Had to pull my gun in my house, ended up being a funny story

Status
Not open for further replies.
derbel mcdillot said:
"Who's there!?" "What's going on!?" A verbal challenge establishes your presence. If there is an intruder it provides information as to whether or not he/she is there to commit a property crime or a violent crime.

You really expect the bad guy hiding in your house to actually answer your verbal challenge and tell you whether he's there to hurt you or just to steal your stuff? Would you believe him no matter what he said if he really (unbelievably) did answer?

Now that he knows where you are, why wouldn't he just be quiet and wait for you to come to him, then take you out?

Well, dang.
Just last night, there was an incident here, that fits this conversation.
About midnight, there's a loud noise out front.
I look up from the couch where I had been reading, and I see someone peeking in the front window.
Then watch them move past the adjacent window, then back down our walkway toward our cars in the driveway.
I turn on the outside lights to see out there better.
There's two completely darkened cars parked at the curb, facing the wrong way, and a very noisy third vehicle with the parking lights on, just out of sight.
Just on a hunch, I park my trusty revolver on the nearest chair and take a chance.
Opening the front door, I see two cop cars and an ambulance.
They all had come to our door, by mistake.
By the time I had reacted, they were down the street two houses with a rolling stretcher.
Hope whoever was hurting is ok.
It definitely pays to assess the situation before acting.
Jumping to conclusions can cause unnecessary problems.

Last edited:
You really expect the bad guy hiding in your house to actually answer your verbal challenge...

I expect family members and house guests who are making noise to answer.

...and tell you whether he's there to hurt you or just to steal your stuff?

An intruder inside your home for the purpose of stealing stuff is likely to just leave once you establish your presence. An intruder that doesn't leave can then be regarded as having violent intent. Therefore a verbal challenge provides you useful information.

No answer from either family, friends or bad guy? You raise the ante: "I have a gun! I've called police! Get out of my house!" This helps eliminate the risk of shooting family or friends.

Now that he knows where you are, why wouldn't he just be quiet and wait for you to come to him, then take you out?

A boogeyman breaks into your house, ignores verbal challenges and warnings that you're armed and police are on the way, and hides in the shadows just to ambush and shoot you and get away before police arrive because - why?

You're in your bedroom or safe room and the verbal challenge you holler provides only a general indication of your location.

Just about every tragic shooting in which a family member or house guest is mistaken as an intruder and is shot could have been easily avoided had a verbal challenge been used. Waiting until you're at the brink of using deadly force to identify the threat as friend or foe is putting the ones you love at extreme risk.

One size definitely does not fit all.

My home is more than 20 miles from the nearest actual town. My local precinct constable is likely the nearest LEO and he lives nine miles and 20 to 25 minutes from me. And, of course, he’s not always home. Nor would he, assuming he were at home, appreciate me calling him at 0200 to report a strange noise in my house.

I will be investigating strange noises in the night. There’s simply no one else to do it.

Perhaps my strangest incident:

Setup: I was home alone with wife away for the weekend and, when that’s so, I sleep in a downstairs spare bedroom which is used for storing extra furniture due to ongoing remodeling. Because of the extra furniture, I keep the closet light on in the bedroom with the door cracked open about an inch to help me navigate.

I got up for a 3 am bathroom visit down the hall. When I returned, the bedroom was dark and my first thought was; “Dang closet bulb burned out”. When I got near the closet in the semi-dark I could see that the closet door was completely closed and the light switch, which was outside the closet door, had been switched off.

I got goose bumps and an adrenalin rush, thinking; “There’s someone else in the house”.

I picked up my 1911 and flashlight from the bedside table and began clearing the house. I did not turn on any additional light as there was some ambient light from the distant kitchen and I know the house well and didn't want to advertise my position any more than necessary.

It was a tense few minutes, including a slow and severely tense trip up the stairs, before I determined that there was no one in the house but me and all doors were still locked, including upstairs.

My wife has thought, since the week we moved in, that the old house is haunted. I’m skeptical but, in any case, I’m not afraid of ghosts, so I turned on the closet light, relaxed, and slept the rest of the night.

Will

Thought I might be kicking the hornet nest. Since the nest is stirred up, I’ll shamble forth with other opinions.

