Hand Guns I wish I had kept

AMT Govt. Never a magazine without a failure of some kind, even dripping with RIG +P. I would love to have that one back, simply because now that I have the time to make it work....by God, I would. I shouldn't and don't really miss it though, as I bought my Colt Mark IV with the proceeds from it as a down payment, and that's my finest gun. Only other gun I've sold, I don't miss at all.

I miss a lot of them, my pre '64 Winchesters that I sold when I got married and thought the extra money might come in handy, my S&W mod.35 (like the mod.34 , .22 Kit Gun with 6" barrel, don't know how rare it is, but I haven't run across another one and was my first Smith), S&W mod.39, 9mm, shot very well when I found the right load and was easy to carry, S&W mod.52, .38 Spl that was amazing with the right load, ...
I guess the lesson is "Don't sell any of your guns!", you're probably going to regret it.

On second thought, I was glad to see some of them go, sort of like old girlfriends and ex-wives!

Last edited:
All of the guns I've sold/traded went for guns beter suited to my area of study at the time.

Do wish I had my Python back so I could sell it at today's prices! Otherwise, I sure don't miss that revolver.

Bob Wright

I have always followed Cheapshooter's rule, with the out clause "unless you REALLY don't like it". So I have no regrets.

Pretty much every metal gun I have ever had, I regret selling, just because the price I see them going for now is double what I paid for them 10 years ago. I bought a mint S&W 66-2 in April, 2005, for $325. Sold it for $425 2 years later. A Model 64 4" bought used for $175 in 2011, now they're over $400.

But the one TRUE regret I have was a S&W Model 19-2, 4" barrel. Gun was PERFECT. Must have been sitting in a sock drawer since 1967 when it was made. Diamond target stocks with matching number to the gun. Mirror bluing. Pinned and recessed. Flawless. Got it for $249 in a gun shop. Owner's son had just gotten it in that morning. Probably from the widow of the owner when she was clearing out his things. Kid said "nobody wants revolvers anymore". I nearly broke my arm getting my wallet out. I shot exactly 50 rounds out of it and cleaned it. But it was so nice I knew I'd never shoot it much, if ever. I sold it 3 months after buying it for $775. Yeah, I tripled my money, but that money is long spent and I do miss that beautiful revolver.

Plastic guns have come and gone and I could care less. I have a really nice Model 10 that my son will get one day. He really likes the look and feel of that revolver. He likes my 67-1 also, but he's more drawn to the blued Smith.

I traded off a Colt Sport Woodsman for a revolver.
I gave a Belgian Browning Challenger to my uncle.
I sold a Smith and Wesson Model 66 first year production.
I sold a German Walther PPK that I bought new for $98 in 1967.
I sold a like new Browning HP to a friend. . .for no good reason at all.
I sold a Belgian Browning Sweet 16 that I bought in high school. I paid $127 for it at Sears and sold it for $100 after I got out of the Navy in 1967.

A W. German made PPK/S in 7.65 mm. It never malfunctioned. It felt perfect in the pocket. I needed the money, but definitely should have sold something else:confused:

Last edited:
I sold a couple that I regret now. The first was a Walther PP made around 1940 and the second was a Dan Wesson 32 Magnum. I can't remember the model for the Dan Wesson, but I did not realize just how rare the 32 Magnums are until after I had sold it.

what was I thinkin'???

I traded away a very nice, pinned and recessed 6" M27, cause I had to have a M29 to hunt deer with. Had a presentation box to boot.

How was I to know they'd stop making them?

Back