H&R SPORTSMAN Research

thunderbolt,
You're welcome. Glad to have added to your confusion. I post on a "few" other forums/gun sites and am gathering information from them also. I worked with Bill Goforth for 15 years on H&R firearms, before his untimely death back in Jan. of this year. I own 35 Sportsman examples that span the production range 1932 - 1999. The hardware was confusing enough, now with the research data coming in - the picture is even murkier. As I posted in response to you initial posting - I'm beginning to think that the serial numbers were not used in sequential order. Need more info, of course - what's published in the Blue Book (I'm a contributing editor for H&R firearms) is a compendium of info that seems or seemed to make sense at one time. When putting info together for a published source - some order must be assumed - that may not, always, be the case in reality. Time will tell, and more research is definitely indicated as necessary with this increasingly more popular and collectible model.
Thanks again.

Just signed up to forum, to give you my Model 199 info

Here is the info for my H&R Sportsman, My son and I enjoy this gun, and I have enjoyed reading the information that you have all posted, Thank You 32 magnum!!!!
I think 1937, from everything I have read, so lets see how I did???

1. Serial Number (partials are welcome, but entire numbers will help more)?
S154XX
2. Firing pin on hammer or mounted in frame?
Hammer
3. Safety rim on cylinder? PATENT APPLIED FOR; one patent number; two patent numbers?
Yes Rim, 2 patent #s
4. Cylinder release: 1" long lever on right side -or- small push button on left side of frame right in front of cylinder.
1" long lever on right side
5. Location of Manufacturer's address - on top of barrel -or- on right side?
6. DA or SA?
SA
7. Adjustable or fixed front sight? If fixed - soldered in slot or pinned in slot?
Adjustable

Wallycroc,
Thanks for the info and thanks for the kind words.
Your SINGLE ACTION SPORTSMAN, with two patent numbers on the cylinder was made after March of 1936. There is some inference that the hammer mounted firing pin was first used sometime in 1937. From my current data this change occured somewhere between s/n S14300 (one patent number on cylinder) and your piece with the s/n S154xx (two patent numbers). - My best guess from the current data is that your gun was made in early 1937.

H&R Sportsmen Research

Thank You 32 Magnum.
I appreciate the information.
If i was to ever sell it , what do you think is a fair price for both buyer and seller.
Condition is really good, bluing is scuffed the size of a dime near the end of the barrel, and very superficial scuffs on the cylinder. original wood handles in great condition.
Thank You Again

Walley,
Right now, in the current market - RETAIL value for one of those in "average" (80% to 90% finish, good wood and everything works) will fall in the $275 to $325 range. Private sales are only good deals when both parties think they cheated the other guy. LOL
You're welcome, glad to help out and thanks for thanking.

OK, I'll play.....

I have a 6" vent rib barrel sportsman 999 (about 98% condition)

1) serial # AN939xx ( sorry, not comfortable giving out whole number)
2) firing pin is in frame w/ transfer bar
3) has safety rim on cylinder, no patent info anywhere
4) cylinder release is small button on left side of frame infront of cylinder
5) address on left side of frame " H&R INC. GARDNER, MASS. USA
6) DA
7) adjustable front sight with screw

They're unique guns because of the 9 shot, top break ( like a miniature Scholfield). probably never part with mine for those reasons but its not very accurate past about 10 yards.....but its a "fun" gun

Last edited:
Jim-- Here's one of mine--

DSC00048.jpg

Serial # S 147XX
Address top of barrel
Adjustable front sight
One patent date on cylinder
Checkered walnut grips
Frame-mounted firing pin
Partially-checkered cylinder release on right side
**Mint condition**

Tim

Red Eye,
Thanks for the info. Your piece was made in 1975 (the 'AN' letter prefix.) It sounds to be the norm for that period.
Look at the muzzle of your gun - in the front face of the barrel 'rib', just below the front sight slot - there should be a small screw. That screw is used to change/adjust the height of the front sight to adjust POI using different bullet weights and brands. If there is NO screw there - please let me know - also barrel length would be good to know.
Your gun should have a "vented rib" barrel - milled all the way through???
see pics attached at post #28.

Last edited:
BlackAgnes,
Your SINGLE ACTION SPORTSMAN Model 199 was made in 1936, probably fairly late. The change from frame mounted firing pin to hammer mounted firing pin happened sometime between your gun (sn 147xx) and s/n 154xx (another partial) - it would be great for the research to have at least one more digit of your s/n, if not the entire s/n - as this change resulted in the end of the 3rd Variation (which yours is) and the beginning of the 4th Variation (which 154xx is.) These are only, potentially, as many as 700+ pieces apart - so close to determining the change-over point - but still so far away. Research with incomplete data is maddening. Your piece may turn out to be the LAST of the 3rd Variation.
Anyway, thanks for the information!

Last edited:
I have the 6" vented barrel ( milled all the way thru) and I DO have the adjusting screw at the end of the barrel to change the height of the front sight ( I did already know what that was for).

thanks for the info .......

Ok here we go.
Serial #32951
double action only
has smoke cuts
don't know what a safety ring is
front sight height adjustable
inspection slip in box shows inspected by w.c. And a date of may 23 1944

Flatcat,
Looks like inspector W. C. was around the plant for awhile, and trained in multiple departments.:D
Here is the inspection sheet from my pair of H&R handcuffs.
Just thought it was kind of :cool:!

cuffs1.jpg

I'll have to dig my H&R out of the safe and snap a picture of it.
It's the D/A, .22/.22mag convertible that has the loading gate, not a swing out cylinder.

Very, very,very sweet S/A trigger.
Horrid and unusable D/A,,,but,,,sweet, sweet single.

Regretably, I dry fired the gun w/the .22lr cylinder & ruined it.

The .22mag cylinder is ok and works 100%.
The downside is that the .22mag isn't as accurate due to it's size.

Hal,
FYI,
Your lr cylinder may not be ruined, Brownells makes an ironing tool that will "move" the metal back into place, that is, as long as you didn't file it or grind it away.
Jim

Ok here we go.
Serial #32951
double action only
has smoke cuts
don't know what a safety ring is
front sight height adjustable
inspection slip in box shows inspected by w.c. And a date of may 23 1944

Flatcat - Is this gun a SPORTSMAN? From all the records and data I currently have - a SPORTSMAN with that serial number should have been made around 1936 or so.
Can you provide a picture? -or- at least post all the stampings found on the barrel, top, both sides and where you find them. This may be a break-through in evaluating dates and serial numbers.
IMG_4741_2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4741.jpg
    IMG_4741.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 50
left side of the barrel is marked H&R SPORTSMAN and double action

top of barrel is marked HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS CO.
WORCHESTER MASS. USA

right side is marked 22 long rifle ctg

no 999 markings anywhere.

Flatcat,
Thanks for the confirmation - now, if you don't mind, a couple more questions that I should have asked before: Does the inspection slip indicate that it is for a SPORTSMAN with that serial number? (Is there a letter prefix to the serial number stamped into the underside of the top strap? - stamped into the front strap?)
Please check the cylinder for PATENT numbers stamped into it - may be one, may be two or there may be none.
The cylinder should have a raised rim around the end where you insert the cartridges - that would be the "safety rim".
If all this checks out - it helps confirm a suspicion that I've been forming for the past couple months as the research info has been coming in from folks like you.

Thanks for your help.

32 Magnum,

slip shows model as a sportsman
no markings on the cylinder
no prefix before the serial number
yes on the safety rim
and the firing pin is on the hammer.

I'll try to get some photos posted

Back