Gestapo live and well in Maryland

Well I nearly had a run in with one of our wonderful Maryland State Cops today. I was checking my oil in my Dart outside a Weiss market in Frederick around 1230 PM. I had my shortwave radio on and was listening to Pastor Pete Peters out of Ft. Collins Colorado. The cop was opposite me in his state police car and was not in uniform which doesnt matter in this case. He asked me if anything was wrong and I said no. Then he wanted to know why i had my radio on so loud! I looked at him and said I like it loud. I know there is no law against having a radio on top of your car turned on loud. I think he heard Pastor Peters talking about how the state has near control of our kids today and one cannot discipline them without the state coming in and seizing your kids. I was getting pissed at this dude and thought to myself he sure as heck wouldnt go down to the housing projects in Frederick and tell some guy down there to turn down his boomm box! He might get his a-- kicked. He left and nothing happened which is good but I felt like telling him to go to H---! Guys, the government is brainwashing local cops all over this country into be.lieving that gun owners, prophecy Christians like Pastor Peters, militia people, and other non sheeple people are a danger to the govenment and should be considered potential terrorists. There was a seminar in Los Vegas and Nashville a couple of weeks ago which was attended by local police from around the country. The theme was that the enemy is the people I mentioned above. I say this often but I think it is true.Many of us law biding citizens now fear the police as simply future errand boys of the corporate new world state. I bet you if you will be honest with yourself you will admit that when you see a cop, you often cringe! I am getting too aggrivated now!

AS a resident of Nashville, moreso one tied to the LE community here, I'd love to hear the details of this supposed brain washing meeting :-).

Most places have statutes on how loud radios can be. In fact, I was once charged with a "Noise Violation" for having "loud conversations" with some friends at a beach house once. (it was thrown out.. we were respectful to the idiot who wrote the ticket, and we fought it in court, The system Works!!).

Count me among the brainwashed if that means I think seperatists and revolutionaries who ready to walk out on America or start a shooting war Today are dangerous nuts.

Rob, as far as this thread goes, it seems that me and a few people give Guttsmoke the benefit of doubt, and you and a few people give it to that LEO. Fine. "Can't we all get along?" When you get to the academy ask for a waffle, I'm sure someone will hook you up. Just keep your head turned when they're about to show you.

Ivan, do you really drive a Dart? I've heard they don't need oil, maybe you aroused his curiosity. ;)
BTW Living in northern Virginia, I can't recall ever hearing a positive thing about the MD state police. They're probably an unhappy bunch because of the funny looking cruisers they have to drive.

Maybe it's because I'm from the South but I've always been taught to respect the law. Perhaps I'm lucky but I've only happened onto two LEO's who were buttholes. But, even with them, I was respectful of their badge and shrugged it off.

My parents taught me that "two wrong's don't make a right" and I think that applies in this case. Even IF this officer was having a bad day Guttsmoke didn't have to add to it.

I agree that, with the BATF and FBI attrocities that have happened, ALL of law enforcement has taken a big hit. But it shouldn't be that way. The vast majority of these men and women are doing a great job and DESERVE our respect.

I'm here to tell you that I wouldn't be a LEO for any amount of money. With everything they have to face every day I can't imagine anyone wanting to be an officer of the law. But, I THANK GOD that there are those brave and dedicated souls who are willing.

So, when we are faced with a LEO that needs an attitude adjustment we should, if at all possible, shrug it off and just let it go. I don't mean condone it - just shrug it off. If you feel it's necessary to complain, do it with his/her boss, preferably after you've had some time to cool off.

Try to imagine this incident in a different way. Suppose the LEO was your boss and he found fault with your work. I can almost guarantee that if you handle it the way Guttsmoke did you'll lose your job.

I don't mean any disrespect to Guttsmoke with any of this. I just think it would have been simpler, and would have turned out better, if he had just kept quiet.

Hey there, Guttsmoke.

I started reading your first post with an feeling of sympathy. That feeling went away pretty quick. Sorry, but think you and others like you are the reason I don't like to drive in the Baltimore area.

In a normal situation, a missing plate would earn a citation or often simply an order to correct the situation - no fine, no jail. A simple "I'm sorry, officer, I didn't know; I will take care of it" would probably have ended the problem. There is no need to either grovel or to defend your manhood.

