H&R Handi-rifle

i thought marlin was going downhill for awhile before the remmy thing anyway. seems to be a unpopular opinion anyway. the budget rifles killed the handi. why would you buy a single shot when you could have a bolt action repeater like a axis, or ruger american for almost the same cost? before that they lost sales to the stevens 200 and mossberg budget guns.

I just like the H&R, combination of handling and balance and carry weight with simple operation. I just liked it and not looking for a cheep gun. Maybe the first H&R was for price. My first shotgun was a Browning Auto 5 that set me back $200 back when that was real money. I later got an H&R shotgun to carry in my trunk for spur of the moment hunting. Surprise! I did better with the (?) $50 H&R than my 4x the cost fancy gloss semi-auto. The rifles are nice for the same reason. Call it an acquired taste. I never care for barrel swapping, when a whole new gun was so little cost. My first 28ga was an impulse curiosity H&R buy. That is a great little shell, so; later I got a nicer double. I still love that little 28 and use it quite a lot. H&R also made great little 20 slug gun with a leupold compact scope. The gun, merits the scope.

Thats why.

no doubt those h&rs put alot of meat on many tables back in the day. they just got lost in the ongoing change. heck was gun i shot was a h&r 410. wish i still had the gun

attachment.php

I have rifles that cost thousands, yet bring me no pleasure.

But my $100 45/70 handi rifle, with wimpy loadings, has been a lot of fun for 15 years.

I've had the NEF Handis, a Rossi, and T/C Encores, and my problem with all of them with high-pressure rounds is cases that stick in the chamber, and the ejector won't eject them. Then your day is over if you don't have a ramrod.

Be careful with the Ruger American Rifle - handle before you buy- the mag falls out if a stiff breeze blows.

I have two of these rifles and I can't complain. The reason they went extinct? Safe to say profit and competition. Not many would pay the same for a break action single as they would a bolt gun. Then they also have to compete with themselves on the used market. They can be had used for $200ish usually. A new one was about 50% more. Then there's the whole freedom group thing. Heres my theory, ford killed the ranger for slowing sales and to enhance f150 sales. They wanted to sell more of the f150 and keep it on top. So they killed off their own cheaper alternative. Freedom group killed NEF to up the sales of their other guns. Most people didn't care about their guns since their only guns they made anymore were singles. By killing off NEF it increases sells of their other stuff. Basically getting rid of something they don't care about to embrace their favorites.

Look into Mossberg MVP in .308. Or Savage Hog hunter in same caliber for a gun with irons.

Ruger American is a solid buy as mentioned by others. Mossberg makes 100 ATR too which is their budget offering. Marlin X7 is another great low budget option, supposedly the best budget offering out there.

For a brush gun they make the handi rifle in .300 BLK, now that's a brush cal.

I cannot agree that this gun was discontinued due to demand when I now see both CVA and Rossi building equivalent guns. The Rossi looking like another unabashed knockoff of an American classic. I guess we (H&R fans)should be flattered that the H&R is now elevated to the same status as the 1892 Winchester and merits copies from Rossi. Who next Uberti? I also believe that Winchester, if properly managed, would have offered an 1892 back when they were an American company. I give credit to current Winchester for doing right by the product line. Freedom Group is the kiss of death. I suppose the H&R brand will never get sold to some maker who understands the product. Heck, 1/2 the customers dont even get it.

It is not about BUDGET or CHEEP, this was a special gun.

I do agree, the quality was up there with guns costing double. That's not the point though, they were also better in every way. Shorter and lighter means everything after carrying a rifle from sunrise to sunset. Can't get ant simpler either, no need for a repeater, all that's needed is the simple break action. And nothing beats the cool factor of the ejector.

Are CVA & Rossi guns built in America, with the same production cost structure?

Guys- people will always tend to believe a favorite theory, despite any actual facts involved.

I gave you the story from the people who made the H&R guns.
Take it or leave it.
If you know more about it than they do, fine by me. :)
Denis

Back