Gents & ladies: deer season is almost here - pick your tool(s)

Some tools are on loan.
Some tools are 'in the shop' for upgrades or repairs.
Some tools need restoration, before they can hunt again.
Some tools lack enough ammunition and/or component bullets to be useful.

So, the details are a little fuzzy, and can change at a moment's notice.

...But, it looks like Osiris (.458 SOCOM, 16.25" bbl, AR) will be the primary for Elk (maybe deer, too), with 325 gr FTXs running about 1,800 fps. The .444 Marlin Handi-Rifle will be the short range backup, with 275 gr swaged bullets (.40 S&W case) running 2,332 fps.

For 'long range' work, or if all else fails... The .270 Win is on standby. -Ruger 77 MkII Sporter / 140 gr Nosler Partition at 2,790 fps ("low" velocity, but very accurate).

7.5" Ruger Super Blackhawk with 310 gr lead flat points, if I choose to carry a sidearm.

If I fill my tags, I chase chickens and rabbits for the rest of the season. The .444 will be used as a .410 shotgun (.410 loads in .444 cases) or the 20 ga will come out if it's available.
The 12 ga shotguns are all currently out of commission. :rolleyes:

I'll be using my Yugoslavian made Zastava M59/66A1 "Papovka" rifle in 7.62x39mm this year for white tails.

I plan on keeping the gun 100% stock and in full, authentic military condition. The only thing I will do is pin the magazine to the allotted 5 round limit.

Heard of 2-7s but not higher than that. Cool.

I've got a 2.5-8 Leupold VariX pistol scope. That is as high a magnification as I'd ever want (not that I even want that much).

U.D. said:
So you're saying there's a 3-12 made for handguns with LER? Never heard of such. Heard of 2-7s but not higher than that. Cool.

Yep, there sure is::)

http://burrisoptics.com/handgun3x12x.html

I had a 2-7 (Burris also) but I like more.

This is it when it wore the 2-7:
attachment.php

Last edited:
You poor fellows, deer season is already here if you can stand the heat and humidity that came with it.

Remington 700 SPS Varmint in 7mm08, customized to be a good gun now, Trijicon Accupoint 5X20X50 Amber BAC. Shooting a 150grn Nosler BT handload, it's deadly

Savage 10 Precision Carbine in 308 with Bushnell 4200 2.5X10X50 Ill #4 shooting 165grn Nosler BT handloads.

Savage 10 Predator Hunter in .243 with Weaver SS 2X10X50 EBX shooting 90grn Nosler BT handloads

Ruger No.1 in 7mmRM with Bausch and Lomb 3X9X40 Plex shooting 140grn Barnes TTSX handloads

Beretta Extrema synthetic shooting the dreaded buckshot in various pellet sizes.

Elite Hunter @ 65#'s shooting Gold Tip arrows and Slick Trick Magnum 100's.

Maybe a S&W 657 Special Hunter with a B&L 2X7X32 shooting 210grn Hornady XTP handloads.

Rifle season opens on the 20th for us. I'm taking my Vanguard S2 in 243 Winchester topped with a Zeiss 3x9. I'll shoot 80 grain Barnes TTSX's over a generous but safe amount of Superformance that chronographed fast enough I know something was not right with it:D My oldest son is going to use his Remington 700 in 7mm Remington Mag. It has a Leupold VXIII 3.5x10 on it and he'll be shooting 150 grain Nosler E-Tips over IMR4831. And finally my youngest son is going to be using my Savage model 99 in 300 Savage. It's got a Weaver 3x9 scope and he'll be shooting 150 grain Sierra's SP loaded with BL-C(2). I shot my first buck ever with that rifle and it would be really neat if he could do the same.

Here's my lineup:

Blackpowder season- T/C impact .50 wearing an older(Japanese) Tasco World Class 2.5-10x50. Shooting 250 gr Barnes Spitfire TMZ over 100 grains Blackhorn 209

Rifle season-

Short range, woods- Semi-custom Remington 700 BDL rebarreled to .308, barrel shortened to 16", barreled action Cerakoted black, Boyd's Thumbhole Laminate stock. Has a Burris FFII 3-9x40 scope. Shooting a 150 gr Sierra Pro-Hunter over 46.2 gr RL-15, WLR primer, Lapua brass.

Longer range, Open field- Remington 700 BDL Varmint Special. 6mm remington. Older Japanese Tasco World Class 6-24x50 scope. Shooting 100 gr Sierra Gameking over 44.5 gr Hybrid 100V, Winchester brass, CCI 200 primer

I have a few other guns that could make a guest appearance in the woods if I get a deer with both of these, like a '59 model Marlin 336 "texan" in .35 rem using the open sights. Or a Ruger Super Blackhawk stainless .44 mag 7.5" barrel. There are several more but they don't get out much. I'm getting too many safe queens :o

45-70 Rolling Block, long range peep sights, 405gr cast lead FPHB over 70gr Swiss ffg.

Sounds like fun... should I give it a whirl?

Yes, definitely. I once knew a man named Quigley that would agree. ;)

Stay at my cabin for both deer season {if required.} Both Modern & B/Powder_ Nov 1st thru mid Dec

1. Rem Mtn rifle 270 Win _Timney trigger installed _Vari X (3)__ 3-1/2 x10
2. Rem Mtn rifle 25-06 Rem _Timney trigger installed_Vari X (3)__3-1/2 x10
3. Savage 99 E (carbine) 300 sav._ Open barrel sights
4. T/C Hawken 45-cal Rd ball only barrel_ Fiber optic {open} sights
5. T/C Hawken 54-cal Rd ball only barrel_ Fiber optic {open} sights
6. Marlin model 25 _22 Mag_open barrel sights _ for varmints seen while seated in my deer stand.
Have another weapon along. C/C that's holstered for special duties. (See no need to comment about.)

Arctic Cat 500 ATV used to transport this hunter too & from his stand.

EKA folding fillet (wood handle model) aka > Ms. Sharpie.
Wyoming Knife (chrome metal) aka > Mr. Zipper.

I'm planning on being pretty diverse for me at least:
1. 6.8spc AR Frankengun
2. .44mag Smith 629
3. Ruger Deerfield .44mag
4. My great grandfathers model 12 16ga with buckshot (need it for dog drives, right Salty lol).
5. 700 in .270
6 788 in .308

I will probably be sitting in the stand with my Rem R15, loaded with some 55 grain Barnes TSX. At other times I may be sitting there with my Knight DISC .50 cal. Only sure one is my wife, she will be in her stand with her boringly dependable Ruger 77 Stainless/synthetic (the boat paddle stock one), .243 whooting handloaded 100 grain Hornady Interlock's and likely I will spend some time being her "go getter" she shoots em I go get them, and process them.

I am taking one rifle fits all. 6.5 grendel AR15 for deer, cougar, black bear, and Elk.

I will be packing a 22lr for grouse. probably won't bother with a shotgun for turkey.

Hey, Brian, look at it this way buddy, your Encore is still cooler than my Marlin.:cool:

Further evidence provided, when I queried the little sister as to what was cooler between a Rolling Rock, an Encore, or my 336C, she replied the Rolling Rock, followed by the Encore, and then informed me that I wasn't a cowboy and my carbine didn't even have a scope.

If anyone needs, I'll be crying the corner. :D

Back