Gents & ladies: deer season is almost here - pick your tool(s)

First week of Ft. Sill muzzleloader season is conventional rifles only using conicals or patched round ball. i'll be using a TC New Englander in .50 or .54 caliber and patched round ball.

2. Second week of Ft. Sill muzzleloader season, OK muzzleloader season, Ft. Sill deer season and OK rifle season i'll be using a scoped .54 caliber TC FireHawk rifle and patched round ball.

Last edited:
Ill be starting off with my 2008 Diamond by Bowtech Justice bow. Once gun season gets here it will be with my new H&R 1871 Ultra Slug Shotgun in 20 gauge.

First season is the two day early ML season, so my Savage Smokeless ML10II goes first. Load is 46 grains of IMR 4227 with a 300 grain pure lead cast HP.

For the regular rifle season I'm thinking I just might hunt with my BLR in 358 Win with cast bullets for woods duty. The bullet will be a NOE 230 grain cast HP with the powder yet to be determined. For the pastures it will be a Mark X Mauser with a PacNor 257 Wby barrel and Hornady 90 grain GMX pushed to 3500+ fps by a large amount of RL22.

Deer Rifle 4 is in mid/late November. I plan on using:
first swing: Bushmaster 7.62x39 AR upper with Burris Fast Fire red dot.
second shift: Ted Williams 30-06 using 163gr TSX Fed and 2-7 Burris scope.
3rd swing: stock Arisaka 99 with Hornady 150 grain soft points.

Hopefully, I'll get an elk in either the archery and/or rifle 3 seasons and my freezer will be so full that I won't be able to fit a deer in anyhow and will have to skip deer season.

Or maybe I'll go anyway and just donate to my neighbors freezers.

My choices for deer will be determined by which unit I hunt in.

1. On my favorite island it will be either a Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casul with 265 gr. Journey xtp and a Burris 2-7 scope. Or a TC Encore 12 ga slug gun, Hornady sst sabot slugs and an old 3-9x40 Swift rifle scope. Accompanied by my Ruger Redhawk 44 mag, 240 gr. xtp.

Off the island it is a toss up between a Rem.700 in 243 win. 100 gr. Federal blue box ammo, and a Mossberg 100 atr in 30/06. 150 gr. Rem. Cor loct. And a Burris fullfield II 3-9x40.

For elk it will be a Knight Bighorn .50 cal. With 295 gr. Powerbelts over 100 gr. Hogdon triple 7.

Black bear and cougar will be whatever of the above is in my hands at the time.

Well mine will start off with archery season(another thread). Along with small game.(yet another thread).

As for rifle, the Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 with handloads. Looking like 47.0 gr. of Reloader 19 and 140gr. Nosler balistic tips.

Pistol will be on my side, either my Springfield Armory Champion 45ACP, or the Hi-Point 40S&W.

Didn't get the Elk drawing again this year, so no 7mm Rem Mag...:(

Depends on the weather. If it is rainstorms, the .223 AR goes out. Clear weather, probably my 7x57, 6.5, or 30-30. As someone else posted, I am having a hard time getting some ammo components.

Hmmm let's see ...

BOW SEASON:

Matthews SL-1 (?)

FIREARMS SEASON:

1. Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter .44 mag (7.5" barrel, FO front sight)
2. Glock 20 SF 10mm w/ Burris Fastfire 3 Red-Dot and a 10rd mag
3. Fusion Traditional Hunter longslide 1911 in 10mm w/adjustable target sights

I'll probably start with the Glock 20 or the Ruger as I have yet to get a deer with either of them yet.

Looks like I may be down one rifle to choose from. One of the kids at church yesterday was talking about going deer hunting during the youth season. (he is a very small framed kid also). The guy who was going to take him was talking about letting him shoot the 12 ga. slug gun to know what to expect, I stepped in (small church and know both of them very well) and offered my NEF Handi-Rifle in .223. Have plenty of ammo, including Barnes TSX 55gainers and Nosler Partitions in 60 grainers. At the short range where he will be hunting I have no doubt of the outcome if he does his part.

If it is rainstorms, the .223 AR goes out. Clear weather, probably my 7x57, 6.5, or 30-30

That is *one* weak description of the details that I asked for. ;)

Don't get me wrong, Brian - the Encore PH in 7-08 is very slick, quite possibly in 2nd place - but an open sighted buffalo gun? C'mon, that takes the cake so far.

P.S. I already changed my plan for gun season, from the Win 70 in .243 win, to this new-to-me Ruger 77 with 19.25" bbl, custom match chamber (supposedly), and Hogue rubber stock, in .223 Rem, with Nosler factory ammo shooting 64 bonded flat base (they are also "flat-nosed"). Gonna sight it today.

Last edited:
I can't get my rifles to go out to play when it's raining. Bunch of woosies!

