Handgun target thread. How well do you shoot?

I don't normally bring home my targets. But about a week ago I decided to bring home a six-shot group. This is with my Smith M67 38 Special, 4" bbl.

148gn lead DEWC, 2.9gn Bullseye.

Shot at 10 yards; double action. The string took about 10 seconds - so it wasn't rapid fire; but I wasn't going super slow just to get the hits either. I'm not a great shot, but I like to think I'm fairly accurate. . .

0908152042_zpspc6tau0e.jpg

I take internet bragging and pictures of targets with a grain of salt. Many are legitimate but some are not. We have no way of knowing the difference so I don't trust the accuracy of the posts.

I track all of my shooting. For instance, firing my CZ 85B 250 times at a distance of 10 yards, free standing, my average group size is 7.7".

The same firearm, free standing, distance of 7 yards, my average group size is 4.2" for 252 rounds fired.

Out of 974 total rounds fired I have had 7 failures to fire, 5 of those where with HSM ammo and 2 with WWB.

My best groups are using a Modified Weaver Stance using a revolver style grip.

osbornk said:
I take internet bragging and pictures of targets with a grain of salt. Many are legitimate but some are not. We have no way of knowing the difference so I don't trust the accuracy of the posts.

You're talking out both sides of your mouth - it clearly reads like you really believe most aren't legitimate. Nothing wrong with believing that - but just come out and say it. :rolleyes:

FWIW, I know what's "good" and what "do-able", so when someone posts a target, I generally know enough to trust it or not. But I also understand it's most often getting shown as a particularly good target; generally, posters don't represent it as something they'd be able to do every time.

Ok I will play:
Bersa Thunder .380. 3 mags at 15 feet. Hand loaded 95gr cast ahead of Red Dot.

100_9712_zpsiychdaeb.jpg

FWIW, I know what's "good" and what "do-able", so when someone posts a target, I generally know enough to trust it or not. But I also understand it's most often getting shown as a particularly good target; generally, posters don't represent it as something they'd be able to do every time.

Thats the truth. Not going to keep the cruddy one. And we ALL have cruddy ones.

I also understand it's most often getting shown as a particularly good target; generally, posters don't represent it as something they'd be able to do every time.

Mine (post #41) is a particularly good target for me - I admit it. I stated that it took about 10 seconds. I didn't have a timer; and knowing that the perception of time tends to slow when you're shooting, I'd revise and say it was probably more like 12 seconds or so. (The point being that I was not going super slow.)

When I'm practicing for an upcoming shooting event, I can "bear down" and repeat my posted result with near regularity. But I fully admit that my patterns open up a bit when I start shooting in the one-round-per-second neighborhood (the fastest allowed when practicing at my range). And that's the speed I need to go for action shooting practice. Even when I'm going fast, I'm hitting black over 95% of the time. All this with a revolver.

Last week, I had to re-qualify my three guns for CCW (S&W 686+,3"; Glock 29sf; Kahr CW9) . I was in a group of 11 people, and none of the others' targets looked nearly as good as mine. It wasn't even close. The most casual observer would easily point out my targets as the best. I was actually concerned that some of these people had CCW's. . . But that's for another post.

osbornk said:
Well, so what? It's not like it's a contest. People are just sharing their experience. You really think there are many people who are going to punch some holes at 10 feet and claim it was from 100 yds? Or say a 3 shot group was really 10 cuz the rest went in the same hole. Seriously? :confused:

My favorite handgun. Smith & Wesson model 64-3, 3" barrel. The gun shoots virtually the same with any load I've tried....but, this target was done with mostly 148 grain cast double-ended wadcutters over 3.5 grains of Titegroup.

Attachments

• 1441844537037.2 - Edited.jpg
    1441844537037.2 - Edited.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 32
The shooting performance I'm most satisfied with doesn't involve paper targets.

We like putting sporting clays on the 200 yard backstop and hitting them with the Contenders from the bench. We don't manage 100% hits with the TCU but both of us hit more than we miss. The 45 Colt is another story. It's a good piece and it's hard to complain about regular hits on 8" plates at 200 but the 4" plate and clays still dodge the bullets.

In the more conventional world I tend to put 5 out of 6 on the 6" plate at 50 yards with my 25-2 and can come close to that with my Kimber.

I'm not really a run and gun kind of guy so fast shooting isn't my bag.

I'm a mediocre shot. Below is a Model 14 fired da at 12 yards with Blazer 158gr. LRN ammo. I was getting flinchy about the time I shot this. All below was shot using a Weaver stance. At least I'm consistently mediocre.

S&W Shield 20 rounds of 115 gr. CCI Blazer ball ammo at 8 yards.

At 7 yards various ammo through a Sig P238 on the left and a S&W PPK/S on the right.

Glock 23 at 15 yards. 18 rounds of 180 gr. Win. JFP.

tipoc

Last edited:
Each time I go to requalify (G license) yearly. I shoot a big hole into the X-ring.

As a long time bulls eye shooter spent 40 plus years doing that, to me with a good trigger on my Glock 19, it is easy.

Last time the Instructor called me on it "Would you shoot so carefully if you were in a gun fight?"

Oh yes, but a bit quicker, said I.

Here's one of my Glock G35 with cast lead (yes LEAD reloads in a factory barrel). The target was 15 yards shot offhand.
Not my most accurate shooter but it is one of my favorites.

ba07fd089441cfcad9144b0fe2e7d7c2.jpg
13b9675e90d93fd7d5cc2ac8e21c2b9b.jpg

50 shots at 10 yards with my Glock 19

3280f9cd1b9f7c0a718b3311d3d708f4.jpg
95b75dbd75d972d9f15d938d8315b5ea.jpg

50 shots at 10 yards with my Sig 938

6d01e42e64c6fcf37d7ac7c48ec368a5.jpg
afc3337ea8811952574a03426769734d.jpg

50 shots at 10 yards with my Kimber Classic Gold Match

Glock 19
7 yards about 1/2 second between shots
Federal EFMJ 124 gr +P