Gents & ladies: deer season is almost here - pick your tool(s)

Ruger M77 MKII in .270 win. Shoots roughly MOA with factory ammo, and a Chinese copy of a Simmons PR-3-9x

It's really all I need for pretty much everything, but plinking. Not very fun shooting $.85+ a round while plinking.

Bow: Martin Monster Buck @ 59# and Easton FMJ's tipped with Magnus Stingers.
Muzzleloader: TC Encore .50 cal with 100 gr. Triple Seven and 215 gr. Precision Rifle QT sabots.
Rifle: Remington Model 722 .244 with 95 gr. Nosler Partition over 42 gr. of Reloader 19.

Good hunting everyone. Can't wait till next Wednesday.

I ended up going with this load for ML season:

.45 cal saboted bullet (.50 cal rifle), 240 grains, Hornady HP, over 100 gr of Blackhorn 209. I first sighted in with saboted 300 grain bullets over 110 grains of BH209 and it knocked the crap out of me (jiminy!), but then ran out of those bullets before I could get a satisfactory group. I was more than happy to switch to a lighter one. The 240s weren't grouping right with 110 grains of BH209, so went to 100 and it shaped up to "good enough".

I shot a few of my "nested sabot" 195 gr .357 bullets in two sabots, but the opening on the end of the bullet seating attachment to my rod wasn't wide enough, so after seating the load, the rod end grabbed and pulled out the plastic ballistic tip from the Precision brand bullets. Which would be all well and good if it would do it EVERY time, but it didn't and there was a 10" POI change between tip and no tip at 85 yards. So I had to abandon that load for now.

I love BH 209. I didn't even clean the ML after the long range session. After I sighted in, before leaving the range, I loaded one last load (sans primer), and left it in there with fouled bore - ready to hunt; just add primer.

In order of use:

Barnett Wildcat C5 crossbow with 4x scope, Carbon Express arrows and CE Torrid SS broadheads

CVA Staghorn Magnum muzzleloader with Hornady SST 250 gr flextips

Remington 783 7mm Rem Mag with a Vortex 6-18x44 and/or TC Venture .308 with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40.

Don't have the most expensive stuff but it all shoots good and works.

Marlin MXLR in .308 Marlin Express. The scope is a Sightron 3-12x mildot SII Big Sky. I use factory ammo in this rifle

RRA AR in 5.56mm. The red dot is the Aimpoint CompC3. The flashlight comes off when I'm using it for deer. I use the Sierra 65 grain SBT Gameking with 25.2 grains of W748.

A boring Savage 110 chambered in 30-06 looking through a Nikon 3-9x40 scope, shooting 150 grain hand loads.
Perhaps a not so boring Savage 110 chambered in 338-06 looking through a Nikon 4-12x40 scope, shooting 225 grain hand loads.

If I get it in time (supposed to be finished Oct. 23)...I'll be using my Nosler M48 Custom in 280 Ackley.

If not, I'll be begging my wife to let me borrow her Winchester M70 Featherweight Deluxe in 270 Win.

I've had to sit out bow season this year, couldn't afford to take the time off work (Nosler rifles are expensive)...but if I had bow hunted, it would have been with my Parker Tornado F4 crossbow.

Sport Mauser in 8mm shooting a round nose soft point bullet of 170 grains. The scope is a humble 9 power Simmons. It's accurate as I need - ranges were I'm hunting this year don't exceed 180 yards.

IMG_3191.JPG

Here is the bullet:

l_749003273_1.jpg

Last edited:
Savage 16 Weather Warrior in 260 with 100gr Partitions
Ruger Hawkeye in 280 with 145 Speer
SA M1A Scout Squad with 150 NBT

Us paper shooters have to get to the range early until the first week of November or so this time of year. Big crowds at the ranges. Hunters don't spend much time at the range. They usually leave a usable target for the next shooter until a ceasefire is called.

Back