Had to pull my gun in my house, ended up being a funny story

Status
Not open for further replies.
A deputy in VA shot his daughter sneaking back into the house at 3am
Yesterday.
If he had held behind cover and concealment and called out a challenge-
Ugh, grounded is better than hospitalized in serious condition.

Well, getting away from the bickering on tactics and back to the intent of the thread, I have a story.

I live alone, most of the time I am the only one in the house at night. My 2-story townhouse is set up in a way that the best defensive position is at the top of the stairs just outside my bedroom door. From this position I can see the front door. And with no lights on upstairs and a small nightlight positioned on the far wall of the living room downstairs, I can see movement/shadows of anything moving downstairs.

So one night last winter, I am sleeping soundly when I am awoken by a couple of "bangs" downstairs. I sit up in bed and listen...only to hear another dull thump and what truly sounds like a window being slid open. The adrenaline kicks up a notch and I roll over to retrieve my GP100 and flashlight from the nightstand and creep out of the bedroom and peek down the stairway.
I stay there, tense and listening for what seems like 10 minutes (was probably 5-10 seconds) when I hear another like clunk right at the bottom of the stairs, but can see no shadow of anything moving in the living room.
Just as I am about to yell a verbal challenge, I see something fall to the floor at the foot of the stairs.

It's a hockey stick!!!

I had played hockey the day before and put my skates, duffle bag in the living room and leaned my stick against the wall.
I deduced that the first "bang" I heard was one of my skates falling off the top of my duffle onto the tile floor. The next dull thump and "window opening" sound was the stick sliding along the wall, and finally falling to the ground at the bottom of the stairs for me to see.

The problem with investigating every bump in the night is if there ever is a bad guy you've given up every tactical advantage, probably are making more noise that he is while moving through the house because he will hear your bump and naturally freeze to set up ambush.

Everyone has a different comfort level for bumps in the night. I'm one of those that naturally want to investigate so a while back I you tubed house clearing techniques... my consensus was even the swat and seal teams don't want to do it and I certainly am not going to. I challenge anyone who is not a professional to study proper house clearing methods before thinking they are qualified to clear their own house. Its pretty much the worst thing you can choose to do. I changed my tactic to sitting up in bed and just listening and its pretty simple. If its a natural noise (ice maker, house settling) you'll fall asleep again before it ever happens again. If its a bad guy you will hear him again and you simply barricade and call the police (see post 12).

As far as being "that guy" its better to be that guy than dead guy. If you find yourself always calling the cops for things that are harmless then you need to learn from that and adjust your mindset and program your mind to learn the noises that are naturally harmless.

Thanks everyone for the input. I realize that if you hear someone/something in the middle of the night the book says set up Fort Knox in the bedroom and call the police. But then again the book only gets you a win in ideal situations(or in this case, less than ideal situations)I just didn't feel like my situation required a door broken in and the parents freaked out (not really gun people). When i had gotten home, the door was still locked, hadn't seen any signs of forced entry, and everything seemed to be normal besides the music/talking. Unless I am sure there is something seriously wrong, I am the type of person that will always go investigate the bump in the night because otherwise I won't be able to just fall back asleep. Whether this is wrong or right in your opinion it is just how I am. I also know I could have handled my situation better but you know how it is in the heat of the moment. That is why I plan on getting more training in order to handle future situations with more competency. Anyways thanks for all the responses, and i enjoyed reading the other stories/advice you guys/girls had to offer.

Frankly I think that your title was bad. Pulling your gun in your house and not having to fire is a great ending. But it's not really funny. That could only be funny if Barney Fife did it.

My house clearing adventure

A number of years ago, when I was stupider and less experienced, I actually tried to respond to a noise in the night. At the time, we lived next to the unfinished Route 476 in a house with a long driveway leading to a 1-block cul-de-sac street. I was wakened by a noise from downstairs.

I checked on my boys - both of whom were fast asleep in their rooms. Then I was hit by a wave of idiocy. I grabbed my trusty 12 ga., and instead of just holding at the top of the stairs and calling 911, I decided to investigate. With flashlight in left hand (but off) and shotgun with a round in the chamber and safety off in the right hand, I crept barefoot down the stairs. I looked into office, living room, dining room, family room and kitchen - nothing. I hear a muffled banging coming from the basement.

