Glocks at 500 yards?

Facts, a 40SW at 500 yards is still carrying nearly the ft/lbs of a 22lr at the muzzle, and a considerable momentum. It would certainly penetrate what amounts to a tin can.

there's a bit of a difference between a coke can and a steel drum, my friend :)

incidentally, a 22lr will not penetrate a steel drum at close range. it'll ricochet right off.

I don't know what kind of anemic 22 you use or if you've got 1/4 inch steel drums in your area but we used to shoot the crap out of a couple of old steel drums with the 22. It goes through at a fair distance, certainly 50 yards.

Jezz this is out of my range.:mad: I doubt I could see the target that's over a quarter mile away :eek:( 5 football fields ):(
Sounds like something the boys on impossible shots should try:D. Bob and Jerry should be able to make child's play out of this.:)

...maybe dead on. The 22's i've fired at drums made a nice gouge and ricoche'd off into the woods if hit slightly to one side.

Yeah, 22lr will go through 55 gallon drums. And I don't doubt for a second that that target is 500 yards away. The distance from the closest pole to the target might be 150yds, but I suspect it's closer to 200.

It doesn't "look" like 500yrds but I'm not about to call anyone a liar. Somebody with a milldot scope and a big Hi-def computer screen should range it out for us... HaHa. Oh and 22lr will go through a drum all day. Even out of a Walther P22.

500 yards - yes.

Sure don't look like 500 yards to me.

It sure does to me. That target looks awfully small.
Using the telephone poles as a measure only works if you know how tall they are to begin with. Any pole that is non standard will throw the calculation off.
A better measure is to look at the tire tracks close to the camera . How wide is a pick-up track? How wide is a tire? Notice how they go over a small rise and disappear. Imagine a pick-up truck sitting in those tracks. How tall would it be? Then take a look again at the closest pole. It's pretty far.
Pete

Last edited:
I was able to put 7 of 14 shots in 39", on target. Which, if you figure that out, boils down to less than 2" at 25 yards which is not bad in itself.
maybe thats the problem getting 1/2 your shots in a 2" group @ 25 yards may be an accurate gun to you, however accurate guns will shoot better than 2" groups at twice that distance.my HK P7 has and will keep all shots on a notebook size target @ 100 yards and I've no doubt they're many handguns that would keep all their shots on a sheet of plywood at 500 yards.
your ability to maintain "combat accuracy" with a Glock out to 500 is impressive.But I'm still not impressed with the mechanical accuracy.heck I've seen an old fat man shoot balloons at 200 yards with a SAA.

Does the .40 S&W still have any ass left by the time it has traveled 500 yards?
The first time we tried this, we used 55-gallon drums for targets. The .40 bullets went through both sides with no problem at all.

That has to be the flattest 500 yard trajectory I have ever seen for a gun fired at 500 yards. Based on the image with the rod showing the trajectory through the barrel, it is virtually flat/parallel to the ground.

Considering the amount of drop at that distance, there is no way the holes indicated could have been formed by a single shot fired at 500 yards.

Google youtube for hickok45 - he's amazing...like a real life John Wayne. The history channel should hire him for their firearms segments.

long range handgun

My thought is this, it's his gun, his time to shoot it as much as it takes to do what he wants it to do... pratice..pratice...pratice...most people spend more time and money adding shiny bling to their guns then time on the range... I believe this, if he say's he can ,then he can, who am I to call BS? I've made shots that others would call BS or crazy...if you haven't then your not a shooter...

I've hit steel at 200 yds with my 45 ACP...not every time, but I've done it, I killed a deer at 300 yds with the 14th shot out of a 357 6" colt trooper.. had I wounded it and it had gotten away I would have carried that guilt all my life, but I was young, dumb and trying to impress people.... would I do it again? never...

Elmer Keith was a great shot, just ask him, well not now but .... I know people who shot with him and say he was a true pistol shooter "AND" a wonderful BS artist... who cares...he could tell a great story...

Many years ago at my range in Pennsylvania I watched a man ring a 300 meter 24" steel plate swinging gong with a Beretta 9mm, IIRC 10 times out of 20, from a sitting position.

It's not messed up.

In order to get a 500 yard zero you would be nearly 26 inches high at 25 yards, and it's dropping like a rock (which is actually exactly the same as dropping like a bullet) at 500 yards. It loses almost 36 inches in the last 25 yards.

The lead is based on a moving target, can't remember how fast. I ignored that part, should have changed it to zero. Anyway, doesn't have much bearing on this case.

Last edited:
Back