Guns that invite ridicule....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Pahoo.
In keeping with the spirit of this thread. ......
"What firearms would you be embarrassed to be "seen" with by others, even though you may not be ridiculed?"
In my case, a couple of decades ago, I was looking for a 22 rmfire that would most closely match a Winchester model 70 in function, size, and weight. It was all about endless cheap practice that would directly carry over to the Winchester. And I was successful in my quest, but not without some compromise. I ended up with a Ruger 7722 Varmint because it had the longer barrel and heavier weight of a center-fire rifle. The dark stainless is just acceptable, but I'm ashamed to say that it doesn't have a Walnut stock. My brother ridicules me for its, "plywood ", stock. And I richly deserve the ridicule:o It's the one time I have owned a rifle without a Walnut stock. I just have to grin and bear the embarrassment. Oh, the chagrin!

But Pahoo, what was it about the mac-10 that made you embarrassed about being seen with one? One time I was on the receiving end of one in full auto and I gotta tell you it was rather impressive. In Sneakey's case, I thing he is just enamored on the possibility that he might be able to control someone or some thing. No offense Sneakey.

Guns that invite ridicule....

Any homemade stipple job on a Glock. No, I wont give you $500 in trade because you spent six hours with a soldering iron customizing your now ruined Glock.

Same with Dremeled guns.

Any hydrodipped handgun with skulls, zombies or other "art".

The Springfield XD that the customer bought because he wanted an American made gun, not a Glock. Hilarity ensued when his buddy pointed out the "Made in Croatia" on the frame. (not to mention some Glocks are manufactured in Georgia)

Same with guys who buy Browning shotguns, always surprised by "Made in Japan".

USFA Zip22 One of the dumbest ideas, horribly executed and just plain stupid design.

The Judge, The Governor or any revolver firing .410 shotshells. First, huge. Second, iffin your life depends on this revolver, load it with .45 Colt not .410 buck, slugs or shot. Thirdly, snakes. If you need to kill a snake in your yard, kill it like a grown man. Use a stick, a hoe, or a shovel, ,not a gun. Shooting a gun into the ground on purpose is never a good idea.

"Battle worn" finishes- Really? You paid extra for a new gun painted to look like its used?

"Offensive handguns"- I'm talking about you HK Mk23. Who in their right...oh never mind.

Purple, Hot Pink, Tiffany Blue, Raspberry, Urban Gray, Flat Dark Earth, Olive Drab, Foliage Green, or Mossy Oak camo dont bother me one bit. What does bother me are the guys who get upset when their FDE Magpul mags, grips or stock aren't a perfect match to the exact shade of FDE on their gun.

"Being seen with one"

But Pahoo, what was it about the mac-10 that made you embarrassed about being seen with one?
Just about ever aspect of what a firearm should have. You hear folk talk about KelTeks being made in someone's basement. This one didn't even make the garage. .... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

Funny-Gun-Phone-Poster.jpg

I will have to agree that the S&W 1911 pictured is pretty ratty. The engraving is all laser machine engraving, and the pattern sucks.
Trying to imitate hand engraving with a laser always looks wrong.

1) AR pistols.
2) AK pistols.
3) Bump stocks.

The above are for people that have more money than brains, in my opinion. Zero practicality. I'll defend your right to own them, but all they do is waste ammo and make noise. :p

Mike38 1) AR pistols.
2) AK pistols.
3) Bump stocks.

The above are for people that have more money than brains, in my opinion. Zero practicality.
Nearly every customer who I transfer an AR or AK pistol to says they intend to install an "arm brace". Thereby being able to "shoulder" it, avoiding the $200 federal tax stamp for an SBR.

And SBR's sure as heck beat a 16"bbl.:D

I’m about ready to ridicule this thread... lol jk.

I’ve learned to love AR pistols, but I did ridicule them In the past. (Actually I ridiculed ARs for a bit).

