Hand Guns I wish I had kept

3 thompsons different configurations, just kidding, my dad, coming back from Italy to refurbish in case they had to go to Japan, traded them for a duffle bag of cigarettes. He said he was never search upon coming back to the States. He had carried one through N Africa, Sicilly etc.

The only one I really wish I still had was Ruger single action Blackhawk in .357. It was sweet, had a great trigger and was fun.

Many years ago I traded a Ruger Police Service Six to get a S&W model 19. It was a good trade in my mind, a genuine upgrade, and I kept the S&W until a few years ago when I passed it on to my son. Still, I sometimes wish I still had that old Ruger.

I wish I was able to keep every handgun I ever owned, mostly, but for sentimental reasons, I would like to still have the first one I bought. It was a new S&W 645 when they first came out around '86.

you know looking back I have no handguns that I regret getting rid of. sure there was some immediate sellers remorse but nothing that lasted. My first pistol was an XDM45, one of the first off the line, it now belongs to my brother, I already had the XDM45 compact which I used a lot more when I made the decision to sell. then there was the XDM9, which I bought from the same brother... I didn't shoot it that much, traded it for a great hunting rifle to a brother-in-law who still lets me shoot it quite a bit. then there was an XD45 I got in trade, I really didn't care much about it to begin with, I got it in trade for some junk ammo I was having trouble offloading anyway. lastly there was an arcus 98DAC and Canik TP9, both of which I bought because I wanted to see how nice cheapo pistols were... spoiler alert... not very nice. traded both of them for a junk AK I also will have no regret getting rid of.

now the handguns currently in my possession are all quite nice and will likely remain in my collection for many moons to come. namely the afforementioned XDM45 compact, a ruger SR9 compact, a Springfield range officer, and a Ruger 22/45. all great guns, all do their jobs well, the reason they are still in my collection when the others are not.

Second gen Colt SAA.357, couple Winchester 92s, Colt Woodsman, 308 Ruger 77 International, couple Colt 1917s 3 5" Smith 27s, Walther P-4, MAC10 select fire. Etc. We all have a cross to bear.

Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
I couldn't afford to own even close to all the guns I have owned and sold. I couldn't store them either. I learned about them, got some experience with them, then sent them on to a new home. A few /i regret selling, but overall it has worked well for me.
It isn't like I owned one offs that were irreplaceable. Identical models are on gunbroker right now.

Most of the guns I sold, there were good reasons (other than only financial need), so while I may sometimes wish I still had them, I don't really regret the sale. There a few guns I truly regret and one or two more I wish I kept, but it isn't that big a deal.

I most regret selling my .40S&W SIG P229. It was a great gun, but I needed the money. I am a teacher, and where I used to work didn't pay us over the summer, and due to some unexpected expenses, I didn't have enough to get through the summer so I sold one my favorite guns because it was worth the most and I needed to pay bills.

I regret my CZ 40B, I didn't love .40S&W yet so I sold it and they have been out of production and nearly impossible to find and replace for years. I sold a S&W 57 from the first year of production because it was so hard (and expensive) to find .41mag ammo (why didn't I just start reloading the caliber :confused: ).

The last one, it isn't so much the gun (a Taurus 82), nothing wrong with it, but it was a pretty plain-Jane medium frame .38spl with no particular history or pedigree. It will be easy to replace. However, it was my first handgun and I got rid of it for a stupid reason. I figured I'd only own a small number of guns: a couple rifles, a shotgun, one revolver, and one pistol. When I bought the .357mag I really wanted and a 1911 the revolver and pistol I already had were to be sold because I only needed one of each. Now, I really wish I still had my first handgun, and I have a lot more than one revolver and one pistol.

A 1006 that I had for a week. Traded into it, offered good money to sell it, and had no attachment to it. This was all done when they were still in current production.

Hindsight..........

Second gen Colt SAA.357, couple Winchester 92s, Colt Woodsman, 308 Ruger 77 International, couple Colt 1917s 3 5" Smith 27s, Walther P-4, MAC10 select fire. Etc. We all have a cross to bear.

my goodness....
Steve-Buscemi-Sobbing-and-Drinking-Reaction-Gif.gif

I've bought, sold and traded lots of guns over the years and don't regret any of it. I've sold a few, temporarily regretted it and bought a virtually identical replacement. I usually ended up with a nicer gun for the same money, sometimes less. Nothing I own is so rare that it can't be replaced.

Oh man....a 1933 vintage Luger 9mm, in virtually new condition, still in the original packing case with holster, take down tool and two matching magazines. The gun was in a packing crate with German WWll markings, Russian stamps, N. Korean and Chinese stampings, as well as N. Vietnamese. It came out of a cash in Cambodia in 1970, overrun when we went in with Special Forces.

Word was 'they' were going to search our hold baggage enroute back to the 'world' after my tour in Vietnam, so the gun and all its accoutrements went to my replacement....

I could have put both of my sons through Harvard on the collector value of that pistol...

Rod

In a perfect world, CheapShooter's rule would be perfect.
However, it comes with a heavy penalty...if you never want to buy a new gun, you never have to sell any of your existing guns. Not a trade-off many of us will make.

In the world most of us live in, if you want to buy something new, you need to sell something old. That is known as being an adult, and making adult decisions.

Most of us don't own 12 homes, 12 cars, 12 snowmobiles, 12 motorcycles...however, if we do it right, we can own 12 firearms.

However...12 firearms equates to about one car, motorcycle or snowmobile...and nowhere near one home.

Yes, I have a few I wish I had kept. I could make a list...but it would be a short list.

On the other side, I have owned a whole bunch of guns that I would never have known of, or owned....except that I sold/traded something that I no longer really desired.

On balance, very few regrets. And none of them show stoppers.

Back