Good cheap lube

viciouskitty

I was hoping to get an idea of what sort of lubes you guys use for your guns. I'm tempted to try automotive lubes for the low cost but any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm looking for an all around lubricant for my 22 pistol (ruger) 40 cal auto, S&W 357 and my rifles such as my AR Galil cetme etc. :D

I find that FP-10 is the best I have used but I have not tried them all. One other up side is that my wife does not complain of the smell... to me it all most smells like weak cinnamon

you can get remigton oil at wally world for pretty cheap. as far as when i store my guns i just give them a quick wipe with wd-40.

When ever this topic comes up, and it does quite often ,there is one thing I find amusing. Guys will spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on a quality gun, and then use motor oil for lubrication because "gun" oils are too costly!
Cleaners and lubricants that are designed for guns are not all that xpensive when you consider how little you use.
My choices are:
Good old Hoppe's #9
Rem Oil
CLP
Shooter's Choice All Weather High-Tech gun grease

Use the search button on the tool bar at the top of the page, and you will find plenty of comments.

I use Miltech. A small bottle is around $6 and last forever. I don't like the idea of using anything thats not made (marketed? :o) for firearms. I understand all the arguments for motor oil but I prefer the warm fuzzy feeling I get from gun store bought firearm lube.

When ever this topic comes up, and it does quite often ,there is one thing I find amusing. Guys will spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on a quality gun, and then use motor oil for lubrication because "gun" oils are too costly!
Cleaners and lubricants that are designed for guns are not all that xpensive when you consider how little you use.
My choices are:
Good old Hoppe's #9
Rem Oil
CLP
Shooter's Choice All Weather High-Tech gun grease

I find it a little funny myself too.

I like your 1st 3 choices... never used the 4th.

But then again, I've used Marvelous Mystery oil and a off brand red colored "3-n-1" oil (marvelous mystery oil knock off) with success too. Ive used vasoline in a pinch.

A few bucks worth of any of the gun oils last a long time. I just dont see the cost savings being big enough for ME to want to use alternates as a rule of thumb.

I use whatever gun oil I have.
FP-10,
Miltec,
Hoppes Elite,
and mostly, the oil from Walmart cleaning kits (outer's?).
WD40 only for cleaning or quick wipe down after a range trip.
=======================================
I usually over-oil and just wipe off excess with a rag.

A retired LE officer I'm familiar with went to work for a government agency. They bought Mobil 1 synthetic oil by the case and their AR's ran just fine.

So will your pistol.

When asked what kind, he said whichever case was closer to the door.

15W-50 works fine for me. A quart sure lasts a long time.:D

another vote for Mobil 1!

I am not a big fan of WD 40 for lubrication for firearms. About the only thing I would use it for was if I was out in the rain with a firearm to spray the exterior down till I clean it.

Ask a 100 people and you will get 200 different answears. Personally, in over 30 years of shooting I haven't tried lubricant that hasn't worked.

For the slide - a synthetic high temp heavy duty industrial grease. Everything else a good quality full synthetic motor oil.

I would not recommend WD-40 for lubrication or protection against rust.

Rem Oil has PTFE - Not a fan of PTFR for any type of lubrication. DuPont actually refused to sell Teflon to the engine oil and oil additive manufactures. DuPont was sued, and the court ruled they had to sell Teflon to these engine oil and oil additive manufactures.

I can't beleive I came late to this party. I love lubrication!

I don't like the fact that Grant Cunningham doesn't list any references in his blog, but here it is:

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

It makes interesting reading.

I have been using Castrol Dexron VI Automatic Transmission Fluid to clean my pistols. It works OK. I've been using Walmart Super Tech Extreme Pressure Multi-Duty Complex Hi-Temp grease on my G34 and it works fine. That is pretty cheap, like $6.00 for 14oz.

attachment.php

I also have been using Lubriplate SFL-0. Not so cheap - like 30 bucks for 14oz

attachment.php

You should do a search for lubrication, there's tons of opinions - very little good info. Almost all corporations that have heavy machinery for manufacturing or processing have figured out the proper lubricants for their equipment. There are batteries of tests that can be used to determine which lubrication displays the best characteristics for any particular application.

You can test used lubrication for viscosity, oxidation, contamination, and so forth, but these tests haven’t been conducted on the various gun oils on the market. So what we have are a lot of claims by manufacturers and claims by users, and a lot of room for debate.

And there are people who do all sorts of unorthodox things – like run their firearms through the dishwasher, or drop them in pails of solvent, hose them down with pressure washers, dry them in the oven, etc…

The debate about cleaning and lubrication goes on...

I think it’s kind of amazing that some shooters will spend hours scouring the Internet to get the best deal on ammo to save a few bucks on a 50rd box, but they’ll pay $40.00 a gallon for “gun” oil to clean their firearms.

Having said that, unless you want to do a lot of research into lubricants, my advice is stick with Break Free CLP.

I also would stay away from carburetor cleaners, brake cleaners and anything that has chlorinated esters or chlorinated hydrocarbons in them. Unfortunately there are some products marketed as gun cleaners that do have chlorinated esters in them.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460140&highlight=woo+hoo

Attachments

• Walmart grease.jpg
    Walmart grease.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 4,075
They make gun oil for a reason, it performs better in firearms because its made for firearms. Im looking at a 2floz bottle of hoppes gun oil I got about a year ago and its still got a bit left in it, and I clean and oil my guns pretty often.

Mobil One 0w20 automotive engine oil. $7 a quart at WalMart, should last you 5 - 10 years?

Or you can pay $7 an ounce for name brand firearm oil. You decide. :cool:

Back