GP100 or 686? Help me decide which 4" .357

WyMark

I looked at a 686+ yesterday, but didn't find a GP100 to compare. The trigger on the Smith felt a little better than the SP101 one shop had on hand, but I don't know if it was $140 better, which is what they quoted.

I like my LCR, it's a great carry but not much fun to shoot, so I want a little bigger 4" .357 for a range gun.

Edit: Actually I think the Smith model I want would be the 586, 4: blued finish.

Last edited:
Both are fantastic weapons. I think the S&W has a better trigger but overall the guns are very close and it really just comes down to personal preference.

Pick the one you like the most.

No one can really tell you anything new-that a search wouldn't uncover.

Buy what makes you happy.

I have gp100, but a s&w model 10 and 14.

MY logic: i want a .357 that lets me shoot the heaviest load out there, and i can't find a Redhawk .357.

For .38spl, a S&W is nice! For most .357 loads, S&W is great. I want to be able to do the 1%

Personally, as much as I like S&W, I'd go with the gP100 if you want to comfortably shoot magnums, in 6 inch. It's a solid gun. If it weren't for the ugly lock, I'd say Smith and Wesson 686 though.

If aesthetics mean anything to you, and obviously it does if you're looking at the 586 (blued) over the 686 (stainless), go for the 586. It is just a work of art compared to the GP100 (a very functional tool in its own right.)

I've got a GP100 coming to me some day, and it's a great handgun, but I wanted something a little different/nicer. If I didn't already have the GP100 in the family, I might have gone with that instead.

Thanks all, I was leaning more to the GP100, that $140 will buy plenty of ammo. Yes the Smith is prettier and has a little bit nicer trigger (assuming the SP101 and GP100 triggers are similar), but this is primarily a range gun, and pretty doesn't matter that much.

GP100 it is, but damn that 686 is pretty.

WyMark: You will probably end up with both, eventually. Whichever one you buy, you will want the other one as well...LOL...At least, that's the way I am.

I also have a S&W 460 mag, but my particular model is a "PC" model so not really fair to compare that to a standard GP100.

I've had my eyes on this Ruger GP 100 .357 Mag.Match Champion for about a year.But I always bought Semi's or other Revolvers.I went today and looked at it one more time.My dealer asked why you always look at it and then buy something else? He was asking $765.00 + tax. I had seven hundred in my pocket.He asked do I want it? I said I did,and it came home with me today for the $ 700.00 I had in my pocket brand new in the Ruger case.:cool:

https://youtu.be/IwshbrsUrB8

Last edited:
They are equal as to accuracy
Gp100 is cheaper and a*little* tougher. (Meaning that if you dry fire both 100,000 times and put 20,000 rounds through each, the smith might show more wear).
Smith has a better trigger and looks better (to me), will hold its value *slightly* better.
Pretty much a draw overall. Really depends on your preference.

Buy the 686 every time......long after you've forgotten about the price...you will appreciate the trigger on the S&W....every time you shoot it in my view.

If you are going to modify it after purchase buy the 586. There are many more accessories available.

As far as durability, both will suit you for years.

I like the Ruger buy can get a much better trigger with the Smith. I can find speedloaders and a wider variety of grips.

Ruger does not sell parts, unless that has changed since I tried to get them for a trigger job. Smith parts are readily available.

If you are just into plinking either gun will fork.

Whichever one feels better in your hand.

That being said, my FiL bought a GP100 a couple of years ago and the trigger is very good, MUCH better than my SP101.

If you don't intend to carry it, I would go for the 6". The longer sight radius of my 6" revolvers helps me shoot them more accurately than the 4", and it seems to help with recoil as well.

Back