By the way, this is a perfect example of why a driver should check his car and keep everything in order as much as possible. That includes making sure license plates are secure. Yes, some cops are less than perfect examples of police; that's why you don't give them an excuse to stop you in the first place, and you don't deliberately pi** them off if they do. And don't tell me you were just asking innocent questions - you went out of your way to aggravate the situation, and you know it.

Jim

Well, Rob,

I probably deserved to be torched, so I thank you for your restraint.

"Calling his bluff" was probably not the correct phrase, and neither was "insisting he be arrested".

I've had only one semi-bad run-in with a cop, and I think it was just her time of the month... but that was a long time ago. Every other time since then has not necessarily been a pleasant experience, but not a bad one either. Business done, we parted ways.

I believe that proper authority deserves the proper respect, and abusive authority deserves redress through the proper channels.

Anyway, I'm bowing out of this one.

Thanks> :)

------------------
John/az

"The middle of the road between the extremes of good and evil, is evil. When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..."

I AM WRITING IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERs NOT TO YELL BUT TO GET AN ANSWER TO THE QUESTION I HAVE ASKED OVER AND OVER AGAIN. WHERE DO THOSE OF YOU WHO THINK I GAVE THE OFFICER A HARD TIME, PRIOR TO ME NOT GETTING IN THE CAR, COME UP WITH THIS CONCLUSION. IN MY FIRST POST IN THE FIRST 6 OR 7 LINES I EXPLAINED THAT WE BOTH AGREED MY TAG WAS MISSING. I NEVER QUESTIONED THAT. I ONLY ASKED ABOUT HIS POLICE POWERS APPLYING IN AN INCORPARATED CITY WHERE I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT A COUNTY OFFICER HAS NO POLICE POWER'S. A COUNTY POLICEMAN CAN NOT GO DOWNTOWN AND USE HIS POLICE POWERS BECAUSE HE IS JUST JOE CITIZEN ONCE HE IS OUT OF BALTIMORE COUNTY. I WASN'T SURE OF HIS POWERS ON THE CITY COUNTY LINE WHICH WAS THE CASE IN MY STOP. ONCE HE SAID HE HAD THAT RIGHT BECAUSE HE OBSERVED ME IN THE COUNTY I IMMEDIATELY GAVE HIM ALL CREDENTILES.I DID NOT SAY ANYTHING FURTHER EVEN AFTER HE MADE HIS REMARKS ABOUT ME SLEEPING THROUGH THAT CLASS. I DIDN'T MAKE ANY HAND GESTURE, NO BODY LANGUAGE, NOTHING. NOW UP TO THIS POINT WHERE WAS I WRONG? PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION FORGET EVERYTHING ELSE PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION. If you think that my actions were wrong, up to that point IMHO we are in deep do-do and Walking Man's statement hits the nail on the head.

Does anybody really question the "us vs. them" situation that exists today?????

Rob is a spokesman for law enforcement.He hopes that his FOP tag will keep him from getting a ticket while insisting that he wants everything to be legal.
I worked for the federal government for about thirty years in various capacities. I received a lot of training in dealing with people in various situations involving every level from conversations thru violence to the extreme.
In one job in particular I received a lot of bad mouthed verbal abuse.The key to staying calm in the midst of it all is not to take it personally.You dont ignore it, but you do not take it personally. This apparently is not being taught in the police academies or on the street and I wonder why.
This particular thread is a perfect example of what I am talking about.
When I was a child my father told me that if I could control myself I could control any situation. He was only abour 95% on that one, but the concept is important.
It is absolutely necessary that a policeman of all people not lose his head.
It is also necessary that a policeman realizes who employs him and why.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

Ed, I invite you to re-read my post, in fact, I expressly did not look for any special treatment in the incident mentioned.

Everyone,
While we are on the topic, I speed like a demon. In my truck, in my car, on my bike.. you name it, I'm speeding. LOTS. Fast. "Cruising" means 10-15 miles an hour most of the time. I regularly hit my limiter on my current suburban and on my previous giant 3500... they were both limited at 100 mph. I get pulled over A LOT. Always have. I've had 6 tickets in my life (one for 104 in a 65). I've gotten out of one ticket because I was a cop, and this was discovered through conversation, not because I flashed a badge or had an FOP tag on a the vehicle in question. (In fact, I only recently put the FOP tag on my bike since I'm taking it up north, I used to just keep them on the wife's car). Anyway, I can't tell you how many warnings I have gotten just by being polite and respectful. This is even with a gun inthe car or on my person 99% of the time, which I inform the officer about immediately in almost every case.