Adrenaline and macho idiocy set to high, I crept down the basement steps. The noise was coming from the garage. Dilemma - I have a shotgun in my right hand, flashlight in my left, and no third hand to open the door to the garage. So, I put the flashlight down, use my left hand to throw open the door to the garage and quickly turn on the garage light while yelling "FREEZE!" which the raccoon that had knocked over three trash cans did before hissing at me and running out through the outside garage door that I had forgotten to close before going to bed.

As I sat on the steps letting the adrenaline dump fade away, three things went through my mind:
1) Close the garage door when I get home, not before I go to bed.
2) If I had fired, how would I explain shooting out my car's headlights to the insurance company.
3) I am a total idiot for trying to clear the house. My original plan was to round up the boys, put them in the bedroom with my wife, and cover the stairs with the shotgun. From now on, that's what I'll do.

Luckily, I never had a repeat scare like that. My boys have long since grown up and gone out on their own, but the lesson remains learned. It was a cheap lesson at that.

1. I'm amazed at the number of people who want to rationalize why they "need" to clear a house by themselves. Good advice to the contrary has been posted and really should be adopted.

2. I'm surprised that no one asked why the OP has a "carry gun" and a "range gun." For those of us whose last name isn't Miculek, Leatham or Enos, your carry gun should be your "range gun."

Just my $.02 worth.

There are LOTS of different scenario's and trying to make a rule that fits them all is nonsense. Guidelines are good and going through the motions are very valuable.

I have “cleared” my house, actually several places, more than once over the years. I only had one encounter with a bad guy.

The bad guy was trying to undo the door chain on the door into my apartment. I had moved in 2 days prior and since they would not change the locks, I put the chain on.

I was falling asleep when I heard the chain rattle. Getting up and looking down the hallway I could see his hand working at the chain. I racked the slide on my Browning 9mm to chamber a round – and he heard that. Next thing is the sound of running feet.
I didn't expect him to hear me racking the slide, I was just getting ready.

dawg23 said:
I'm amazed at the number of people who want to rationalize why they "need" to clear a house by themselves.

As others have stated, trying to make one rule fit everything is nonsense.

Alarm system in the green, all three dogs lying there licking their paws and I hear a bump? I have a VERY hard time imagining any one hunkering down and calling the cops.

dawg23 said:
For those of us whose last name isn't Miculek, Leatham or Enos, your carry gun should be your "range gun."

Many of us have more than one gun. One of my range guns is a scoped, 9.5" barreled Super Redhawk. You must be very popular with the ladies if you can use that as your "carry" gun!

Last edited:
I'm not going to dispute the fact that clearing a home may not be the best way to proceed.

But I will state that I firmly believe that a person must willing to risk bodily harm (or death) in defending what is important to them.

As has been stated, there are millions of different scenarios and no one answer fits every question.

It is always stated that "racking the action" of a shotgun is a dumb move. But on one occasion many years ago, it was that very action (no pun intended) that ended a possible confrontation in my own home.

I think that it is often believed that criminals are supermen intent on dueling it out with their victims, or assailing home owners with ninja-like combat skills.
On the other end of the scale is gun-owners that think the gun gives them the god-like power to control and dominate any opponent in any situation.
Of course, as always, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

And the fact is many criminals are looking for the easiest prey and will break and run with any sign of resistance.

How you factor in the variables and come to you risk threshold is a very personal choice.

Oh, and my carry gun is not my home defense gun.

I have the same Glock 19 that I carry, and shoot IDPA with.

Have a few more Glock's, other guns, they live in a safe in the Garage.

My Jeep shares the Garage! Never stays outside. Back in.

My Wife and I live in my wee town house. If I am up, I am armed, and Cell Phone.

Called the OCSO once, some one pulled the screen door open, if locked you can pull it open, but it gives a loud crack sound, then you can hear the rubber wiper on the bottom, make a distinctive sound as it pulls across the door mat.

