Goodbye Youtube Gun Video Channels

Mike Beliveau creator of Duelist Den on YouTube just posted on his Facebook page he had his worst month of revenue ever on YouTube.

I'm sure a lot of the smaller (even though he has way over 10K views) will end up not producing content. At least in the caliber we are used to seeing from them.

None of the YouTube channels I regularly watch have any commercials anymore.

I was only making a pittance anyways on my channel, but it's funny seeing the revenue graph on mine jump from mountain crests to a flatline in a single day.

You don't have much on Youtube Dakota. This is not just those doing Youtube on firearms. It is across the board. Under 10,000 hits
:mad:

Last edited:
Lots of channels impacted.
A huge number of veterinarian and medical videos have been 'restricted' and demonitized, as well.
Giving a kid a vaccination? Restricted!
Going over the basics of gun safety? Restricted!
Showing how to inspect a dog's paws for hidden sores? Restricted!
Demonstrating how to clean a fish? Restricted!
Shooting a paper target? Mega restricted!

:rolleyes:

"why penalize those who are constructively, or even just benignly sharing their knowledge, opinions and insights?"

Didn't you know guns have been labeled a "public health menace." If you have a gun, if you like to read about guns, if you watch movies with guns...you're a threat to society and a possible terrorist. At leat that's what they tell me. :mad:

bryco32 said:
Mike Beliveau creator of Duelist Den on YouTube just posted on his Facebook page he had his worst month of revenue ever on YouTube.

I'm sure a lot of the smaller (even though he has way over 10K views) will end up not producing content. At least in the caliber we are used to seeing from them.
All Mike Beliveau has uploaded to Youtube the past month on his channel has been related to the swivel flintlock rifle kit he's working on. He's on part 20 of that build and I watched the first 4 or 5 and stopped watching after that, so I'm sure I'm not his only subscriber that's done so.

However, I'm sure that some of that revenue is due to the changes in Youtube's advertising and monetization policy.

The small channels that are still up and coming that feature rednecks cussing... yeah, they're not going to bother anymore. Sucks, because Busyhands94 had a good channel going.

What am I missing here? I can not find anything on YouTube dumping the gun videos.

That's because they are not dumping gun videos.

You Tube is altering it's business model or it's formulas on who gets money from the advertisers. Not everyone who has videos on You Tube showing us how to fold napkins, or reviewing vacuum cleaners, will be making money off the advertisers. Not all the "Product Reviews with Chad!" channel will make the cut. Now it seems, only the ones with more than 10,000 hits will be paid by the advertisers. Looks like the advertisers have gotten picky about how their money is spent and where their ads go.

Somethings changing there, but it doesn't seem to be a ban on gun videos.

You Tube has also enacted some age restrictions on some videos which may impact some "Gun Channels". That can be petitioned to change.

You knew this model wasn't gonna last forever. The only way You Tube makes money is off advertising. At some point someone was gonna ask..."Why are we paying money to these two dopers on skate boards who fall off roofs and get 6,000 views a month?"

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/72857?hl=en

tipoc

Last edited:
This may give folks a little better idea of what's going on.

https://www.thetrace.org/2017/04/gun-youtube-restricted-mode-advertising/

You may be aware that over the the last period of time there have been calls for You Tube, Facebook, Reddit and other websites to "limit" or control what is posted there. Facebook has been under pressure to censor "Fake News", bullying, images of violence and killings online, Jihadist videos, etc. This pressure comes from a variety of sources. One thing you tube has done is create a "Restricted" category. Exactly how this works I'm not sure. But if enough folks report something as age inappropriate or inappropriate for some reason, it gets into the "Restricted" category. That prevents it from being monetized. This has caught some gun channels and others. This effects their bottom line as it restricts access to them and therefore money. It can also be appealed. It's created confusion and not just with gun channels.

It can be a threat to free speech in some ways. Gotta think this out and learn more.

tipoc

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember when youtube was about having fun and expressing your self?
not making money or quitting your job and becoming a internet star?

Ya.. good times..

YT has been going down hill since google bought YT.
When I come across some Madonna crying about their monitization on YT I just laugh.

Just to re-address the topic...

Tonight, I watched a metric ton of gun videos on YouTube, and nearly every one of them was prefaced and interrupted by advertisements.
Most were NRA-backed ads, but there were a few other in the mix, as well.

So...
I think we need to inquire with our favorite channel hosts to see what policy/advertisement changes were made, and what the hosts' new perspective may be on the current (developing?) situation.

If you have the space, it's easy to download YouTube videos and store if it's something you like watching, not cats afraid of cucumbers, but something of value.
It probably takes less time than sitting through advertisements if you have a good connection.
Then you can watch it anywhere.

If you have the space, it's easy to download YouTube videos and store if it's something you like watching, not cats afraid of cucumbers, but something of value.
It probably takes less time than sitting through advertisements if you have a good connection.
Then you can watch it anywhere.
Without permission, that's piracy - and illegal.

Without permission, that's piracy - and illegal.
But perhaps not under the Fair Use Doctrine if done for the private, non-commercial use by the downloader. This is similar to video time-shifting which the Supreme Court allowed in Sony Corp. v. Universal. Wikipedia has another article on the Fair Use Doctrine. I'm talking about the portion of YouTube available without a subscription.

I don't practice intellectual property law and am unwilling to say downloading from YouTube for private, non-commercial use is clearly legal. I'm saying that it does not appear to be clearly illegal.

Just did a search, and all of the old faithful gun vids and channels are still up and running.

I think this was knee jerk, fake news.

Back