First important point - in my mind, there is a dividing line between tactics when you don’t know if someone is in your house and when you know for certain they are inside
Pax’s remarks are prefaced by her statement “When a criminal breaks into your home…;” therefore, the good advice she gives is directly tied to the known presence of an intruder(s). In seems the golden rules are hunker down, stay put and call the law, but is that the advice applicable to all situations? As stated in my first post,
...It wouldn't be too smart to go back to bed if there was an intruder inside...

I used the word “if” on purpose. “If” is not the same as pax’s “when”. It is an unknown versus a known. When the night comes that the intruders are ripping, snorting and having a party in the front of the house, the golden rule is good; arm up, set up, send wife to bathroom to make the call.

However, the opening post was concerning an unknown noise. That is where I would diverge from the norm. A couple of times in the past year, both of us were awakened by loud noise (which was tree limb dropping on the house in one case and a dish falling out of place due to the earth’s rotation in the other, but these were unknowns at the time).

Our house has a great setup for static defense for the two of us. Small pane windows set at least five feet above ground level. Master bedroom, in rear, can only be reached by traversing common hallway. Rooms feeding into the hallway have pocket doors, which are closed and chocked with wood wedges at night. Entry through one of those doors is possible, but would create significant noise. Tiled bathroom is hide hole for wife.

Even with this layout. I am not about to call the law on the basis of a single noise. After picking up the bedside weapon, we’re going into quiet mode to see if there are any additional unknown sounds. Check the clock and lay still for 15 to 20 minutes listening. After I feel confident there is no intruder, I will do a search so we can get back to the business of sleeping.

Why not call the law first thing? Might work out good if the intruder is only after property; however, I don’t want to reveal my/our location to anyone prowling around inside the house. Same theory applies to racking a shotgun or chambering an AR round, which gives away my position.

Then let’s assume there is no intruder and never was and I have called the station. Now the law will have to break into my home through solid wood, dead bolted doors while I hunker down in the rear (and hope an overly amped up enforcement officer doesn’t let off any rounds)

Third lovey thought is this – call the law and they get there quick enough to trap the intruder(s) inside. Dicey for sure!

My tactics – I’m going quiet, waiting and will only move to room clearing when I feel confident the room is already clear. Will have to give some thought to the tennis ball thing mentioned elsewhere.

derbel mcdillet said:
A boogeyman breaks into your house, ignores verbal challenges and warnings that you're armed and police are on the way, and hides in the shadows just to ambush and shoot you and get away before police arrive because - why?

You're in your bedroom or safe room and the verbal challenge you holler provides only a general indication of your location.

This thread is about investigating an unusual noise. You don't know that a bad guy is in the house, you just heard a thump or bump that you didn't recognize.

Do you really shout a verbal warning, then call the cops and hunker down in your safe room every time you hear a slightly unusual sound?

Bet the cops LOVE you!! :rolleyes:

Posted by 45_auto: Do you really shout a verbal warning, then call the cops and hunker down in your safe room every time you hear a slightly unusual sound?
Of course not. Spend some time with the links in Post 12. The answer to your question has been beaten to death in the past few years.

You did just fine. A little concern for something out of the ordinary is not unusual, as long as you didn't draw and point a gun at someone you don't intend to shoot. :cool:

Of course not. Spend some time with the links in Post 12. The answer to your question has been beaten to death in the past few years.

Appears that the "Official Internet Answer" is always hunker down and call the cops if you hear a strange sound.

No big deal if someone is beating down your door or yelling and smashing in your window.

However, in the real world, if I hear a "bump" from the kitchen (icemaker hung up? dishes shifted in the dishwasher?), I don't know anyone who doesn't go look without calling the cops.

Maybe I just need to meet more "Internet Experts"!

I live in a studio apartment with about 1000 sq. ft. and you can bet if I hear a strange sound at night the SKS is going to come into action and deal with any threat.

That is, if there is one.

45_auto said:
...However, in the real world, if I hear a "bump" from the kitchen (icemaker hung up? dishes shifted in the dishwasher?), I don't know anyone who doesn't go look without calling the cops...
Do what you've got to do. But there is an overarching, inescapable reality:

If you go exploring when you think there might be a bad guy, and there is, he has a significant advantage. And there's an excellent chance things won't end well for you. (And if you're sure it was the ice-maker, why'd you take your gun?)

That is reality. Deal with it as you see fit.

