Guns that invite ridicule....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pathfinder45

If there is any merit to being able to laugh at ourselves, which guns or related items do you find most ridiculous? :D i'll start with a few that I perceive as utterly meritless:
  1. Ruger Charger
  2. Mossberg Shockwave
  3. Mare's Laig
  4. Revolvers without barrels
  5. Bumpstocks, anyone?
This is just for fun, without the intent to offend anyone. I know there's a lot more that could be added, so what's on your list?

1. Gimmicked-up AR pattern rifles and pistols that look like props in a science fiction movie or Transformers accessories

2. Compact and concealable pistols kitted out with optics, lights and lasers that stick out/up like tail fins on a 1950's Cadillac, an airplane rudder or resemble brass knuckles ahead of the trigger guard

Last edited:
Most AR15 home builds listed on Armslist. I look at them for fun sometimes they are so bad. How many people are building and AR with $500 in furniture and some chopped, used low dollar barrel....and worse than milspec trigger. I’d hate to see these folks dress themselves!

poseidon-hero-1-1536x1097-jpg.608954

Personally I can appreciate almost any gun. So, to me it isn't so much the hardware, but when/where/how it is carried.

A long gun on a city street
A full blown western holster including full ammo loops into a suburban burger joint.
Drop leg holster into the local BBQ place on a busy Friday night if your not a LEO.

Now, I'm not suggesting any of things should be illegal. However, do they advance our position as law abiding citizens or confirm the idea that we're all slightly off center gun nuts.

I have been chastised by gunsmiths and their customers for not showing unalloyed admiration for their styling exercises. Things like "French borders."

Yes, the Mossberg 464 SPX is a true abomination. I had forgotten about that one.
How about derringers in calibers so powerful that they endanger the shooter more than the target?

In the eyes of the beholder !!!!

Guns that invite ridicule....
That might be a bit harsh. I'll be one of the first to say that "our" firearm world has to man toys, junk and generally useless but again, that is by "my" measure. I have seen my share of critical comments for my commitment to Muzzleloaders. .... :eek:

So I guess to each his own and those items don't cost me anything. .... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

Seems that a lot of gun people do like to ridicule, but I have not partaken in that activity in a very long time.
I do not purchase for other’s enjoyment purposes. I buy firearms for me only, no one outside of my household has seen them or knows of the existence of my guns outside of the occasional post here. Only one gun has been taken to a public range, detailed in the next paragraph.

As a mini14 owner, I have faced ridicule. I have felt the glare of shame being directed towards me. I’ve choked back tears as pulled the trigger because I simply could not predict where the bullets were going to strike... “will they hit the dirt in several yards in front of the target or even into another shooting lane?”, I’ve oftentimes pondered to myself.
Shooters to the left would duck and run for cover as they worried about being struck by the bullet, while shooters on the right needed bandages and will always bear the scars from my ejected brass. I did manage to hit one paper target (not mine BTW) but the bullet was stopped by the paper and harmlessly slid to the ground. After 5 shots, my barrel was flapping in the breeze like a discarded section of yellow caution tape. I was further embarrassed when I shamefully tried to pack it away and the uncooperative barrel kept getting hung in the zipper of the rifle bag in which a Mini14 was clearly undeserving of occupying.

AR-15’s with every “tactical” accessory in the catalogue......and the owner calling himself an operator....

There are lots of things I have no interest in. Ridicule?

1. Cowboy Action guns in 9mm. That's like The Duke in a pink tutu, Pilgrim.
2. "Pistols" based on an AR receiver. Come on, that's not a pistol, it's a rule-beater. That's not an "arm brace" it's a "Really Crappy Stock." You knew it when you saw it, the ATF is gonna reclassify it and you're gonna have to put a new upper and stock on it.

Stuff I don't approve of? Fellas dressing up in full military gear out for "peaceful" demonstrations. Us Cowboy Action guys and Civil War Re-en-actors are exempt as we know we look ridiculous. Our wives tell us and dogs snicker before we go out to a field far from normal folks to do our thing.

I don't approve of the recent trend of taking a hacksaw to perfectly good old pump shotguns. Unreliable crap jam-o-matic old shotguns should just be fixed or scrapped. Please, don't butcher any more Model 37s, Wingmasters or Model 500s! These are going to be the Parker, Fox, and LC Smith shotguns in short time.

If it can't hold a 12" pizza box at fifty feet, it's not interesting to me.

How many Lucas McCain fans are out there, REALLY? Why wreck a nice lever gun like that?

Black "Tactical" lever guns. "Betcha if we spot weld picatiny rails on em, replace expensive walnut with cheap injection molded black plastic stocks, and spray paint 'em black instead of doing expensive bluing.. we can sell them like hotcakes!" I think they look like a prius with a huge spoiler on the back.

But that's just me. You can mock my hobby of getting pheasants when I could just go buy chicken at the store and avoid a lot of time and effort training a dog and hiking around in the fields with an expensive shotgun. What a lot of "work" for a ditch chicken!

The only guns I believe are deserving of ridicule are ones which are poorly made, have sub-standard materials, have safety issues (like a Jennings falling apart in your hand), and will not stand up to the test of time and heavy use.

And as far as the Shockwave goes, I think it's one of the best home defense shotguns out there. Easily maneuvered, and the grip won't tear into your hand like a pistol grip.

Revolvers without barrels

How about revolvers with 16" barrels - the Heritage Rough Rider. How can you miss when you can reach out and touch the bullseye?

Stoeger makes "tactical" over-under and side-by-side shotguns with Picatinny accessory rails.

A 16" revolver is a product of the law, have to have it if you want a shoulder stock without begging permission of the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back