H&R SPORTSMAN Research

32 Magnum

Member In Memoriam
It has become apparent, recently, that there are some holes in the H&R SPORTSMAN history and development both in the Double Action 999 and the Single Action 199. More research is warranted to fill in those holes. IF you own any H&R SPORTSMAN and would like to contribute to the research, I would appreciate the following information (pics would be a great asset):
1. Serial Number (partials are welcome, but entire numbers will help more)?
2. Firing pin on hammer or mounted in frame?
3. Safety rim on cylinder? PATENT APPLIED FOR; one patent number; two patent numbers?
4. Cylinder release: 1" long lever on right side -or- small push button on left side of frame right in front of cylinder.
5. Location of Manufacturer's address - on top of barrel -or- on right side?
6. DA or SA?
7. Adjustable or fixed front sight? If fixed - soldered in slot or pinned in slot?

Thanks in advance. I'll provide era of manufacture and Model and Variation determination for your SPORTSMAN.

Howdy

Here are some pictures of my Sportsman 999. I inherited this gun about 4-5 years ago. I can send you the serial # if it helps. The firing pin is on the frame, it has a safety rim, adjustable sites and the gun was made in Gardner Mass.
I hope this helps.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 9shot.JPG
    9shot.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 1,378
  • CloseLeft.JPG
    CloseLeft.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 1,386
  • CloseRight.JPG
    CloseRight.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 1,386
Skidder,
Thanks for the info - serial number is important - your gun looks to be a 1973 or newer variation - s/n should have two letter prefix starting at 'AL' and going from there? Also, it should have the transfer bar safety/ignition system?:confused:
p.s. NICE pics!:)

I'm sending you the serial # and yes I believe it does have the transfer dealy-bob. I would appreciate it if you could tell me the year it was made.

Thanks

A friend has a 999, and is unuasal as it has...

a integral key-lock in the bottom of the grip.
Recall it has the c'bore cylinder but think it has the FP on the hammer???

AND do not forget to differentiate between guns with the smokecuts and those without.
MY personal M999 is the final prototype of the final incarnation of the M999 pistols. It is also the most accurate 22 revolver I've ever shot.
The final guns HAD the smokecuts.

jrothWA,
I've not heard of the key lock being used on the 999 - very interesting. Are you sure he doesn't have the Model 939?? Any further info - confirming or denying lock will be very helpful - along with serial number (full or partial).
Jim

WIL TERRY,
You have my full attention. Would you please share the details of your "prototype"? I have a few H&R protos, but not one of the SPORTSMAN series pieces. Got pictures??? I'm dying to see them if you do.
Any special markings on the gun - my other prototypes have R + D and number stampings on them????
Feel free to e-mail me at: bobell01@aol.com if you prefer. (that 'ZERO one' not 'OH one') thanks,
Jim Hauff

Sorry, .32Mag it's a...

929, he has.

He removed the key parts after having the hammer lock-up due to wear, but has all parts still to this day.

jRothWA,
DANG,:mad: thought we had found another "unknown" variation. Been a couple UNK H&Rs showing up lately on the "boards" - thought this would continue the streak. :)

I really want one of those,,,

It's on my "Look For" list,,,
Every time I go to a gun show.

They may not be the best shooters around,,,
But there is something elegant about a top-break revolver.

I want one in my collection someday.

Aarond

aarondhgraham,
When you get the resources together and attempt to find a suitable SPORTSMAN - I suggest you look at the pre-WW2 variations. I AM SURE you will be surprised at the accuracy, the fit and finish and the mechanical surety of those pieces - so long as they haven't been shot out or to pieces they are truly remarkable accurate and have very crisp TARGET type trigger/actions - especially the Model 199 SA. If you should be so luck as to run across one of the Model 777 ULTRA-SPORTSMAN examples (approx. 1000 made in 1938 to early 1939, or a Model 196 EUREKA SPORTSMAN (approx 380 made in 1939) - both are single action guns made specifically for USRA Bull's Eye Competition - you will swear by it as the most accurate and crisp .22 revolver you've ever shot. At least that's what most of the expert competitors of that time frame thought.
IMG_0270_2.jpg

IMG_0278_2.jpg

Hello 32 Magnum,,,

In one way you are very correct,,,
Almost all of the H&R revolvers I've handled,,,
Were in, how shall I put this, less than perfect condition.

But I still want a 4" top-break very badly,,,
I have the resources but just haven't found a nice one.

Way back when,,,
My uncle had the one where you had to remove the cylinder to load it.

I was a real little kid,,,
I couldn't hold that long barrel straight,,,
But my uncle could pop bunny rabbits on the run with it.

I'll find me one eventually,,,
And thanks for the info on the pre WW-II models.

Aarond

OK, I'll play. For my own 6" Sportsman (I assume a Model 999 though it is not marked as such):

P41xx (number found on bottom of gripframe)

Firing pin mounted on hammer

3. Safety rim on cylinder? PATENT APPLIED FOR; one patent number; two patent numbers?

Safety rim is present on cylinder, but I can find no marking regarding patent numbers.

4. Cylinder release: 1" long lever on right side -or- small push button on left side of frame right in front of cylinder.

Small push button on left side of frame

Address listed as "Worcester, Mass., U.S.A." on right side of barrel

6. DA or SA?

DA

7. Adjustable or fixed front sight? If fixed - soldered in slot or pinned in slot?

Adjustable (rear is adjustable for windage and front for elevation).

do not forget to differentiate between guns with the smokecuts and those without.

I assume "smokecuts" are the scalloped out areas in the barrel rib shown in skidder's pics. My revolver lacks this feature.

WebleyMkV,
Thanks for contributing!
Your piece was made in 1954 and is a 2nd Model.
The "smoke cuts" were discontinued when the frames were redesigned for the 1953 ('N') NEW model introduction. This was the year that H&R switched their "Rice" type frames with the bird's head shaped grip frame and one piece monogrip to the square butt (or short rounded butt on the 2 1/2" barrel models) with two grip panels. From that year on, the "forcing cone" was merely a bore through the blocky end of the barrel.

STILL looking for more research data on the H&R SPORTSMAN series revolvers. I'm starting to see some "trends" but need more data to develop a more complete picture.
Would appreciate the following information (pics would be a great asset):
6. DA or SA?

I have a 6'' Sportsman 999, here's your info
1. serial # BA032053
2. firing pin in frame
3. has safety rim on cylinder - no patent info anywhere
4. cylinder relase is small push button
5. address in on left side of frame, "H&R Inc Gardiner Mass USA"
6. DA
7. fixed front sight pinned in slot

has smoke cut 6" barrel, nice checkered walnut grip panels :)

Back