I tell you all that not to set an example or say speeding is "okay" or wahtever... just to point out that I have spent a lot of time on both sides of a traffic stop. I've had good and bad ones from both sides of the uniform. Guttsmokes stop seemed fine until he questioned the cops authority.

Guttsmoke,

I am going to have to leave this discussion now. I will be offline for days, possibly weeks, while I relocate. (see the "Leave of Absence" thread in General for more specifics).
to comment on your latest post, I can only point out, again, that I thinkyour question was out of line, innapropriate and, quite frankly, silly. I have no idea what the specifics of MD's jurisdictional messes are. In TN, and every other state that I am familiar with, County Officers can enforce laws inside city limits, though they tend not to, if there is a viable city PD. If you are right about the guy having no power to write the ticket or make the stop, then I think it is even more ridiculous for you to have asked him about it, since you could've just gone to court and won your case easily.. humiliating the LEO who obviously represents the oppressive govt you hate so much. ;)

John/az,

To be honest, although you an I disagree on several things (as I recall), you always post with intelligence and consideration. You were correct that "insisted" was at least as innapropriate as the "called his bluff", probably moreso. ;)

Everyone Else,

Have at it. I'm outta here.....

------------------
-Essayons

Guttsmoke:
You recognize, of course, that we are not getting the full picture, no matter how objective you may be. (!) We are, most of us, a bit suspicious of most anything. Thus, many of us question your conduct, out of hand. You are the only messenger.

After your arrest, which they may have had legal standing for, but was an extremely questionable call, their conduct was incorrect. Maybe not actionable-- you'll have to check on that-- but incorrect. Good sir, I ride the line on this one, however.

Your outrage, while perhaps justified, is misdirected here.

For what it's worth, no, if it all went down just as you say, you did nothing wrong prior to refusing to return to your car. Frankly, you should have been able to flip him off as you gave him your license, and received no real flak.

But at the moment of his questionable ulimatum, you invited arrest. After he's made the ultimatum that you breeched, he pretty much had no real choice. You had a choice after he made his. You made it. You went to jail. I'm not saying that's license for unprofessionalism of the officers from there on, but you know you're taking a risk when you get yourself arrested.

Good luck in this one, but can we move on to a firearms-related thread?

Feel free to email me, however. I'm feeling asbestos-y today! ;)

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

[This message has been edited by Long Path (edited July 29, 1999).]

Just one question. Why would someone get pulled over just because of a missing front plate?
It sounds a lot to me like the missing plate was an excuse (probable cause?) to investigate without benefit of a warrant.

------------------
Want to feel your age?Check it out. http://web.superb.net/boy/age1.html

Forgive me for lurking until now. I've had several unpleasant encounters with LEO's.... I also have spent numerous hours in courtrooms (not as a defendant). When for whatever reason you are given the pleasure of interacting with an on duty LEO, let me suggest that your "strategy" be to minimize the actual encounter time regardless of your personal beliefs. The longer the encounter time, the more chance you have of the encounter "going bad." Seems like the place to question the officer's jurisdiction would have been to take it up with the judge on more even territory. There may even be times where the LEO will intentionally attempt to encite you - as was the time I was stopped at a roadblock and my "papers" were checked. Everything was "in order" and then the LEO asked what's that thing doing on your dashboard?! (my radar detector) I felt my blood boil, but said "I didn't realize they are illegal (they definitely are not in this state). He smiled and said no they are legal
and then apologized for "bothering" me...I guess he could have made a "obstruction of driver visibility" or some other trumped up charge - but I would not have argued my case on the street (or even attempted to). Take the ticket and get the heck outta dodge. My 2C's....