These two sounds woke me up (not my Wife) bedroom door open, hear no other sound, from top of stairs, can not hear anything else, 2-30am, call dispatch, on Cell phone, await the troops!

Five or six Deputy's show up? Dead quiet night? The Dispatcher kept me on the phone, made sure my Glock was upstairs, when I went down stairs to let them in.

No one in house, but someone had definitely pulled the screen door open.

Lots of thank you's, back to bed. Only call in ten years.

If I had to do that again, would turn my very! bright LED light on the stairs.
Glock in right hand. And wait a while.

I used to get fooled by creaks and bumps at night quite a bit. Then my wife got two cats that like to play at night. Now its less "clear the house" and more "find what thing the cats broke tonight". Generally if the dog slept through it, its probably normal in our house.

Now when you have both cats + dog in the bed and something crashes, different story. Had that recently, turned out to be an over carbonated home brew that exploded at about 3 am. Exciting event.

When I was in 3rd grade a man broke into our house one night My room was the first one he got two and I totally buried myself under my blankets so he would not see me as he flashed his light around the house. He must have thought we were not home. He screwed up when he got to my parents room. My mother is a light sleeper and woke up when he shined the light into the room. The guns were all locked away because of me and my younger sister were in the house. He waited a few seconds thinking maybe I had gotten up to go to the bathroom. When the flashlight moved to my sisters room he decided something was wrong he flew out of bed like some sort of Ninja and charged the guy. the police were sure they knew who did it but the rain washed away too much evidence. They found some footprints and lights were on in his home so they questioned him. He answered the door in a robe and muddy shoes. He apparently jumped out the window he broke the lock on, jumped all of the fences going down the street, crossed the street and jumped the fences on the other side of the street and entered his home through his back door. Thankfully he was not armed.

Another time when I was much older and married someone picked the lock into my basement. My wife was at work I had my shotgun in the closet and 3 dogs sleeping at the foot of my bed. I heard my German Shepherd stir when the stairs started creaking but he stay put because he probably thought it was my wife coming home and she would be heading to bed shortly. I grabbed the shotgun and stood just inside my bedroom door were I could here more clearly but not be seen or heard. my Shepherd was a retired police dog. When the BG got to the top of the stairs I sicked my dog on him. He was so fast that he got there before I could rack a shell into the chamber the dog latched on and the guy ended up going head over heals down the stairs and right out door he entered through. I called my dog off because I had my shotgun at the ready but the guy ran off and I was not going to shoot him in the back. The police never found him but they stepped up patrols in the area.

I've had many situations where bumps, bangs, creaking doors and so forth have had me look in my basement, or even the ground floor as we slept. It has never been an intruder. One time, I called police about a person walking around my yard, crunching on leaves, when I couldn't see that person through the windows.

It turned out to be a rabbit. They hop, not walk, and a rabbit hopping through the yard sounds just like footsteps.

Checking my basement every year or so is a spooky situation. I am totally vulnerable as I go down the stairs. I never go down them without checking to see if the outer door has been compromised, to allow entry to the basement. It's just logical.

it sounds like you were a little jumpy. Maybe that's what you should have done, maybe not.

Edited for Clarity:

(Back when I was working Evening / Midnight Patrol in another jurisdiction)
The wife and I came home from a day trip to Northern Va to find the door forced on the house. We had lived in our rural community for more than ten years at the time, where most didn't lock their doors. I called the Sheriff's Office, identified myself and asked for a deputy for backup. I told them we had a break in and didn't know if they were still in the house but we were both armed and covering until they arrived.

The deputy took his sweet time getting there, but on his arrival I started to brief him on the layout of the house and told him that when we entered, he needed to be aware of the.....

"UH... you can wait outside sir...." the deputy said. He stood on the porch with both thumbs hooked in his gunbelt, and his weapon holstered.

"UH... my house and I know the layout. Done this before. You are here to back me up on this one speedy, I told him" I had my vest on over a T-shirt and was ready to enter.

He shook his head and told me that it was his jurisdiction and I would go back to my car while he waited for his partner to arrive, he was getting dressed and would probably be here, within the hour.

