H&R Handi-rifle

H&R Handi. Rifle WhiteTailUnlimited

I had a H&R single shot.It was a 45/70,22 inch barrel,with a Bushnell 2X7 scope.This was a White Tails Unlimied made in 1997. It had a medal disk inletted in the butt stock.This had a walnut stock,not often seen on Handi Rifles.I also had a 30/30 also a White Tail Unlimeted.Unfortunetely I sold them.I was looking at GUNBROKER and saw a auction showing this same gun.I WON the auction.It shows some use,but it has a fine barrel. Lazer Cast bullets 350gr will what I will reload.I had die,s and RL7 and IMR 4198 these were from a Marlin 1895 I once had.I can,t wait to try them on loaded to about 1500--1600FPS.

NEF SB2

I bought a 25-06 Handy and every few shots the case rim would jam on top of the ejector so that ya had to pry the empty case out.I took it back and they gave another one,that one did the same thing.They gave me my money back. hdbiker

Kindly catch the spirit of what I'm asking !!!

Will the Handy-Rifle and 1871 buffalo classic interchange on barrels? Currently a friend of mine has 45/70 for sale and I'm wondering if others barrels might fit. Thanks for your attention and reply.. .... :)

Be Safe !!!

My AAC Handi rifle is the neatest thing since sliced bread ! I restocked the short 300 Blackout rifle with a camo full length set, added a luminated Bushnell 1x4 scope and shot a bunch of Texas hogs including one that went over 350#. One 125 gr 300 BO round through the left shoulder and his bell had been rung. The AAC came with a 16" 1x7 twist barrel threaded for the added flash hider. It sits proudly in the rack next to a $1000+ Ruger Scout .223.

First rifle I ever bought in 1978 was a straight gripped H&R 058 in 22 Hornet. Paid well less than $100.00 and had more fun with that little rifle! A few years latter I shot my first deer with another H&R in 30-30, both guns long gone and sorely missed.:(

It's the Ruger American & the Savage Axis that killed off the Handi-Rifle.

As mentioned above, pricing is low & accuracy is high on those, eliminating any budgetary reason to go with a single-shot for too many people.

The Handi couldn't compete, H&R couldn't make enough profit to keep the guns going.
Denis

ive played with a few handi's, they can be hit or miss. There are some diy things you can do to them to help the accuracy....like put a rubber washer between the barrel and the foregrip to float the barrel, that did seem to help the accuracy on a 308 i had.

in the end i sold off my handi's, im pretty picky about my triggers and none of the ones i owned had one i could live with...especially with so many really good lower end bolt action rifles coming out these days with adj triggers like the savage, etc. I got a deal on a ruger american and never looked back, much better gun imo for almost the same money

I inherited one from my brother a few years ago. He had barrels in .243, 30-30, and .44 Mag. Guess he couldn't decide which to shoot at deer, and solved that by buying 3. I am told there are some tricks, like taking a bit off the forearm to minimize contact and shimming the screw, that will improve accuracy. I haven't bothered, but I sold the .243 bbl to a guy that knew how to work them. He was confident he could get 1 1/2" or better at 100. My brother killed a doe with the .44 bbl, and it certainly did the job. I run mainly the .44 bbl, as we are now allowed pistol caliber rifles for deer on OH - IO. A max load of H110 under a 240 Hornady XTP goes over 1,800, and it puts them in anywhere from 1 1/2" to 3" at 100 depending on the phase of the moon. Trigger is not awful. Brush gun? That's what I'd recommend. Good to 150 yd, in my opinion. Second choice is the 30-30.

PS: The Ruger American has been mentioned. I got one in .243, and it's a lot of rifle for the money. Might be a better choice than the old HR.

Franken, Maybe the initial post was several years ago but there are enough current responses to revive it, particularly now that H&R is defunct and those of us who have one now can share info as the factory is no longer interested. Through the years i have had several in .223 ( they definitely are .223 and not 5.56) and still have one in 45/70 and 300 Blackout which are proven Texas hog killers. So anyway i am saddened at the attitude of the outfit that hhas purchased so many companies and then closed their doors and eliminate competition.

It wasn't an attitude, it was a practical business reality.
They made the guns as cheap as they could toward the end & still just could not make a profit on 'em.
Denis

Franken, Maybe the initial post was several years ago but there are enough current responses to revive it, particularly now that H&R is defunct and those of us who have one now can share info as the factory is no longer interested. Through the years i have had several in .223 ( they definitely are .223 and not 5.56) and still have one in 45/70 and 300 Blackout which are proven Texas hog killers.
H&R is not defunct.
Only the single-shot line was discontinued.

There are better ways to discuss the rifles - generally a new thread with a title indicating the intended discussion being the best option.

I, too, own a Handi-Rifle. It has one elk (using my own swaged bullet) and quite a few birds (using home brew shot shells) under its belt. I plan to keep it until it wears out.
But, it's still a low grade rifle, built by an ailing company under the direction of a greedy conglomerate. -It's a Remlin.
Fit and finish suck. Quality is unimpressive. Durability is questionable (too many plastic parts). And my stocks were finished with a WATER BASED 'sealer'. Water based!! :eek:

Well it is obvious objectivity is not included in some of the responses so perhaps it is time to shut down the thread. My "low grade rifle" is still a lot of fun to shoot and take "high grade" Texas hogs with and i am quite sure it will out last my dwindling days on Earth. Bye!

I would have liked my 300 BLK Handi but the lack of iron sights and the lack of affordable low powered optics that work (4x etc) made it an overly "cumbersome" (I guess, the presence of scope made it look weird and handle oddly, plus the hammer spur was difficult to manipulate with a scope) rifle for how short and light it was. If it has a nice peep sight or a good set of leaf sights it would have been perfect. Trying to find someone to sell it to, now.

Ibmikey said:
Well it is obvious objectivity is not included in some of the responses so perhaps it is time to shut down the thread. My "low grade rifle" is still a lot of fun to shoot and take "high grade" Texas hogs with and i am quite sure it will out last my dwindling days on Earth. Bye!
I didn't say yours was low grade.
I said mine was low grade.

Some older H&Rs and NEFs were/are very nice, and well built long guns. There are several that I'd really like to obtain.

The recent (post-buyout) examples, however.... :rolleyes:
I was not surprised to see them go. It doesn't upset me, either.
The product quality was getting lower and lower, and no longer worth the investment. Honestly, I'm surprised that H&R/Remington/Freedom Group didn't kill the model line in 2010, when CVA took a big bite out of the Handi-Rifle sales (with a comparable rifle, but superior barrel and build quality, and lower price).

They made the Handi progressively cheaper & cheaper toward the end, to keep pricing down & competitive with the boltguns mentioned.
They decided they couldn't cheapen it any further, and at that point pulled the plug.
Denis

FYI, there were a couple of used single shot rifles of some flavor at Cabelas in Allen on Thursday. They both had rails without sights. I couldn't read the writing on the guns. I had left my prescription shades on and decided to take them off rather than look like an idiot wearing sunglasses inside.

Back