Bill; I think everybody agrees with you on that. My own rules are the standard "Yes sir"
or "No sir" as long as he is polite too.
I also know that there is no sense in arguing with an idiot so it is time for the judge. Dont demand to see the supervisor etc because that will mean more delay and probably do no good.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

Ed, you raise an interesting point- You say "as long as the LEO is polite" What if he or she is not polite? Your move...... (This seems to be what riled guttsmoke in the first place.) Here's my take in advance - He has the rod. He has the cuffs. I want to go home - not to the pokie. If he's impolite - I practice self restraint and take my best shot when it has the best chance of hitting the mark - in court or with internal affairs.
I firmly believe in the sniper creed - one shot one hit. If that doesn't work fallback plan is damage control or suck it up - life can be a _______. Don't be a target. If you play dead, the _________will realize you're no fun and take his attitude out on someone who is.

I am not going up against a policeman unless I am threatened. I will be polite as long as he is. I will not confront or resist unless it involves an illegal search.I would much rather have an illegal arrest than a knot on my head. Dont get mad-get even!
If I cannot discuss it in a polite manner then Ill wait for the judge.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

The Maryland State cop who was ready to hassle me over a so called loud radio just didnt like hearing Pastor Pete Peters expounding on the evil corporate system he works for. And I forgot to mention that I had tee shirt with a German MG 42 on it. Rob , it is them versus us. Us are the lawbidding patriots and them are the lackeys of this corportate state who want to bring this country into NWO slavery. Cops as thought control police. It makes my patriot blood boil!

Rob,
You have repeatedly referred to, in this thread, the LEO’s comments as “request”. However, such statements are in your mind not “request” at all but rather “Orders”, or demands and as such to be obeyed with out question or hesitation.

To call such orders a “request” (which entitles the other party the option to comply or not) is not accurate. Either GS had the option of siting in the car or not. If not he was “ordered” to take a course of action with the threat of reprisal if not obeyed.

I suppose the underling question in all of this is should such orders, by LEO’s, be demanded to be obeyed with out question or hesitation? How much power should the police have? Last, do they have more power then they should?

------------------
“We are the pilgrims masters; we shall go, always, a little farther. “

I was always of the belief that untill such time as put under arrest that those were requests by the Public Servent commonly known as a Police Officer. True that Not compling with a request may cause the Public Servent to invoke the STATE authority to arrest but then a whole new set of rules come in to play. But I could be wrong were the 4th and 5th amendments repealed and nobody told me.

Hal,

Maryland is a two-plate state, so it is a violation to drive a car with only one plate.

More to the point, thieves often steal license plates. A favorite hunting ground is the long term parking lot at an airport. A punk will steal license plates (usually the front, because that is the one a driver usually doesn't look at as he puts his luggage in the trunk and drives off), then use them or sell them for use on stolen cars, where they go on the back because that is where a cop usually looks first.

So, a car with only one plate on the back may very well be a stolen car. That is why cops will stop such cars. And those stops are high danger for cops, as stolen cars are often used to transport drugs, or for getaway cars in armed robberies. Approaching the driver's door may earn the cop a burst from an automatic weapon, so you bet he is stressed out.

If the driver is OK (and perhaps is a victim of a plate thief), he or she only need show the proper registration and the picture driver's license. If they match, there should be no problem. There may not even be a citation. In such cases, there is (I forget the term) an order to get the defect fixed and show up at a police station within so many days to prove the fix has been made. There is no fine if this is done, otherwise, the violator is subject to arrest.

The key is for everyone to keep cool and act like an adult, without challenges, sarcasm, nastiness, threats, etc.

Jim

Top 12 Things Not to Say to a Cop...

1.) I can't reach my license unless you hold my beer. (Okay in Texas)
2.) Sorry, Officer, I didn't realize my radar detector wasn't plugged in.
3.) Aren't you the gay guy from the Village People?
4.) Hey, you must've been doin' about 125 mph to keep up with me. Good job!
5.) Are You Andy or Barney?
6.) I thought you had to be in relatively good physical condition to be a
police officer.
7.) You're not gonna check the trunk, are you?
8.) I pay your salary!
9.) Gee, Officer! That's terrific. The officer yesterday only gave me a warning, too!
10.) Do you know why you pulled me over? Okay, just so one of us does.
11.) I was trying to keep up with traffic. Yes, I know there are no other cars around. That's how far ahead of me they are.
12.) When the Officer says "Gee Son... Your eyes look red, have you been drinking?" You probably shouldn't respond with, "Gee, Officer, your eyes look glazed. Have you been eating doughnuts?"
Couldn't resist, time to lighten up. M2

Back