"How many building searches have you done?" I asked him, "I do about between five and ten a week, and have been working patrol for about 10 years, you do the math"

He started to follow me in the door with his weapon still holstered. I nodded at the gun in its holster:
"You going to draw that and back me or what?"

"They are most likely gone. When my boy get's here we'll walk thru and check the place and I'll take the report."

I turned and told him to wait outside if he wasn't going to take the search seriously. He could make his choice. Either way, I'd take his conduct up with the Sheriff the next morning. He walked off the porch and stood in the yard and pouted. I searched the house and found that we had interrupted the burglary, only my wife's snubby and some ammo were missing. Some jewelry collected on the bed had been left behind and none of the rest of the goodies NOT in the safe had been bothered. They had run out a side door and into the woods when we came up the driveway. (250 yards winding up the ridge. )

The new deputy hadn't been there long, and wasn't there long after. Seems he had a number of complaints, and mine was one of the last the sheriff wanted to hear. The back up deputy arrived about 30 minutes after I completed the search. The burglar was never found. We had our suspicions but no proof. I put in the alarm system and cameras right afterwards.

They don't just take property, they take your peace of mind.

Last edited:
Posted by brokenolmarine: The wife and I came home from a day trip to Northern Va to find the door forced on the house. We had lived in our rural community for more than ten years at the time, where most didn't lock their doors. I called the Sheriff's Office, identified myself and asked for a deputy for backup.
A private citizen does not call for a deputy for "backup".

I told them we had a break in and didn't know if they were still in the house but we were both armed and covering until they arrived.
What would you have done with your firearms had someone come out of the house?

"UH... you can wait outside sir...." the deputy said. He stood on the porch with both thumbs hooked in his gunbelt, and his weapon holstered.
At which point, that is exactly what you should have done.

"UH... my house and I know the layout. Done this before.
Read Frank's posts above on who had the advantage. By the way, he knows what he is talking about.

You are here to back me up on this one speedy, I told him
Come again?

I searched the house and found that we had interrupted the burglary... They had run out a side door and into the woods when we came up the driveway.
You were extremely lucky.

Consider what Frank has said, and remember that your firearm offered you absolutely no ballistic protection--none.

I put in the alarm system and cameras right afterwards.
Good.

They don't just take property, they take your peace of mind.
Entering a house to do whatever you intended to do if you encountered someone would not give you peace of mind.

My error, I didn't make my background clear and I'm new here. I thought the post was more informative than it obviously was.... that's the problem with posting on the forums, especially when you are new.

I was a patrol officer in another county at the time... I also taught street survival, officer safety and building search in the academy; and was a department firearms instructor and armorer. I also had a 50 yard range on the farm and taught private classes and shot competitively. The wife and I were known to the sheriff and the department and had lived in the county for some time. I had "Identified myself to the dispatcher and asked for backup." The firearm offered protection as I was well versed in both it's use and the search techniques, but also, I was wearing my ballistic vest. Had I been through specialized building search training in the academy? Yup. Shoot House? Yup. Force on Force? Street Survival Seminars? Yes to all.

There are some of us qualified to search our property. THAT was the whole point of the post.

In addition:
We were well known to not only the Sheriff's Office but to the State Police working the area as both the wife and I were EMTs with the rescue squad here and working two counties in the rural area, where Troopers respond not only on traffic but to back the local departments as needed. The wife responded to MOST of the calls in the area since she was a housewife, and available more often than not. I also responded when I wasn't working evening or midnight patrol.

What would I have done if we found someone exiting the house with a weapon? We would have challenged from cover and stopped the threat if one existed. I was ON my property, clearly posted farmland, and within my rights to challenge an armed suspect and demand they comply.

Last edited:
I agree with your last statement entirely. After a burglary, nothing returns the peace of mind that the burglar has taken. The sanctity of your home has been violated and that cannot be restored. The alarm system and cameras can give the wife a sense that there is a bit more security. We can have a bit more comfort knowing that the house is monitored when we are away, but ... our peace of mind will never be restored. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back