I built the first one when parts were cheap and already had the AR rifles that I wanted. So I figured “why not?”
I first built a 10” 5.56 pistol... I liked shooting it, it was a hoot. I found the whole stock thing unnecessary, as you can shoot it well with a good cheek-weld on the tube.
However, the 5.56 muzzle blast and noise was a deal-breaker to me.
I dismantled the upper, threw the barrel in the parts bin and used the upper receiver for a 6.8 rifle build.
I still liked the fun and ease of shooting an AR pistol, so I built a 10.5” 300aac upper from scratch, added a great POF trigger to the pistol lower, and away I went.

The 300AAC pistol is now my favorite AR and it is the only one I’ve felt like wasting ammunition on for an afternoon shooting session during this current panic.

Long story short... I just don’t get the obsession with AR pistols with braces or the need for any kind of stock. You can shoot them just fine without putting anything to the shoulder. You merely need to develop a consistent cheek-weld, just like any other AR.

rickyrick ......Long story short... I just don’t get the obsession with AR pistols with braces or the need for any kind of stock. You can shoot them just fine without putting anything to the shoulder. You merely need to develop a consistent cheek-weld, just like any other AR.
"just fine" isn't good enough for me. I want a stock because I shoot rifles better with a stock. And I'll bet most others do as well.

Remember, getting a consistent cheek weld on a AR tube depends quite a bit on the users size. A 5'6" guy is going to be far more comfortable than a 6'1" shooter.

Your measure to make !!!

Again, staying on point; I have a hard time comprehending why some members of the firearm community, are so anti-AR and AK types. They are very open about bashing them. That's fine as they are entitled to their opinions. I ask them one question, would you support confiscation of this class of firearms. They actually hesitate and take time to answer. "Most" say they would not but surprisingly some say they would. I recall when Bill O'Riley in one of his shows, stated that these were "High-powered weapons of war" and had no place in private hands. ????

Be Safe !!!

just fine" isn't good enough for me. I want a stock because I shoot rifles better with a stock. And I'll bet most others do as well.

Remember, getting a consistent cheek weld on a AR tube depends quite a bit on the users size. A 5'6" guy is going to be far more comfortable than a 6'1" shooter.

I get your point on that, I can tell that many people don’t go through the trouble of finding sighting systems to fit them: sight height, proper eye relief and so on, but I imagine that some people just won’t be able to find an AR setup that fits them.

I’m average height, so I tend to forget that it is not as easy for some people to get comfortable with a gun like that.

I recall when Bill O'Riley in one of his shows, stated that these were "High-powered weapons of war" and had no place in private hands. ????

Be Safe !!!
When people say this I remind them that the bolt action rifle is/was a "high power weapon of war" in WWI and WWII. And before that, so was the lever action.

And how about shotguns?

Many modern hunting rifles are civilian versions of a firearm that was initially developed for military use. Mauser action anyone?

I have a hard time comprehending why some members of the firearm community, are so anti-AR and AK types. They are very open about bashing them.

I also find it interesting how the Browning BAR or Ruger Mini-14 do not elicit such opposition.

Last edited:
Ruger Mini-14

I disagree lol.

I got ridiculed at the Walmart I purchased the Mini14 at.
Some gun-counter clinging civilian told me that it is only effective on small rodents with a “derherher!” even! “You should buy a real gun!”

My old man didn't teach me everything I needed to know about life, but he did mention that the quickest way to get hurt was to make fun of another man's gun or his woman.

He said I didn't have to approve of either choice, but there was no sense in motivating another man to cause me harm.

Now, in keeping with full disclosure, I do own a Mossberg Shockwave. I don't know that the 4 ft. cottonmouth coming towards my little anchored boat last summer was ridiculing my gun, but his open mouth and likely intent to crawl into my boat with me was enough motivation for me to cause him harm! :cool:

The devil is always, in the details !!!

I also find it interesting how the Browning BAR or Ruger Mini-14 do not elicit such opposition.
May not be in their talking points but rest assured, it's on "their" list; along with others including the 10/22.!!!!

Be Safe !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back