GP100 or 686? Help me decide which 4" .357

I have both firearms, the S&W being a 686 no dash. I have quite a few firearms. If I could only have ONE it would be the S&W 686. It seems to do everything "perfect". That said, the Ruger GP100 (both are 4 inch) is no slouch. Accurate, exceptionally durable, but it seems "clunky" but NOT in a bad way. It is just not as graceful as the Smith. Try both, choose the one preferable to you but don't be afraid to spend about $150 more on the Smith. Neither will really disappoint but I am betting the resale (not that I ever will) will be greater on the Smith.

I like 6" revolvers even for all around use. I like the trigger on my 6" GP100 just as well or better than any of my S&W's, and I have 3 very nice ones...model 67, 5" 7 shot 686 with non fluted cylinder, and 627 4" standard 8 shot.

The 686 is superior and worth the extra money. Ruger DA revolvers have terrible triggers compared to Smith revolvers. The 686 has better balance
I have not found this to be true at all, and I have both.

I picked up my new GP100 after work today and headed directly to the range, and ran a box each of .38 spl and .357 through it. I didn't have any good targets today, so it was just a quick get-to-know-you meeting.

It seemed to shoot a bit to the right, but that was probably mostly me adjusting to the heavy DA trigger. Next trip I'll shoot some SA and use a real target, then I can adjust the sight if needed.

I'll probably try some different grips too, although the stock ones aren't bad and fit me fairly well. Thanks to everyone for all the input and advice.

WyMark: You will probably end up with both, eventually. Whichever one you buy, you will want the other one as well...LOL...At least, that's the way I am.
Ain't that the truth.

I got a GP-100 Talo a couple years back, and have been on Gunbroker practically every week since then hunting for a reasonably priced 586 (or a Model 19... or both).

Smith & Wesson revolvers seem to command a price premium, as the people who want them (like me) tend to REALLY want them.

rugers are generally built heavier than smith and Wesson. I have a 629 44 mag, but I got it because i love smith and Wesson. i have a super red hawk 454 as well as 2 smith and Wesson 500s. if you are going to use and abuse it i would go with the ruger because the things are like tanks, but in the end, it is all about your preferences. Get either and enjoy a lifetime of shooting and great performance.

now when they make an x-frame in 44 mag, i will be shelling out the cash because that will be one hefty gun, and i am generally better with heavier pistols in general.:D

I have a GP 100 Match Champion amongst several other pistols. I reload 38 and 357 and have done so with several thousand rounds. I love that pistol, maybe not as much as my 1911, but for sure it is a truly great pistol. You will never be sorry for spending the extra bucks on it!!! -Gunny T sends

I have two 686s and two GP100s.

A good gunsmith can make the GP100 trigger incredible, as I had done on my GP100 6". With its trigger I swear to God that gun is unbelievably accurate.

The same with the S&W 686. IMO both guns benefit from a trigger job.

Fit and finish on the new GP100s is perhaps even better than on the 686. Ruger really got this one right.

The Smith comes with better sights out of the box.

The Ruger (non Match Champion) GP100s come with a really cool front sight system whereby you can swap out different front sights in a matter of seconds. God only knows why all revolvers don't have this system.

Both revolvers (GP100/686) are amazing firearms.

Just got a new Hogue pau ferro monogrip today, will try to get to the range with it tomorrow. Hope I like it because I'm not sure I'll be able to get it back off now. It took some serious effort to get it on, now it's going to take a vise, hammer and dowel rod to drive it off.

gp100pauferro.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The SA on this one is crisp and light, lighter and shorter than my BHP trigger.

I like the wood Hogue grip, it's very comfortable and fits my hand perfectly.

I like a 4 inch barrel .. I can carry my GP100 with a 4 inch barrel as easy as a 3 inch barrel.. I see no advantage with a 3 inch barrel , for myself ..

Back