My favorite rifle is a .270 Win, Rem 700 BDL Stainless, Leupold 3-9x scope, HS Precision Sendero Stock

Others that will see service by grandkids: .243 Win, Tikka T-3 Lite, Customized (1980 vintage), .243 Rem 700 ADL, with stainless PAC-NOR super-match barrel, Pillar-Bedded in the original cut-checkered walnut stock.

All rifles are capable of 1/2 minute groups, or better.

Ammo is all handloaded, using Hornady GMX bullets at respectable velocities.

The .243s haven't shot deer yet, but if the grandkids don't do it, I'll be tempted to do it myself. The Tikka is one sweet-carrying rifle! I took it out a bit last year, but didn't see any bucks.

The .270 is a veteran and has shot all my deer for about 20 years.

I only ever hunt deer with one bow and one rifle anymore. I do a lot of nuisance permits for several local farmers so I'll use diffrent rifles or shotguns like my mauser's, mosin's, odd rifles, and shotguns. But for actual deer season I take what I refer to as my serious gun and serious bow to try and fill my tags.
Archery
2012 Matthews Helium @ 63#
HHA single pin optimizer sight
Gold tip arrows topped of with 100 grain Striker G5's

Gun Season
Remington 700 sps stainless steel in .308win
topped off with a Nikon Monarch 3x12x42 scope
150 grain federal power-shoks soft points

Jeeze, where will I start......My usuall deer rifle is my Savage 110,.270win Vortex Diamondback combo, 130 grn Accubond. Or maybe 130grn Barnes TTSX, and theres the 130 grn partition,,,,and 130 grn BTip from Nosler..

Maybe my model 70,, .7mm rem mag, Vortex Viper HS, 4_16X44, Using theBerger 168 grn VLD hunting bullet,,,,..

Maybe model 700, 3006 with Vortex Viper 4-16x44, utilizing 165grn Btips, Accubonds, Sierra Gameking Hollowpoint boatails......

Dont know yet...:rolleyes:

My whitetail rigs are pretty basic. For firearms season I'll be taking my heavy octagon 24" barreled rossi 92 .44 magnum. Full buckhorn rear sight with a marbles brass bead front blade. The load is yet to be determined. Last year I headshot a doe with a 240gr fiochi lead flat point. I have about 6 I'm going to test at sight in this fall. Including the 220gr ftp

muzzle loader season, my 1985 world fair edition TC renegade. Globe front sight and Williams adjustable rear. 80grs of swiss pushing a .490 LRB patched with .15 lubed pillow tic, set off by German hot musket cap.

Last edited:
Black powder - Older Traditions .45 cal inline with 195 gr barnes mz sabots.

White tail - Weatherby Vanguard VGX in .270 Win with a Bushnell trophy 4-12x. I like the 50mm bell for the light gathering. 130 gr SGK over a moderate charge of IMR 4064.

Savage 11 trophy with the Nikon prostaff in .308 Win. This will get 190 gr Berger VLD's over 4064

Black bear - My .270 with 140 gr Barnes TSX's and IMR 4350.

Should be a fun year. I can't wait for Black powder. Good luck fellas

MKII Ruger 25-06, Stag mod.15 556, Ruger SRH 454 2X8X28 SCOPE.Thats my freezer fillers of choice this year.:rolleyes:

Mule deer--doe license again this year. Late season---1st 2 weeks of December.

25-06 Ruger 77 MKii loaded with roll-yur=own with 110 Accubond over 59 gr of Retumbo. Leupold VXiii 3 1/2 - 10.

White tail only round here. Ill start with my T/C omega with a leupold VXII 3-9X40. Its loaded with a 260gr scorpion PT gold (great bullets if you aint used them they are by harvester) over 105gr of blackhorn 209.

After that its modern gun. My main gun is a win 70 in 30-06 with a nikon prostaff 4-12X40. In my chamber is a sierra 165gr gameking HPBT over 57gr of imr 4350.

After a few fall to that ill use my new savage axis II in 7mm-08 with the package weaver scope (aint upgraded yet) with a a 139 or 140gr hornady interlock, nosler B-tip or accubond (havnt settled on one yet they all shoot great) over 39gr of imr 4064.

And if i get a slickhead within 50yrds theyll fall to my SBH bisley hunter in .44 mag. With a 240gr xtp over 22gr of 2400.

Disclamer, dont try these loads without working up as the 30-06 is at max and the 44 load is over max.

My go to gun for whitetails is my Marlin 1895M in .450....
BUT
They just logged the land I hunt and (as we have seen in the past) we expect the deer to be taking advantage of the downed tops for cover, so this year I will be beating the bush with my 20 ga Ithaca 37R topped with a red dot.
Not sure yet if I am taking my .450 or an open sight, single shot 12 ga Ithaca for a backup gun.

Back