FN-49 Owner's Room

Aloha FN-49 Owners

Just got to this thread and found that there are a few owners around. Retired Army; living here in Hawaii. Just bought a Vennie FN-49, 7x57mm, pristine condition. Along with it was the sling and bayonet and about 500 rds of Chilain cartridges (old and dirty - need cleaning). SN is 4 digits (48xx). Could not beileve the lack of recoil when firing it. I do believe that I will really enjoy this rifle. Any comments any of you may have will be greatly appreciated. Aloha to all.

Last edited:
FN-49 x2

I am a new proud owner of one Egyptian (original, not Century) and one Venezuelan. These rifles are soooo nasty-looking (in a good way!). Have not gotten out to the range to shoot them yet, but have field-stripped and cleaned them both, replaced one-piece firing pin where needed (I think it was only the Egyptian, but anyway wanted to inspect and be sure).
We need to get more submissions for this thread!
Has anyone found and used a 20-round magazine?

I didn't know this thread existed. I bought an Egyptian FN49 about a year ago, and it is EASILY my favorite rifle. I like it better than my M1 Garand even. That thing is a tack driver with modern PPU match ammo. These are really nice looking guns too.

It grabbed my attention due to its similar looks to the M1 Garand, but I quickly snatched it up when I realized what it was. It further interests me because Arabic was the second language I learned, so it is kind of nifty to read all the stuff on it.

Here she is:
DSCN0547_zpsffdd1888.jpg

Out of Battery Slamfire

Hey all,
I recently had an 'out of battery slamfire' in my, two piece firing pin, FN49. I had made 8mm Mauser ammo from milsurp 30-06 cases. The dimensions of the cases (30-06 and 7.92x57mm S) are identical at the base and only need to be cut down to the correct length, sized and trimmed. The problem with making your own ammo for the FN49 is that it is a very robust firing mechanism that will ignite a sensitive primer before the round is seated in the chamber. I was using CCI 200 Large Rifle Primers which are reasonably sensitive for bolt action rifles and, I have found out, too sensitive for semi auto rifles. Even though I've used these primers for years in my FALs, and WASR AK47, I'm going to stop and use CCI 34 Large, 41 Small, or milsurp in the semi auto rifles.
The 'oob' slamfire caused the receiver and bolt carrier to become a bad fit! I searched (Google) and found a gunsmith in Missouri who could fix the rifle. His name is Guy Snelen at AMG International in Humansville, Missouri. He repaired it, test fired it, and sent it home to me. If anyone needs a good gunsmith, get in touch with Guy.

600-1000 bucks, depending on caliber. The 308 box mag conversions run the most, typically. The 7mm and 30-06's after that, then the "lowly" 8mm Egyptians being the most affordable. Very solid guns, basically FALs dressed up like Garands.

TCB

whats wrong with the 8mm ones.. Thats the one i was wanting

There is nothing wrong with them, they are just the most common.

I have one of the Egyptians, (can be seen earlier in the thread), I really enjoy shooting it, I just need to start reloading for it.

Anyone have any experience (good or bad) with the Argentine 49s with the removable 20 round mags?

Last edited:
I have an Argentine 308. The only serious problem I have had was when I tried some of the 308 loads I had loaded up for my 308 bolt rifle.
I use CCI 200 or Wolf LR in my semi auto rifles, I use Remington 91/2 in the 700.
I decided to try the 150 grain SP load in the FN49 and see if they shot alright, on the third pull of the trigger it doubled.
Not an "out of Battery" event or anything, the primer was pierced and backed out , brass was intact ,no bulge or anything. Rifle was fine.
Since then I have duplicated the SP load for the Argentine but with CCI 200 primers. The adjustable gas system sure is nice .
I have given some thought to blocking one of my 10 round mags to 5 round and maybe take a go at elk with it.

Looks like it's ok to keep this thread going after months off, right? I came away from the most recent gun show with a couple rifles, one of which is a Luxembourg FN-49 in 30-06. It looks to be in great shape, the numbers on the metal all match (although the number on the stock doesn't). I'm looking forward to taking it out the next time I go shooting. A couple questions:

1. What loads are ok to use in the FN-49? I know the M1 Garand is somewhat sensitive to heavier loads, is the FN-49 similar in that regard? Will I be safe using my M2 ball ammo from my M1 stash in the FN-49?

2. I see a guide for stripper clips. I've read this evening that M1A/M14 stripper clips work well; does that work out well for everyone else?

Thanks in advance!

If my memory serves me, the FN49 has over 140 parts. For your sake I hope buying parts for the 49 is not like buying parts for a car. Taking one down for cleaning must be a labor of love.

Modeler, M2 loads will work just fine in your FN-49. If I recall correctly, they are a pretty middle of the road loading. Your advantage is the adjustable gas system. Dial that in with your ammo to prevent your rifle from taking a beating

Modeler, M2 loads will work just fine in your FN-49. If I recall correctly, they are a pretty middle of the road loading. Your advantage is the adjustable gas system. Dial that in with your ammo to prevent your rifle from taking a beating

Awesome, thanks!

Not sure if the Luxembourg model is the same as the Argentine model in regards to the stripper clips, the M14 clips do not fit in my Argentine bolt but they do work in the Fal charger I use to load my magazines.

If you find they do work or want to try some in your Lux, shoot me a line, I have a thousand or so.

So I want to use a suppressor on my Lux FN-49. From everything I've read the muzzle thread is 15x1 RH. I have an appointment tomorrow with a shop to have an endcap for my Silencerco Harvester threaded to 15x1, so tonight I got everything out and put together. Just for fun I decided to see how close the 5/8-24 endcap is. It slid over fine. I started to screw it on and it went. A little loose at first, but it tightened up as it went until it hit the shoulder and stopped. I unscrewed it and it came off easily. I put it on and took it off a couple more times just to be sure I wasn't losing my mind. Finally I put the suppressor on the endcap and tightened the whole assembly down; everything looks right. The suppressor is concentric to the bore, everything locks down like it should but still comes off easily.

Are the threads on the rifle really 15x1? Are 15x1 and 5/8-24 actually the same thread by some miracle of Imperial/Metric conversion? Have I lost my mind? Was it all a dream?

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
FN49 Springs & things

Just won an auction on a very crisp Lux FN49 and was looking to find extra springs etc. Its on its way and should be here in a couple of days. I went ahead ordered new FP springs from Numrich Arms but didn't see and other springs in their parts lists. Anyone know of any sources. I'm not sure if this rifle has the old one piece FP or the newer two piece. From what I have seen the replacement two piece rear pins don't appear to have the safety slot in them. Guess a gunsmith could cut the fp safety slot if needed.

Thanks for any suggestions

Anyone ever seen one of these with a 17” barrel?

I recently acquired this Egyptian contract 8mm Mauser. It appears to have been sporterized as it has a 17.25” barrel with an overall length of 39”. It is missing it’s unit disc but the receiver stamp is a crown indicating it was a complete rifle at time of sale. Numbers match between the receiver stock and barrel. Shortened barrel seems to have been properly crowned. The bore is clean and the barrel is bright. Finish on the receiver is not perfect but no rust and honestly the honest wear is an asset.

I made this album on Flickr, it is not for sale, but if anyone familiar with these rifles would care to share impressions I would be grateful. With the brass buttplate and the short barrel she has been christened Thumper.

This is an old thread so I expect no responses, but I figured I would drop a line where the big fish have been.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/157551037@N08/sets/72157697739015912

Thanks!
chrisbags

This post brought to you by the letters F and N, and the number 49.
—————-
“Lord make me fast and accurate”

Back