Fun gun?

Prof Young

Okay, yes, I know it's all relative but . . .

What is the most fun hand gun you have ever shot?

Currently I'm really enjoying my Ruger 22/45.

Life is good.
Prof Young

There are different kinds of fun. One one end of the spectrum, I really enjoyed the XVR in .460 S&W. It is surprisingly easy to shoot for such an incredible level of power in a handgun, especially with the common 200-grain loads. I know the big 500 can throw a lot more weight but it also crosses over into "downright uncomfortable" territory as it does.

I got together with some friends who had respectively taken their time to gather up jugs, bottle, old canned goods, fruit, etc. This was the star of the show, especially on a few oversized plastic containers of peanut butter. :D

The Grendel P30 'cause I don't have to stop at 9 or 10. If I had had the money then likely a Calico because I wouldn't have to stop at 25 or 30 ...

I enjoy shooting my Walther PPK/S .22 these days. Inexpensive, reliable and inexpensive.

--------------
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Even though I'm an old revolver guy, I just can't get enough of my CZ75B SA. It shoots so well, recoil is soft, fits my hand like a glove, uber reliable and is very very accurate.

A pair of Mattel "Fanner 50's" I had as a kid.

And later, as an adult, I stayed home to care for my wife after her medical problems. It made for long, boring days. I kept a Wal-Mart break-barrel air rifle and about ten tins of pellets, next to the door. When things were quit, I'd step out front, toss a few cans on the ground and walk them out of range with that air-rifle, then I'd retrieve the cans, and start all over again.

Opps. Sorry, but that wasn't a hand gun.

Okay, yes, I know it's all relative but . . .

What is the most fun hand gun you have ever shot?

Currently I'm really enjoying my Ruger 22/45. . . . .
Same here. I did some pretty serious horse-trading around Christmas and came away with a 22/45 Lite for me and a 22/45 for Mrs. McGee. We've both been enjoying them. After the .22 Drought of '08 to whenever, I'd almost forgotten just how much fun a .22 can be.

After that, or when I'm feeling like I want a little more recoil, my 1911 in .45.

Last edited:
I think the hand gun that I have that induces the most smiles is the Coonan. Lots of bark and flash, not a lot of bite. Very easy to handle and what isn’t fun about launching 357 Magnums from a 1911-ish frame?

Handgun - S&W model 27 with my .357 reloads
Rifle - Henry lever action 22lr
Shotgun - Remington 1100 12ga with 28" barrel

At times, the flavor of the week may be the answer to that question.

But, the long-term answer is my Browning Buckmark 'Standard'.
Fun pistol. Never lets me down unless I let IT down with improper maintenance.

Runner-up would be my brother's Browning 1911-22.
...More fun than a staple gun and a bag of hamsters.

"...a full-auto Thompson, you need to..." Doesn't have to be a Chopper, but absolutely. Any SMG will have you with a great, big, stupid grin on your face for weeks.
However, there is no 'most fun' firearm. All of 'em are fun.

Back