but 5 bowling pins off the table from 25 feet in the summer of 78. 5 shots in 2.2 seconds with my 6 inch Python. Can`t do that anymore. Those were the days

Wish I could have been there to witness that Tom. ^^^ Shooting should be memorable like that. Not just expensive noise. I try to make it as fun and memorable as possible. Some of my best family memories involve shooting. Some I'd get crucified for telling, (not illegal, just unsafe), but I still get a big smile when I think back on them.

Most of mine look like this these days. I dont shoot at bulls eye targets much anymore, or in that fashion. These are more of what you get when you move, draw, and fire as you go, from about 10 yards and in....

ry%3D480

Now this one was shot at 10 yards with a Glock 42, getting it zeroed. Each "group" is multiple mags. The strays are when I started getting bored, and started to speed things up and shoot in a more normal fashion. :)

ry%3D480

A quick double-tap from the hip, from retention, after sweeping cover garment. I don't know the exact distance (see photo).

Attachments

• 2014-09-14 17.33.22.jpg
    2014-09-14 17.33.22.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 2014-09-14 17.33.22a.jpg
    2014-09-14 17.33.22a.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
The next three sets of double taps.

Attachments

• 2014-09-14 17.34.41.jpg
    2014-09-14 17.34.41.jpg