H&R SPORTSMAN Research

you know I need another 22 revolver like I need a another hole in my head... but I'm driven by some unknown force to buy top break guns...

:mad: just added another model to my want list...;)

photos

DSCN1121.jpg

DSCN1119.jpg

DSCN1114.jpg

first off all I apologize for the poor quality of the pictures, def not talented in that dept.
anyway inspection slip reads serial # 32953 while the gun is #32951

Flatcat,
Well, can't ask for more confirmation than that!!!!
Frame was made in1935-'36 period - gun was finish assembled in 1944 (May of) - this confirms what I've been leaning towards for the past couple months since the research info has been coming my way - H&R stockpiled a bunch of numbered frames back in the 30K and 40K (1935-'36, perhaps early 1937) time period (for what ever reason) but did not make finished pieces with them until the need arose. Obviously, this makes dating the SPORTSMAN series guns difficult as the serial numbers don't always follow a logical sequence. The various attributes, stampings on barrel and cylinder, hammer shape, firing pin location, etc. etc. - seem to be the main and probably only way to actually place a date of manufacture on the guns. This now proven FACT "screws" up the known or, more correctly, assumed serial number ranges associated with the known variational changes. ALSO - your gun being assembled during the height of the war years makes it RARE and potentially valuable to a collector. Very few SPORTSMAN pieces are known with the correct alphabetical prefixes (C - 1942, D - 1943, E - 1944, F - 1945) for the war years and if your gun's frame/receiver was made then it would have been serialed with an 'E' prefix and probably a four or five digit numeric. WITHOUT the dated inspection slip - your gun would have been considered a run-of-the-mil 1936 piece with a couple anomalies. That inspection slip is a missing link in the research arena.
Thank you very much for sharing and for weathering the barrage of questions and requests I hit you with. I hope you understand how important (at least to me and a couple other H&R researchers) your piece and provenancial evidence is.
With your permission, I would like to add your photos to my research files???
Jim

My Model 999 Sportsman

Magnum 32,
Here are pics of my Sportsmam, I hope. It was made in Gardner, Mass. six inch vented rib barrel, front sight adjustable for elevation, rear sight adjustable for windage. It is double action, wood grips. I was unable to post the pics so the attachments are there.

I have a problem maybe you could help me with. I cannot remove the cylinder. The little release at the front left side of the frame does not seem to operate. I can depress it with some force but cannot get it to release the cylinder. Any advice?
Mickey

Attachments

• H & R Model 999 Sportsman 2.jpg
    H & R Model 999 Sportsman 2.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 78
  • H & R Model 999 Sportsman D-A.jpg
    H & R Model 999 Sportsman D-A.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
my model 999 sportsman

sn/ ah39181
firing pin on hammer
no safety rim
cylinder release small button
address on side H&R inc. Worc. Mass. u.s.a.
dual action
fixed pinned front sight

Sawdr73,
Without the serial number letter "prefix" - all I can tell you is that your have a 3rd Model with transfer bar safety and ignition system - made in 1973 up to very early 1986.
If the spring with button cylinder release doesn't release the cylinder, first try opening the barrel all the way until the extractor snaps back/retracts - the try it.
If that doesn't work, then open the barrel all the way then you'll need to pull the old catch release loose from the frame, using a dental pic, or similar sharp pointy object. It is made of springy metal with a small hook at the cylinder end, that catches on a flange inside the cylinder bushing and a long tail at the other end that fits into a recess along the arbor, and with the "button" about 3/4s of the way towards the cylinder end. You may be able to pull the button up far enough to add enough flex to push down on the hook and release the cylinder, if not pull the whole dang thing out and buy another one from Numrich/GPC.

I have been pretty stumped trying to figure out what model this H&R 9 shot, top break revolver, in 22 Long Rifle actually is. On the left side of the barrel it says: H&R "SPORTSMAN" and right underneath that it says SINGLE ACTION
On the right side of the barrel it says 22 Long Rifle CTG.

It's not a Model 999 from what information I have been able to find, at least I think not. I have been told that it could be a Model 199. There is no model # that I can find anywhere on this handgun, unless it was just called a Sportsman Single Action?

1. Serial Number: S31XX If you need the full serial #, I can send it to you via private message.
2. Firing pin mounted in frame
3. Not sure what you mean by safety rim on cylinder. When you place rounds in the cylinder, they sit below the surface of a rim around the outer diameter of the cylinder (is that the safety rim?). On the cylinder it has PAT. NO. 1904730
4. Cylinder release: 1" long lever on right side
5. Location of Manufacturer's address - on top of barrel -
HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS CO.
WORCESTER, MASS. U.S.A

6. SA
7. Adjustable front sight with small screw at end of barrel

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

HPIM0789.jpg

HPIM0788.jpg

HPIM0787.jpg

HPIM0785.jpg

Last edited:
Range Rider 13,
You have a very nice example of the SINGLE ACTION SPORTSMAN Model 199.
Yours is a fairly early piece, a 2nd Variation made in mid to late 1933.
The patented "SAFETY RIM" is what you see on the cylinder. It was intended to prevent blow out when case head separations occured - something which seems to have happened often at the time most of the major manufacturers began producing all smokeless powder High Speed 22 long rifle cartridges in the late 1920s and early 1930s.
You have a very nice example and it is a collectible.

Bill,
The info about your gun DOES certainly help - not much available about the 199s from any time period. I have a few in my collection.
If you would be so kind, please PM the full serial number. Thanks for thanking.

h&r sportsman

hi i just acquired a h&r sportsman single action
22lr
serial s1346x
sportsman and single action on left side
firing pin in frame
front and rear sight adjustable
any clues on year

maxcat,
Expert Jim Hauff is out of commission for the time being.
I am no expert but I can help a little.
Your single Action sportsman was produced somewhere in the mid 30's.
For sure before 1940. Best I can do, sorry I 'm not more help.
Jim

1. D5095 stamped on front of grip (frame), left side of grip (frame), underside of barrel (where pin holding rear sight is....right side), left side of trigger guard, and on the cylinder reads 095 (rear) also 095 stamped on extractor

2. frame mounted

3. "Pat No. 190" on cylinder Can't tell if there's more as pitting is severe.........does have the safety rim

4. 1" long lever right side

5. Address is on top of barrel

6. DA/SA (might I add, nicest trigger job I've ever felt....think and it goes off......100% drop safe)

7. Adjustable front sight

I'm havin hell trying to find a firing pin for this gun (it's definately 3/16" longer than the one I got for a model 999.........any words of advice? Yes I been throughout Numrich twice...order'd stuff for a different .22 revolver and wanted to make it work....no dice....gonna have my gunsmith make one if you guys have no ideas

I hope Jim Hauff is healthy and well, thanks in advance

Last edited:
Another data point for anyone interested

1. Serial Number C58x
2. Firing pin on hammer
3. Safety rim on cylinder? Yes. I see no markings on the gun stating "patent number," but the numbers marked on the cylinder face look like 587 and 5870.
4. Cylinder release: small push button on left side of frame right in front of cylinder.
5. Location of Manufacturer's address: on right side.
6. Double Action
7. Adjustable front sight pinned in place with a set screw visible from the muzzle end.

Additional: one piece grip

Side note: I found US patent US1904730A, which appears to be the patent for the safety rim. Link

Last edited:
Back