Many people criticize the "racking" of a pump shotgun as giving away your position. I still can't help thinking that the sound of a shotgun being loaded is going to be somewhat of a deterrent to a prowler or intruder; After all, you have announced (so to speak) your intent to shoot the person if you encounter him/her, so why wouldn't that person beat a hasty retreat. (Of course, this theory wouldn't apply to someone on PCP, crack, meth, heroin, etc., so I could see the fallacy in that case.)

Anyway, I'd like to hear your points of view on that issue.

Some years ago in S Fl I was sleeping and woke up to several people making noise outside my bedroom window.
I yelled out I was armed,ect.
It sounded like a stampede they moved so fast to get out of there.
I never got out of bed :)
Can't imagine announcing your intentions to someone in your house, spoken from a position of relative safety could hurt.
There will always be Murphy's Law however.

I still can't help thinking that the sound of a shotgun being loaded is going to be somewhat of a deterrent to a prowler or intruder

Seems to me the goal is to end the threat, whether perceived (determine what's going on first) or known (you know there is an intruder), without actually shooting someone?

So looking into noises puts an expedient end to a perceived threat, assuming you don't put yourself in greater danger if it turns out there is an intruder - depends on the situation I guess, how sure you are it's just the ice maker or the cat, how careful you are exploring, etc.

Locking yourself in a safe room and calling the cops is a threat mitigation, but doesn't end the ordeal any time soon, and could have bad consequences whether or not there actually is an intruder.

Racking a shotgun may well drive an intruder to run, if not then you still have huge advantages (you know the layout of your home, he does not). If there is no intruder, no harm done.

Laying quietly in an ambush until you have a clean opportunity to shoot the intruder might maximize the advantage, but also prolongs the ordeal and results in a shooting and possibly a dead person, which misses part of the goal. And if there is no intruder, you'll be laying there on-edge for a long time before you eventually fall back to exploring. On the other hand, if you know there is an intruder and he is coming looking for you, this might be the best option because it will come down to you vs. him.

Just seems to me it's not very cut-and-dry, and there's probably no single "best" strategy.

JeffK said:
....assuming you don't put yourself in greater danger if it turns out there is an intruder - depends on the situation I guess, how sure you are it's just the ice maker or the cat, how careful you are exploring, etc....
Please understand clearly the if there is an intruder there is no way to "go exploring" carefully enough so that he will not have a significant advantage. The ensconced adversary always has the advantage. Whoever is waiting for whom always has the advantage.

...depends on the situation I guess, how sure you are it's just the ice maker or the cat, how careful you are exploring, etc.
Should anyone choose to question the expert advice that has been provided here and in the links provided, Smith I suggest the following.

Find two other persons and three Airsoft guns. Pay the other two every time they shoot you.

Have at it. Go exploring. Try it several times.

Let us know the results.

frank ettin said:
Do what you've got to do. But there is an overarching, inescapable reality:

If you go exploring when you think there might be a bad guy, and there is, he has a significant advantage. And there's an excellent chance things won't end well for you. (And if you're sure it was the ice-maker, why'd you take your gun?)

Here's another overarching inescapable reality:

If you hunker down and call the cops every single time that you hear a small noise that you can't readily explain, it won't be very long before it takes a VERY long time for the cops to get there. Something to do with some old fable about "crying wolf" if I remember correctly.

I was a deputy sheriff for 8 years. Our 911 dispatchers had a small number of "regular" callers who were nothing but a nuisance, although you have to check them out every time anyway. As I said earlier, once you qualify for the "nuisance" category don't be surprised when your police response times increase dramatically.

Up to you to decide how much responsibility for your family that you can handle yourself, and when you call for help. Everyone has to make their own decision.

Posted by 45_auto: If you hunker down and call the cops every single time that you hear a small noise that you can't readily explain,...
Why would anyone think that Frank is recommending that?

As I said earlier, once you qualify for the "nuisance" category...
And my response at the time was to read the links in Post #12.

Up to you to decide how much responsibility for your family that you can handle yourself, and when you call for help. Everyone has to make their own decision.
Yep, and the informed decision maker will not traipse around with gun in hand looking for an invader.

Should anyone choose to question the expert advice that has been provided here and in the links provided, Smith I suggest the following.

Find two other persons and three Airsoft guns. Pay the other two every time they shoot you.

Have at it. Go exploring. Try it several times.

Not relevant, but could be fun. I guess you did not read my post, nor provide an alternative except "hunker down and call the cops", but that's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back