Guns that invite ridicule....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do see guns that appear to have less merit.

I see some things that don't make sense to me.

Its one thing to keep your thoughts to yourself. Think whatever you want.

But to actually ridicule another man's gun??

IMO, thats a different sort of problem.

StinkeyPete

2. "Pistols" based on an AR receiver.

Assuming it is ok to ask in this thread; how else does one more effectively construct a quality pistol in an intermediate rifle cartridge?

Oh, or are you telling us there is no such thing as an AR pistol, only AR "short-barrel rifles"?

T/C Contenders and Encores use a break action, I think the Eabco is a falling block action, Remington made a bolt action. Several rifle cartridges fit in revolvers line 32-20 and the zippy .22 centerfires can be packed in to a revolver.

These can be packed in a holster at the hip, held and fired accurately with one hand.

I’m telling you I think taking an AR, chopping the front off it and back off it doesn’t make it a pistol just because you registered it one way before chopping the parts vs registering it another then chopping the parts. Fact is, at present, these Are presently legal due to an interpretation of the NFA and that interpretation can change.

You can think lots of my sporting goods are ridiculous. I invite you to! I’m telling you my opinion that a pistol should be a light weight firearm that can be operated effectively with one hand and no other support.

Without giving offense to someone, nothing of interest can ever be said. These are my OPINIONS. I’m fine if you don’t agree.

Come on, tell me a 9mm Colt Single Action Army isn’t silly!

Any stockless shotgun.
AR Pistols.
AR's with golf ball launchers.
All pink/teal/other inappropriate colors.
Deringers

The 1911-ish pistol in post #6 I would probably ridicule more if I knew how much it costs. And is that a saddle as a front sight? Bet it shoots low.... making a gun that *can't* be fired anywhere near POA seems worthy of ridicule.

I like to pimp up my rifles. My 243 Winnie now sports a red and black laminate thumbhole stock from Richard's Stocks. Feels normal to do stuff that ain't acceptable to snobs.

Here is a couple of pictures one of my nephews shared with me...lol

Attachments

• Image-1(3).jpg
    Image-1(3).jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Image-1(2).jpg
    Image-1(2).jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 89
I don't ridicule the Mare's Leg. But ... I'm old enough that I watched Steve McQueen use the original on the telly every week when I was a kid so, for me, it's a nostalgia thing. And, yes, I know it was chambered in .44-40 and the cartridges he carried in his belt were .45-70 ... but I didn't know that when I was a kid.

And is that a saddle as a front sight? Bet it shoots low.... making a gun that *can't* be fired anywhere near POA seems worthy of ridicule.

I think its supposed to be a saddle horn front sight but if you look, you'll see the rear sight is adjustable, so I doubt it would have to shoot low...

I’m telling you my opinion that a pistol should be a light weight firearm that can be operated effectively with one hand and no other support.

I've got a slightly different opinion, and no, I don't have any of the AR type pistols, but I do have pistols that weigh over four pounds so I don't think they have to be light weight.

Also, while I can shoot them all one handed, its very difficult to operate a semi auto one handed. Even revolvers and single shots are operated easier using both hands. I don't mean just firing the gun I mean loading it, working the slide, chambering a round in a semi auto is tough to do with just one hand.

The guns I would consider worthy of ridicule are S&Ws with the lock and lever guns with the crossbolt pushbutton safeties.

and GLocks! :rolleyes:

If there is any merit to being able to laugh at ourselves, which guns or related items do you find most ridiculous? :D i'll start with a few that I perceive as utterly meritless:
  1. Ruger Charger
  2. Mossberg Shockwave
  3. Mare's Laig
  4. Revolvers without barrels
  5. Bumpstocks, anyone?
This is just for fun, without the intent to offend anyone. I know there's a lot more that could be added, so what's on your list?

I agree with every one you listed except revolvers without barrels. There are quite a few examples of pepperbox revolvers being used in self defense prior to the 1850s. They were pretty effective in cap and ball days.
Of course they have no modern application, but as a historical replica, they can have a purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I can appreciate almost any gun. So, to me it isn't so much the hardware, but when/where/how it is carried.

A long gun on a city street
A full blown western holster including full ammo loops into a suburban burger joint.
Drop leg holster into the local BBQ place on a busy Friday night if your not a LEO.

Now, I'm not suggesting any of things should be illegal. However, do they advance our position as law abiding citizens or confirm the idea that we're all slightly off center gun nuts.

Agreed

I’ll add semi auto tactical shotguns with sights, lights and pistol grips. The demand for these appear to be coming from the video game crowd.
Trench warfare is a thing of the past. And no civilian is on a crowd control swat team. I’ve heard of them being touted for home defense. But if so, why the huge sights? Are the insides of peoples houses that much bigger than mine that they need huge sights to reach the other side of the room?

Also, any weapon or ammo that markets on the basis of a zombie apocalypse.

"Carbon 15" and other plastic . . . er . . . "polymer" ARs.
ARs hydrodipped with a bunch of skulls or flames.
Any 5.56 AR with a shorter than 8" barrel.
Any AK with a shorter than 8" barrel.
FN 5.7 and PS90
Taurus Judge, and of course the S&W Governor
1911s with external extractors (yes, I'm talking to you, S&W and SIG)

WHY

I see no reason to bash a person's choice of firearm they paid for it, they will (perhaps) be using it, and hopefully know how . Everyone selects their own source of entertainment ???

Bad experience !!!!

In keeping with the spirit of this thread. ...... ;)
"What firearms would you be embarrassed to be "seen" with by others, even though you may not be ridiculed?"

Right now, I can only encountered one and that is the MAC-10. A aguaintance of mine, brought me one to clean for him as he was not very familiar with firearms. I cleaned it and one,I refused to show it to my wife. He came and got it and have not seen either, for a number of years. ..... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back